Wild camping tips

Geoff Bell

Point taken Dave. As a youngster I remember trying to impress the girls by riding my old A.J.S. back and fore the town centre. The local sergeant eventually pulled me over and told me to amuse myself somewhere else. I indignantly replied that I had every right to use the roads. A few weeks later I watched as most of my pay disappeared on the counts of having faulty brakes, exhaust, lights and incorrectly placed licence disc. Lesson learned. Getting back to wild camping and occasional stopovers. The latter usually involves nothing more than a break during a long journey while the first is a mode of camping enjoyed by many, including myself. As long as you take into account the considerations of others there should be no problems. My wife and I once watched the sunrise over Enard Bay on the west coast of Scotland each with a cuppa brewed with water from a nearby stream. Absolute magic epitomising for us at least what camping is all about. Compare this to one of larger club sites. Six metre rule ( I much preferred the six mile rule as in Scotland ) grass cut to regulation 1 inch and half expecting the dulcet tones of reveille to raise you from your sleep at 5 in the morning. Still each to their own. One other thing concerning overnight stops during a journey. We often use motorway services, the last one cost 12£ with free breakfasts thrown in. Howard.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[QUOTE]Geoff Bell - 2006-08-06 12:37 AM Having just looked at a site mentioned earlier by Enrico I picked up this tip regarding 'wild camping' . If you want to overnight somewhere carry a broken fuse and replace it with the vehicle lights fuse. If Mr Plod or anybody questions your intentions demonstrate the failure of your vehicle lights and explain you had no option until you can fix the problem in the morning. There must be loads of different excuses fellow motorhomers have given when faced with no other option than just pulling over in a layby, and I would be intrigued to hear them. [/QUOTE]

This is becoming an interesting string.  Now, the $64,000 question.  Can anyone give a precise, comprehensive, definition of what constitutes "wild" camping.  I'm interested, because it seems different people mean different things when the speak about this.  Any takers?

I'll give it a go, but its only my opinion and at least it will start the ball rolling. Wild camping with regard to a motorhomer is : Parking up on land not owned by you without previously paying for the privilidge or obtaining permission from the owner or controling bodies. Not necessarily setting up outside the confines of your vehicle, but overnight sleeping would definately constitute camping. This particularly includes only recreational vehicles and not Truckers carrying out their normal work. In my opinion this really only applies to overnight stays and not during daylight hours.

[QUOTE]Geoff Bell - 2006-08-07 9:40 PM I'll give it a go, but its only my opinion and at least it will start the ball rolling. Wild camping with regard to a motorhomer is : Parking up on land not owned by you without previously paying for the privilidge or obtaining permission from the owner or controling bodies. Not necessarily setting up outside the confines of your vehicle, but overnight sleeping would definately constitute camping. This particularly includes only recreational vehicles and not Truckers carrying out their normal work. In my opinion this really only applies to overnight stays and not during daylight hours. [/QUOTE]

I'll be interested to see if others agree.  Your definition is certainly what I think the term implies.  However, I'm not at all sure the practice is limited to just overnighting.  Some, of course would call it trespass!

But why do you need a precise, comprehensive definition on wild camping. As you said Brian, it is different things to different people. Most probably a backpacker, walking of miles into the wilderness would consider most m/h users as a bunch of weak kneed tourists whenever we venture to out of the way places using only b roads and vans packed with every comfort known to man. For myself it offers the opportunity to get away from overcrowded campsites and packed resorts, to places where you can hear yourself think and room to stretch out mentally and physically without tripping over next doors guy ropes. Howard.

I would agree with this definition in general but I would always, at least, try to find the land owner and ask permission. Obviously this is not possible for an overnight sleep stop in an apropriate type of layby but if it were on green pasture for example the chances are a nearby farmer holds the title to the land and as a simple courtesy I would try to find out who and ask permission, especially if I intended to stay for more than one night. D.

Guest starspirit
Anyone driving into an obviously enclosed or maintained area, with or without a gate or parking blocking an entrance, deserves to be thrown out at 3 am. When camping wild in the Highlands where it is often not obvious who owns the land it never hurts to either ask a passing farmer or enquire at the nearest house. Sometimes you get a smile and an OK and sometimes you get no smile and a firm no. You can't win 'em all!

[QUOTE]howardtcz - 2006-08-07 11:46 PM But why do you need a precise, comprehensive definition on wild camping. As you said Brian, it is different things to different people. Most probably a backpacker, walking of miles into the wilderness would consider most m/h users as a bunch of weak kneed tourists whenever we venture to out of the way places using only b roads and vans packed with every comfort known to man. For myself it offers the opportunity to get away from overcrowded campsites and packed resorts, to places where you can hear yourself think and room to stretch out mentally and physically without tripping over next doors guy ropes. Howard.[/QUOTE]

Simply because so many people refer to "wild camping".  If, when they do so, they are in fact all referring to different things there will be confusion as to what they are actually talking about. 

