Tunnel or ferry?

Pampam

Mel B - 2013-07-05 8:43 PMIt is annoying to pay so much on top of the crossing cost but it is still a heck of a lot less than leaving them in the UK in kennels (which I wouldn't ever do anyway!).

Well said Mel, it is a shame that people who have never owned a dog have absolutely no idea of how much they enrich our lives. We likewise would never put our dogs in kennels. We did it once when we were much younger and never again. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JudgeMental
1footinthegrave - 2013-07-05 3:58 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-07-05 11:31 AM

1footinthegrave - 2013-07-05 6:59 AM

What a palaver, but I guess it you have dogs you need to be with the effort may be worth it, for those that don't we have more than once considered the tunnel, but even buying flexi tickets for the ferries there prices especially if you book well ahead have always been considerably cheaper.

oscar wilde: A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing

about sums you up perfectly, wittering on ad nauseum to justify your choice .....get on with it who cares!lol

Had you figured wrong Eddie, thought you'd be the last person to be faffing around with green shield stamps, as for wittering on ad nauseum to justify my choice, well what a laugh, you NEVER miss an opportunity to tell everyone what mugs they are for buying any van unless it meets with the judgemental seal of approval, and how we should all go rushing off God knows where to buy a van, just as long as it's not British, as you say, who cares what you think pal, get over it your just as much a pain in the arse as me.

:D

"God knows where" you say... from 2 or 4 hours drive from Calais, takes a day to save £10,000 + *-)

It seems to have escaped your notice, and the other pathetic little englanders on here..that we are in a european market! Free to buy and travel wherever we choose. until such a time when ignorant cretins like you manage to pull the drawbridge up

I dont shop at tesco...so only use tunnel if I can get at right price, happy to pay double cost of ferry but no more...

Why I offered you hospitality in the past when you imagined there was no where to overnight on route to Dover...beats me I must need my head examined!lol What a nasty little man you are picking on women with dogs and constantly complaining about nothing....

Hi,

I really can not see how anybody can prefer the ferry to the Tunnel. For convenience the tunnel is by far superior. We invariably get the earlier train- no waiting - and by the time we have had a flask of coffee we are there. No getting to and from the car deck, especially if like me you are not so mobile. I could maybe appreciate some people feeling hemmed in if the journey was as long as some ferries, but in reality 35mins or so is a doddle.

cheers

derek

Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2013-07-06 8:34 AM

What a palaver, but I guess it you have dogs you need to be with the effort may be worth it, for those that don't we have more than once considered the tunnel, but even buying flexi tickets for the ferries there prices especially if you book well ahead have always been considerably cheaper.

about sums you up perfectly, wittering on ad nauseum to justify your choice .....get on with it who cares!lol

Had you figured wrong Eddie, thought you'd be the last person to be faffing around with green shield stamps, as for wittering on ad nauseum to justify my choice, well what a laugh, you NEVER miss an opportunity to tell everyone what mugs they are for buying any van unless it meets with the judgemental seal of approval, and how we should all go rushing off God knows where to buy a van, just as long as it's not British, as you say, who cares what you think pal, get over it your just as much a pain in the arse as me.

"God knows where" you say... from 2 or 4 hours drive from Calais, takes a day to save £10,000 + *-)

It seems to have escaped your notice, and the other pathetic little englanders on here..that we are in a european market! Free to buy and travel wherever we choose. until such a time when ignorant cretins like you manage to pull the drawbridge up

I dont shop at tesco...so only use tunnel if I can get at right price, happy to pay double cost of ferry but no more...

Why I offered you hospitality in the past when you imagined there was no where to overnight on route to Dover...beats me I must need my head examined!lol What a nasty little man you are picking on women with dogs and constantly complaining about nothing....

Still with the insults Eddie, offering me somewhere to overnight, apologies I really thought that was your idea of a joke, as for being a nasty little man picking on women, I'm guessing I know exactly who wears the trousers in that house, and "hubby" it ain't, so perhaps she can fight her own corner without your help.

As for the "just two to four hours from Dover, not all of us live in South London, and as odd as it may seem, not everyone would want to face the hassle of trying to get potential issues resolved, God knows that's something difficult enough when the outfit is on your doorstep, oh sorry all European dealers are beyond reproach, yes, right.

I'll readily admit one thing, dragging three dogs around in a panel van the size of yours and mine seems to be completely nuts, and all that malarky with Tesco vouchers and it still costing her double just for the dogs compared to our last ferry deal seems equally barking, but whatever does it for you I guess

derek pringle - 2013-07-06 9:13 AM

Hi,

I really can not see how anybody can prefer the ferry to the Tunnel. For convenience the tunnel is by far superior. We invariably get the earlier train- no waiting - and by the time we have had a flask of coffee we are there. No getting to and from the car deck, especially if like me you are not so mobile. I could maybe appreciate some people feeling hemmed in if the journey was as long as some ferries, but in reality 35mins or so is a doddle.

cheers

derek

We find the ferry much more relaxing of about 5 times we have used the tunnel we were delayed on 3 of them & it would have been quicker by ferry. Twice I have had bad ear ache after using the tunnel due to the pressure differential.

