State pension regs

Veggielover

Just received notification of my state pension, and the accompanying notes state that you must inform the DWP if you leave the UK for three months or more. Does this have an effect on payment?, and if so how do those who can manage extended time abroad get around this?

Chris

pelmetman - 2013-06-28 10:11 PM

I wonder if there is anyone that actually tells em? :D..........

I thought the same, however, passport scanned on exit and entry so no big deal to big brother to work out how long you have been abroad, but I have no doubt there will be ways around this. In addition to pension it may also effect being retained on your doctors list.

Intending being out the country for just under three months so looking forward to replies to this posting.

Veggielover - 2013-06-28 9:53 PM

Just received notification of my state pension, and the accompanying notes state that you must inform the DWP if you leave the UK for three months or more. Does this have an effect on payment?, and if so how do those who can manage extended time abroad get around this?

Chris

It's difficult to comment usefully on your inquiry without seeing the notes you were sent.

There will be beneft-related instances when the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) must be informed of even quite short periods spent outside the UK. However, if a person remains a UK resident, is in receipt of a UK State Pension and has arranged to have that pension paid in the UK, longish term trips abroad should have no effect on pension payments. Obviously, if one chose to live outside the UK or wanted the UK State pension paid abroad if you were travelling outside the UK, the DWP would probably need to be involved.

If the notes you've received are genuinely confusing, or seem to conflict with your motorcaravanning plans, I suggest you seek advice from the DWP.

Guest pelmetman
sshortcircuit - 2013-06-28 10:29 PM

I thought the same, however, passport scanned on exit and entry so no big deal to big brother to work out how long you have been abroad, but I have no doubt there will be ways around this. In addition to pension it may also effect being retained on your doctors list.

Intending being out the country for just under three months so looking forward to replies to this posting.

We intend spending 10 months of the year traveling Europe :-S...................so this thread will be of interest to quite a few people who spend long periods away.............and draw the state pension ;-)............

The impact on a person's UK State Pension of extended outside-the-UK travelling is likely to be tax-related rather than simply relating to payment of the pension.

If you plan to be outside the UK for 10 months of the year, you may well be classed as a non-UK resident. See

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad/tax-on-your-state-pension

I don't know what the implications are in your case, but the HMRC should be able to advise:

http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kb5/hmrc/contactus/view.page?record=h40mW9YbrhU

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2013-06-29 9:33 AM

The impact on a person's UK State Pension of extended outside-the-UK travelling is likely to be tax-related rather than simply relating to payment of the pension.

If you plan to be outside the UK for 10 months of the year, you may well be classed as a non-UK resident. See

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad/tax-on-your-state-pension

I don't know what the implications are in your case, but the HMRC should be able to advise:

http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kb5/hmrc/contactus/view.page?record=h40mW9YbrhU

It is a grey area that no one including the government appears to have dealt with :-S............we will have a UK registered address for mail, doctors, voting etc..... ;-)......

For people who full time the regulations are even more vague :-|

My parents lived in Spain for six years and had full residencia over there, but it did not affect either their State pensions or my Dad's teacher's pension. That was until 2001, so things might have changed since then. But I'm sure lots of people live overseas and still get their pensions. Why wouldn't they?

sshortcircuit - 2013-06-28 10:29 PM

On our last 4/5 trips to France our passports have only been scanned once that was a couple of weeks ago when returning to UK most times we just hold them up in the van & they wave us through.

The same seems to apply to nhs cover, it seems after limited research you lose entitlement if you are resident in another country for more than 6mths. Not saying this is correct but that is my interpretation of the dwp site.

lennyhb - 2013-07-01 5:20 PM On our last 4/5 trips to France our passports have only been scanned once that was a couple of weeks ago when returning to UK most times we just hold them up in the van & they wave us through.

Absolutely correct, assuming you are using the Tunnel, only once in the last nine crossings have I seen them scan the passport. They have tightened up on the security checks recently 'tho. Can't comment on the ferries as I don't use them.

Guest pelmetman
lennyhb - 2013-07-01 10:37 PM

Never use the tunnel just the ferries.

That's reassuring then :-S.........................the systems working well *-)

Archived