For example, from what I've read I'm pretty sure some folk refer to stopping on French aires as "wild camping".  If they then recount their experiences, and someone else understands that term differently, they will gain a completely the wrong impression as to how safe, acceptable, enjoyable etc etc their own kind of "wild camping" will be.

Surely, there is a benefit in understanding each other and some disadvantage in misunderstanding?

[QUOTE]Dave Newell - 2006-08-08 7:14 AM I would agree with this definition in general but I would always, at least, try to find the land owner and ask permission. Obviously this is not possible for an overnight sleep stop in an apropriate type of layby but if it were on green pasture for example the chances are a nearby farmer holds the title to the land and as a simple courtesy I would try to find out who and ask permission, especially if I intended to stay for more than one night. D.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dave.

However, by Geoff's definition you wouldn't then be wild camping!  This is what interests me in the term.  You and Geoff could be discussing wild camping and nodding sagely at each other, while talking about quite different things!

So, says I, time for a common definition.  Come on guys, keep them coming!  What does it, really, mean?

[QUOTE]starspirit - 2006-08-08 10:37 AM Anyone driving into an obviously enclosed or maintained area, with or without a gate or parking blocking an entrance, deserves to be thrown out at 3 am. When camping wild in the Highlands where it is often not obvious who owns the land it never hurts to either ask a passing farmer or enquire at the nearest house. Sometimes you get a smile and an OK and sometimes you get no smile and a firm no. You can't win 'em all![/QUOTE]

Personally, I completely agree.  Always ask, and if unsure move on, or be prepared to apologise and move.  I believe there is a different sat of laws about access to land in Scotland, where I think there is some right to access to unfenced land or somethig similar.  Having said that, driving 3+ tonnes of motorhome off the road in much of Scotland would be a bit of an act of faith!  Proceed with caution!

Going back to Brians comments on landowners with shotguns reminds me of a terrifying experience I had some years ago involving a fishing trip to Ireland. After a long journey by road and ferry, I arrived at Rosslare and joined the N25 west. I had a overnight stop in mind but due to fatigue decided to stop sooner than planned. Leaving the main route I came across a small village and spotting a lane decided to check if there might be suitable place to rest overnight. I soon found some waste ground and pulled over. The only sign of habitation was a farmhouse 50 yards further on, but seeing no sign of life I settled down for the night. No sooner had I dropped of to sleep than I was woken by someone banging on the side of the van and loud angry voices. Wearing only shorts, I jumped out and was immediately confronted by two large and angry young men. Feeling threatened I called on my many years involved in martial arts and promptly disabled my two antagonists. My respite was short lived however as a older man emerged from the farmhouse screaming like a banshee and brandishing a shotgun. He fired of one round, presumably to frighten me, but to close for my liking. I immediatley raced off down a path on my left and coming to six bar gate cleared it with one leap. I now found myself in a small enclosure with only a barn at the far end offering sanction. Unfourtunately, the entrance to the barn was blocked by a large bull with small evil eyes. With the enraged farmer getting closer I had no choice but to charge the bull, dipping my shoulder and driving it back just far enough to gain access to the barn. To my dismay, there was no other way out and I was trapped. My only hope was a window set at least 15 ft high on the rear wall. Sprinting forward I leapt up and managed to get my fingertips onto the bottom sill. I hung there for a moment gathering my strength for one final effort, but just as I was about to make my escape, the farmer caught up with me. Grabbing me by the ankle, he started pulling my leg. Just like i,m pulling yours now. Howard.

Guest starspirit
To me wild camping is any form of longer term parking either by night or day for longer than just a break in any place where there is, a) no charge, b) no facilities, c) nothing to say that you can or cannot park. Any advance on these three basics as a concise definition? I of course also have my own rules of common sense regarding not making or being subjected to noise, not causing an obstruction, not being visually obtrusive (can't help being ugly!), no litter, no waste water etc.

Good point Brian, OK I'll try to be a bit more precise in my definition of "wild camping". Wild as in "out in the wilds" i.e. not on a site that charges money for the "pitch" and with no facilities, camping as in "camp set up" i.e awning out, outside chairs and table set up perhaps even the Cadac going. Sleeping for a few hours in an apropriate layby doesn't in my opinion class as wild camping, just kipping, taking a break, catching forty winks etc. D.

Geoff, some would call it theft ...dishonestly appropriating property belonging to another with the intention of depriving ..although it's land . It is still someones land . Someone has paid rent/rates .....?ect however do agree with the wild bit ....pulling up in a muck truck stop to me does not constitute wild .. ;-)

Apparently private land or not if the owner contacts the Police they will act in a civil role....If you remain on the land you put yourself in a position in which you form a contract with them, what if they wish to charge you. If you refuse to move they may offer to assist to move you with their Massey ferguson. if they clamp you, how are you to remove it ? If you damage it you will be arrested for criminal damage. Contrary to the statement that Police have no powers on private land . If you should stray into private land you should be ready to move no alcohol.

howardtcz I knew you were pulling my chain when I read the bit about you being in your shorts and jumping out of the van ... they'd have fallen about laughing immediately!!! Especially if it was the shorts with tweetie-pie on!!!

Archived