Water heater (gas)

Pete-B

I guess this question is like the proverbial length of string but after my fiasco at Sandringham last week when I tripped the power someone may be able to give me a rough idea.

Whilst I'm utterly convinced I didn't overload their power because all I had on was the water heater (set on 850 w), the fridge and two or three LCD lights and I'd had a lot more than that on during the previous days and my cable is OK. I got to wondering is it expensive to heat the water by gas? SWMBO and I are relatively new to camping so it's all trial and error. We've got the, Truma Ultrastore Rapid GE water heater and the Truma Ultaheat gas and lecky space heater. Basically I'd like a rough idea of how much it would cost to run these by gas? I fully appreciate it depends on how long you have them on and at what settings ETC ETC. But take the water heater it holds 10L, would it be best to leave it on or just fire it up when you want hot water? I suppose if I could get some idea of cost per hour it would help and the same for the heater.

I don't think these questions really apply at this time of the year I'm thinking more of when the weather turns cold and the kettles on, microwave perhaps and lecky hob.

I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions, for instance what do you do?

I've no hard and fast figures, but when heating water in our combi4 we seem to use a lot of gas, is there any reason you want the water permanently heated? we only turn on the water heater if needed for the shower.

p.s. If you use electric kettle, nuke and an electric hob all at same time your sure to start tripping power supply

Cannot give you the running costs. When on hook-up I tend to leave electric on, which to be honest is very greedy, of me, not the heater and must get out of this habit. With no hook-up you have no option and both to save gas and battery power I usually just switch on for the morning shower and then it would be a kettle if needed. As I have refillable gas bottle the cost of gas comes down so using gas is not a problem

colin - 2013-07-02 5:24 PM

I've no hard and fast figures, but when heating water in our combi4 we seem to use a lot of gas, is there any reason you want the water permanently heated? we only turn on the water heater if needed for the shower.

p.s. If you use electric kettle, nuke and an electric hob all at same time your sure to start tripping power supply

If you use all three of those things at the same you'll take out the entire County, let alone trip the electric RCD for your pitch!

We only have gas heating & water heating but with sites charging between £2 to £4 a night for electric it has to be cheaper to use gas, an 11kg bottle of gas lasts us 2-3 weeks (we are heavy users) costs about £15 to refill so for 3 weeks that's 71p a day, if a cylinder lasts only 2 weeks that's £1.07 a day.

If you are using exchange cylinders rather than refillable it would be around £1.08 a day (3 weeks) and £1.62 a day (2 weeks) based on Calor's list price for a 13kg cylinder.

For us a lot cheaper to use gas, so we don't waste our money on hook ups.

Probably more economical to only turn the water heating on when hot water required as the water cylinders are not insulated.

BGD - 2013-07-02 5:10 PM

colin - 2013-07-02 5:24 PM

If you use all three of those things at the same you'll take out the entire County, let alone trip the electric RCD for your pitch!

I knew Spanish electrics were dodgy Bruce but have they really got that bad? :D

The cost will depend very much on the pattern of use, but an idea can be gained from the operating documentation, available (for the Ultrastore Rapid GE) from here:

https://dealernew.truma.com/_anweisungen/Truma-Katalog/pdf_verzeichnis/70_000/70020_33900.pdf

The tech specs (added as a picture below), indicate that it will take about 61g of gas to heat a full tank from 15 °C to approx. 70 °C.

The cost of this will obviously depend on the unit cost of the gas used, but at current refill rrp, for Calor Propane from a 6kg bottle that represents just over 20p a time, and for a 13kg bottle (with a significantly lower unit price) just under 12p a time.

Similar calculations could be attempted for the space heater, but would be more difficult than the simplistic calculation above, as being thermostatically controlled, the gas consumption rate varies (by a large factor) depending on rather too many factors.

1081722776_UltrastoreGE.JPG.21c864626e54656fb11e4db322031ea7.JPG

Archived