Tunnel or ferry?

Pampam

Guest pelmetman
bendav - 2013-07-02 7:46 PM

TUNNEL especially if you have pets, other pluses, no delays due to bad weather, good deals to be had regarding prices if times and dates are not a problem

We got delayed a few Christmases ago on the chunnel ;-)....................wrong kinda snow *-)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 1footinthegrave
Mel B - 2013-07-03 6:04 PM

We paid £63 each way making a total £126 for which I used £40 of Tesco vouchers at 3 times value making £120 and paid £6 cash, the travel dates/times were as follows:

Outwards: Wed 15 May 2013 16.20

Inwards: Sun 30 June 2013 08.50

For us it makes sense as we have 3 dogs, one of which is absolutely terrified of ferries (bad experience on one) so whilst we can use the tunnel we will. We're going to Ireland next month so have no choice but to use the ferry but we'll be taking her up into the lounge area with us in a dog carrier so at least she will be with us.

I've just remembered one other benefit of using the tunnel - it doesn't make any extra charges for vehicle length, so those with longer motorhomes aren't charged any more - not applicable to us as we've only got a 6m van, but obviously saves cash for others.

I'm curious, you say one of your THREE dogs that you accommodate all in a tiny van, is terrified of Ferries, and yet you'll ignore that when there is no other travel option, strange folk you Dog lovers, I'm also curious as to the "bad experience " that your dog suffered, perhaps just the simple fact that dogs given a voice would say what the hell are you doing to me, dragging me round for hours and weeks cooped up in this tiny space.

1footinthegrave - 2013-07-03 6:29 PM

Sorry, a 6 metre van and three dogs, sounds like heaven. Another very good reason to stick with the ferries. :-S

And I'm still curious about why you folks think a saving of at best half an hour is such a big plus point, any offers...................

Mike, 90 minutes by ferry Dover/Calais

2hrs Dover/ Dunkirk

35 minutes Tunnel.

Then add on loading and offloading. There can be a plus for the ferries if you leave say 7am, 8.30 am when you get to Calais add 1hr makes it 9.30 am. you are just missing rush hour. By tunnel 7am leaving you arrive 7.35am add 1hr, 8.35am you are well into rush hour. It pays some time to pick the right Ferry or Tunnel crossing, don't forget the same applies when coming back, knock the 1hr off.

Dave

"Then add on loading and offloading. There can be a plus for the ferries if you leave say 7am, 8.30 am when you get to Calais add 1hr makes it 9.30 am. you are just missing rush hour. By tunnel 7am leaving you arrive 7.35am add 1hr, 8.35am you are well into rush hour. It pays some time to pick the right Ferry or Tunnel crossing, don't forget the same applies when coming back, knock the 1hr off. "

Gosh I am glad I have that extra hour on the ferry just to face up to this :-D

Ferries, everytime.....much more civilised than the cattle truck approach! especially if you use the executive lounge away from the chavs and kids.

However if you can use Tesco vouchers, as we did earlier this year, the return crossing cost £1! give me the cattle truck any time.

Guest 1footinthegrave
I'm still trying to find out what you folks do with that precious half hour apparently saved by using the tunnel. Perhaps you all stop and have coffee and breakfast that I've already had on the Ferry. :D

1footinthegrave - 2013-07-03 7:19 PM

I'm curious, you say one of your THREE dogs that you accommodate all in a tiny van, is terrified of Ferries, and yet you'll ignore that when there is no other travel option, strange folk you Dog lovers,

We are only going to Ireland because we can take her up into the ferry lounge with us so she won't be in the hold with the cars, noisy trucks, clunking from the ship etc, which is what terrifies her. If we weren't able to do this we would NOT be going to Ireland ....! 8-)

I'm also curious as to the "bad experience " that your dog suffered, perhaps just the simple fact that dogs given a voice would say what the hell are you doing to me, dragging me round for hours and weeks cooped up in this tiny space.