Last year I was doing some contract work in Brussels went in a VW Transporter came off the train to find windows would not close, indicators not working & central locking not working. After stopping to get supplies for half an hour everything worked again. We believe the pressure wave entering the tunnel tripped a sensor or trip on the vehicle (none of the VW dealers we phoned had any ideas).

Ferry every time for me :D

Guest JudgeMental
1footinthegrave - 2013-07-06 9:51 AM

JudgeMental - 2013-07-06 8:34 AM

Still with the insults Eddie, offering me somewhere to overnight, apologies I really thought that was your idea of a joke, as for being a nasty little man picking on women, I'm guessing I know exactly who wears the trousers in that house, and "hubby" it ain't, so perhaps she can fight her own corner without your help.

As for the "just two to four hours from Dover, not all of us live in South London, and as odd as it may seem, not everyone would want to face the hassle of trying to get potential issues resolved, God knows that's something difficult enough when the outfit is on your doorstep, oh sorry all European dealers are beyond reproach, yes, right.

I'll readily admit one thing, dragging three dogs around in a panel van the size of yours and mine seems to be completely nuts, and all that malarky with Tesco vouchers and it still costing her double just for the dogs compared to our last ferry deal seems equally barking, but whatever does it for you I guess

I said 2-4 hours from calais dumbo...knowing full well to say otherwise would kick of another irresistible bout of winging..but seems you can't resist and obviously see what you want to see. You're the one who moved to the back of beyond!lol

I repeated the overnight offer on more than one occasion, that you interpreted it as a "joke" says more about you than me. Yes Mel can deal with the likes of you no problem, but still see your continual whining and personal comment as inappropriate.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Blimey, a bit nit picking, Dover or Calais there's only about 20 miles in it, if you go by tunnel you're there in no time, probably about as long as it takes you to drive to the local shops, and that's only a quarter of a mile, no wonder you seem in a perpetual bad mood having the hassle of living where you do. When I said I thought you were joking, it wasn't about your offer, it was the idea that anyone would want to stay anywhere within a million miles of you pal.

For info, both hubby and me wear the trousers in our household ... we take turns ... but he's got better legs than me and has been known to wear a skirt in the past too. :D

I'll readily admit one thing, dragging three dogs around in a panel van the size of yours and mine seems to be completely nuts ...

Who said we drag them ... we wouldn't be able to get out of the front door if we didn't take them ... they LOVE IT, believe me if you'd ever had dogs you'd know only too well when they DIDN'T want to do something ... they can really sulk if they want to! What you are missing is the point that they are part of our family, hairy ones with 4 legs, but 'family' none the less. We wouldn't want to go on holiday without them and they wouldn't want to be left at home without us.

... and all that malarky with Tesco vouchers and it still costing her double just for the dogs compared to our last ferry deal seems equally barking, but whatever does it for you I guess

I don't have much choice about paying for the dogs whether we go by ferry or tunnel, and it's not a malarky (not that it was particularly before), it's quite easy and quicker now ... well for SOME of us it is, perhaps it would be toooooo much for you to have to comprehend and get to grips with ... if it seems like a malarky to you perhaps you'd better not try it ... with you apparently having just one little brain cell we don't want it to get tired do we ... it must already be feeling lonely ... perhaps you ought to get it a dog to keep it company .... (lol) :D

It seems odd that the tunnel charge for dogs, (unless they have extra paper work to fill in?) Surley the vehicle is the cost, as you stay in your van/car while crossing, so should not matter if you have 1, 2, or more people and whether you have dogs/cats as well.

It appeared that this year more people were travelling with dogs, and saw 1 cat.(and 1 FERRET on a lead!!) The Dutch/Germans and a Swedish lady, we encountered ,( I suppose they don't have the passport problem? or do thay?) as well as the Brits

PJay

Guest 1footinthegrave
Mel B - 2013-07-06 10:24 PM

For info, both hubby and me wear the trousers in our household ... we take turns ... but he's got better legs than me and has been known to wear a skirt in the past too. :D

I'll readily admit one thing, dragging three dogs around in a panel van the size of yours and mine seems to be completely nuts ...

Who said we drag them ... we wouldn't be able to get out of the front door if we didn't take them ... they LOVE IT, believe me if you'd ever had dogs you'd know only too well when they DIDN'T want to do something ... they can really sulk if they want to! What you are missing is the point that they are part of our family, hairy ones with 4 legs, but 'family' none the less. We wouldn't want to go on holiday without them and they wouldn't want to be left at home without us.