What terrified her was being on a ferry to France at night and right at the front of the deck which had an open section so she must have heard everything from both inside and outside the ferry, believe me it is no simple matter to her - she's not happy going on motorways or up flyovers, or across bridges where the structure is above her as it reminds her of the bl**dy ferry - I wish we'd never gone on it as she was fine before then!

The dogs love going with us, and there's certainly no way they'd rather be left at home or with anyone else! They get frequent stops for play and running around, go out to meet people, other dogs and see new things. One of their favourite things to do in the van is to lay on the bed looking out through the open rear doors ... I'm convinced they think we've just bought them a really big dog bed on wheels!

868905761_Nicedogbed.jpg.bc281e0697f09b2f6ea78735d8e84a5d.jpg

Our experience on the Ferry was horrendous.

Trying to get the wheelchair out of the van then squeezing between vehicles into a grubby lift was more than enough to convince us the Tunnel is the only way to go.

Comfort & minimal stress before cost - we're on holiday to enjoy it NOT endure it.

Your two on the left are the double of my two they were a patter dale and a Yorkshire terrier x jack Russell I had them for eighteen years and still miss them so much even now the one on the right looks like a staffy your very lucky . Pp

Pampam - 2013-07-03 11:05 PM

Your two on the left are the double of my two they were a patter dale and a Yorkshire terrier x jack Russell I had them for eighteen years and still miss them so much even now the one on the right looks like a staffy your very lucky . Pp

Well spotted Pam, Lily is a Patterdale and she's the one who hates ferries - she's a lovely little thing; Tazzy is the other little one who's a Jack Russell/Chihuahua cross currently going through the 'toddler tantrum' phase ... now nicknamed 'Donkey' as once she decides she's had enough walking, or doesn't want to go somewhere, she just digs her heals in, and she was also Christened 'click clack' by a German lady who was laughing at the way she swings her front legs out when she walks, like a little soldier marching. Romy is indeed part Staffie, crossed with a Greyhound, so runs like the wind and by heck do you know about it if you get in her way when the great lump clobbers you, she's a great big fussy beast who just doesn't know how much of a heffalump she is and thinks she's the same size as the others!!!

1footinthegrave - 2013-07-03 9:30 PM

I'm still trying to find out what you folks do with that precious half hour apparently saved by using the tunnel. Perhaps you all stop and have coffee and breakfast that I've already had on the Ferry. :D

Just back this evening from a few days researching on the Somme.

Left Albert 30miles SW of Arras at 5.pm, Drove via the coast route on Non toll roads to Eurotunnel changing my booking via my i phone from Friday AM to 8.20PM today. No Charge

Arrived at Eurotunnel at 7PM and drove straight on the shuttle which left at 7,20PM

Had a sleep in my own space on the way over 33 mins.

Home in West Kent parked up and drained down with a beer at 8.pm Local time

Cost £95 return.

Thats why I like the tunnel.

But for those who are more focused on cash and not service I suggest they try the ferries.

Re Dog lovers. If you have not got one you will never know what you are missing.

1729736172_Somme1.jpg.222efd33d8b7700b13b034de72961761.jpg

PIP1.jpg.b12ea647728248091dcdc1525f67a596.jpg

Guest JudgeMental

You really are a pillock. And leave Mel alone ..I guess being truly obnoxious comes natural to some. FYI we have turned up for tunnel many times and got straight on an earlier crossing...so this 30 minutes difference of yours nonsense!lol there is hardly any waiting, or queuing, compared to the bucket and you are quickly on your way......another plus is it avoids rubbing shoulders with the likes of you for a start...

Guest 1footinthegrave

What's with the lovely bedside manner, on many occasions we have been able to get an earlier Ferry, as for Melb, if she wants to use her mhome as a giant dog bed I guess that's her prerogative, next time my missus insists on a change to clean bed linen at least I have some ammo that perhaps it's not really necessary. :D

JudgeMental - 2013-07-04 7:17 AM

You really are a pillock. And leave Mel alone ..I guess being truly obnoxious comes natural to some. FYI we have turned up for tunnel many times and got straight on an earlier crossing...so this 30 minutes difference of yours nonsense!lol there is hardly any waiting, or queuing, compared to the bucket and you are quickly on your way......another plus is it avoids rubbing shoulders with the likes of you for a start...

When we came back on 24 June via the tunnel it was the day after Le Mans, which we hadn't realised when booking, and there were a lot of people returning to the UK so we had to wait for our booked train. The terminal was heaving and they had music playing loudly on the speakers outside. The kind of music which drives me out of B&Q after 10 minutes but no chance of escape. Avoid, and Sunday night too because it can get busy then too.

Guest 1footinthegrave
1footinthegrave - 2013-07-04 9:07 AM

What's with the lovely bedside manner, on many occasions we have been able to get an earlier Ferry, as for Melb, if she wants to use her mhome as a giant dog bed I guess that's her prerogative, next time my missus insists on a change to clean bed linen at least I have some ammo that perhaps it's not really necessary. :D. A can of air freshener will do the job just as well.

Ferry for me it's all part of the "Holiday Feel" then off at Calais..never had the so called mad scramble out of the port..I'm a seasoned ex HGV Driver so I use the Drivers Lounge bit cheaper and you are away from the so called riff raff

Hi Pampam,

We usually use a mix of Tunnel-very convenient with no hassle or Hull /Rottedam Ferry depending on where we are headed- good deals with Alan Rogers.

However , we have just taken a booking for next Tuesday Dover to Calais return for £90 instead of searching for where to go in this country following an offer e-mailed by DFDS for motorhomes etc.

We feel the Ferry is more messy but the price is attractive.

The Tunnel overall is my favourite as no sooner on, open the coffee flask and we are there--cons for me is the drive down to Ashford. Much easier to drive to Hull but more expensive. The old saying-you pays your money ........

If you intend to start using the Tunnel, get on the Tesco bandwagon

best of luck with your choice

derek

goldi - 2013-07-04 1:14 PM

Afternoon all,

So how much do you have to spend at Tesco to get afree trip ?

norm

Hi Norm,

We do most of our household shopping and fuel at Tesco and get enough coupons for 2 to 3 Tunnel crossings per year. We do however use a Tesco Bank Credit card in other shops and this also qualifies for points towards vouchers. Evry point you get does not have to come from Tesco shops.

As to exactly how much--normal shopping for a couple of 60 odd yr olds.

cheers

derek

I get about 2-3 Eurotunnel trips per year from Tesco vouchers. I buy everything (Petrol/Diesel/Food etc) over here on Tesco Credit card & get the points that way. I don't shop in Tesco at all - can't stand them!

I food shop in Sainsburys & use the Tesco credit card & then get nectar points from Sainsbury Win - Win :-D

Guest 1footinthegrave
I really have no axe to.grind, our nearest Tesco is 40 miles away, but given that a survey carried out by Which magazine this year put them way below others including Lidl for quality, customer satisfaction, and high prices why would I. There is no such thing as a free lunch, of course you are all paying for your vouchers, if you don't understand that, with respect you are being duped, end of.

laimeduck - 2013-07-04 1:38 PM

I get about 2-3 Eurotunnel trips per year from Tesco vouchers. I buy everything (Petrol/Diesel/Food etc) over here on Tesco Credit card & get the points that way. I don't shop in Tesco at all - can't stand them!

I food shop in Sainsburys & use the Tesco credit card & then get nectar points from Sainsbury Win - Win :-D

Its not that straightforward I feel. But the Tesco discount is good.

I use a Cash Back credit card getting a range back from 1/2 to 3% on all purchases.

This gives a return on purchases and linked to a Eurotunnel Shareholder discount and or Frequent Traveller discount works for me.

That aside I find the longer Dunkirk ferries far more bearable to the Dover P and O offering.

Archived