... and all that malarky with Tesco vouchers and it still costing her double just for the dogs compared to our last ferry deal seems equally barking, but whatever does it for you I guess

I don't have much choice about paying for the dogs whether we go by ferry or tunnel, and it's not a malarky (not that it was particularly before), it's quite easy and quicker now ... well for SOME of us it is, perhaps it would be toooooo much for you to have to comprehend and get to grips with ... if it seems like a malarky to you perhaps you'd better not try it ... with you apparently having just one little brain cell we don't want it to get tired do we ... it must already be feeling lonely ... perhaps you ought to get it a dog to keep it company .... (lol) :D

If there is anyone with one brain cell I'd suggest it just could be someone who in a previous thread readily admitted their three dogs snuggle down under the same bedding as them, who has to go out armed with sufficient poo bags for three, ( can that really be such a delight ) , wandering around outside in all weathers waiting for all three to do their doo doos, be denied access to many places, no thanks, I'll stick with my one brain cell, at least it works . ;-)

lennyhb - 2013-07-06 10:26 AM

derek pringle - 2013-07-06 9:13 AM

Hi,

cheers

derek

We find the ferry much more relaxing of about 5 times we have used the tunnel we were delayed on 3 of them & it would have been quicker by ferry. Twice I have had bad ear ache after using the tunnel due to the pressure differential.

Last year I was doing some contract work in Brussels went in a VW Transporter came off the train to find windows would not close, indicators not working & central locking not working. After stopping to get supplies for half an hour everything worked again. We believe the pressure wave entering the tunnel tripped a sensor or trip on the vehicle (none of the VW dealers we phoned had any ideas).

Ferry every time for me :D

Lenny,

I am sorry you have not seen the best of the tunnel and obviously your own experience is what you will make judgements on, so I hope you carry on having great trips be it however you want to travel.

cheers

derek

Guest JudgeMental

Tunnel an engineering wonder. fast, efficient and convenient. Lets hope the European commission investigating charges ( have already said track charges more then 50% to high) get the track owners to bring he costs down..this supposedly pending

Ferries crash and ferries sink, the channel very busy. only last month a DFDS bucket crashed at Harwich. they are dead slow and can be packed and uncomfortable in summer months,( I can be 2 hours down the road using the tunnel) buckets have one thing only on their side..you can find cheap crossings @ approx £50 if I can get a tunnel crossing for £100 I book it, needs to be well in advance, normally before Christmas. We used to use the frequent traveller scheme but don't now need 5 returns as we also go on long haul holidays...

You pays your monies and makes your choice....simples :-D

JudgeMental - 2013-07-07 9:36 AM

Tunnel an engineering wonder. fast, efficient and convenient. Lets hope the European commission investigating charges ( have already said track charges more then 50% to high) get the track owners to bring he costs down..this supposedly pending

Not going to happen its the track owners (Eurotunnel) that run the shuttles it's Eurostar that are being charged too much.

Guest JudgeMental

"London and Paris have been given two months to comply with the request. Should they fail to do so the Governments will be brought before the European Court of Justice."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/10130515/EU-moves-to-cut-high-Eurotunnel-charges.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/eurotunnel-must-reduce-excessive-channel-tunnel-charges-within-two-months-says-european-commission-8667140.html

1footinthegrave - 2013-07-07 7:02 AM

If there is anyone with one brain cell I'd suggest it just could be someone who in a previous thread readily admitted their three dogs snuggle down under the same bedding as them,

We have 2 duvets on the bed and a top cover, they go under the top cover or the top duvet ... they do make good hot water bottles though as the heat from them comes through the duvet and keeps my feet warm! :-D

... who has to go out armed with sufficient poo bags for three, ( can that really be such a delight ) , wandering around outside in all weathers waiting for all three to do their doo doos, be denied access to many places,

They are well trained and go on command, so no having to wait for ages for them to do their stuff, clearing up after them (which everyone SHOULD do) is one downside I'll admit, but is far outweighed by all the positives of having dogs. Only found one place that we couldn't take the dogs on our latest 7 week jaunt so that doesn't constitute 'many'. *-)

... no thanks, I'll stick with my one brain cell, at least it works .

That is a matter of opinion, even though it appears to have some sort of 'life' that doesn't necessarily mean it actually 'works' PROPERLY as such .... I suppose it depends on what you expect from it in the first place ... in your case, not much apparently. 8-) (lol)

JudgeMental - 2013-07-07 9:36 AM

Ferries crash and ferries sink, the channel very busy. only last month a DFDS bucket crashed at Harwich. they are dead slow and can be packed and uncomfortable in summer months,( I can be 2 hours down the road using the tunnel) buckets have one thing only on their side..you can find cheap crossings @ approx £50 if I can get a tunnel crossing for £100 I book it, needs to be well in advance, normally before Christmas. We used to use the frequent traveller scheme but don't now need 5 returns as we also go on long haul holidays...

You pays your monies and makes your choice....simples :-D

Hi Eddie,

there seems to be offers at the moment, we booked last Tuesday -DFDS Dover to Calais- going tomorrow for £90 return, like you any dearer and we would have used Tunnel

cheers

derek

Guest JudgeMental
Have a good one Derek! when i tried to book tunnel after christmas they wanted £170. usually get it for 100-120 beforehand. but you just cant argue with a DFDS £50 flexible return, (NEC show offer) going out on a saturday morning during school holidays 8-)

Archived