Living with a Euro 5

Wallynnette

We have a 2012 Bailey Approach on a Peugeot Boxer 2.2, we've only covered 2000 in a year and in that time we've had the engine managment light come on five times. Each time the AA (peugeot assist) come out and delete the code for the dreaded DPF, they say drive for half hour or so in a lower gear (4th) and keep the revs up to about 3000. The last time it came on was on our return home from a trip, I,ve now bought a code reader and have deleted the same code myself so I can atleast get on my way. Contacted Peugeot and they say the same as the AA guys, so my style of driving now is to boot it in 4th gear each time we're out in it

to clear it out as peugeot said driving 50,60,or 70 in 6th will not get the DPF hot enough. At the moment my code reader is my best friend. Does anyone else have these rediculus DPF probs :-(

I too have a Euro 5 engine (2.3 Fiat 150) can't say i have had any problems like yours, could it be the 2.2 Peugeot ?? I am not a 'hard boot' driver, and am from 'the old school', who is very gentle with the engine during it's first 2000 miles or so, 'Running it in' although many say they don't need it nowdays. High revs are preferable to letting an engine 'labour' in a high gear. nothing new there.

For me the new engine is a delight, no problem with reverse gear either, it spins the wheels rather than 'judder'. My previous Van had a euro 4 Peugeot 2.2, had no problems with that either. Ray

Oh, the joys of buying a brand new motorhome rather than a solid older model...........

If your thought it was bad thus far, just wait till your EGR valve fails, and then your catalytic converter gets stolen. Then stolen again...................... 8-)

Hi,

I had the light come on several times about 2000 miles after purchase on a 3 litre Euro V and was given similar advice even though it covered most of this on motorways. It was eventually diagnosed as a faulty sensor and fixed under warranty.

Alan

Peugeot said I could book it in if it keeps happening and have it 'forced regenerated', I have a mechanic friend who has done loads of these and takes about an hour, so we'll see how it goes, maybe when/if they do this regeneration they too could find a faulty sensor.

To be honest, 2,000 miles in a year means an awful lot of standing around. I'm inclined to think this is more likely to be another manifestation of sleepy van syndrome. These things are built to do tens of thousands of miles per year, and they do not fare that well on inactivity.

My experience of diesels is that they don't really "come on song" until they've covered about 10,000 miles, and are still improving up to about 20,000, when they are just about nicely "run in". 2,000 miles isn't even one decent trip.

I can't comment on whether the DPF, or any other component, is at fault, but I think you really need to find the time to put far more miles under it tyres than you managed in its first year before blaming the technology. At least 5/6,000 would still be low mileage relative to the mechanical components, and is about what the motorhome trade considers "average".

Brian Kirby - 2013-07-03 12:04 AM

To be honest, 2,000 miles in a year means an awful lot of standing around. I'm inclined to think this is more likely to be another manifestation of sleepy van syndrome. These things are built to do tens of thousands of miles per year, and they do not fare that well on inactivity.

My experience of diesels is that they don't really "come on song" until they've covered about 10,000 miles, and are still improving up to about 20,000, when they are just about nicely "run in". 2,000 miles isn't even one decent trip.

I can't comment on whether the DPF, or any other component, is at fault, but I think you really need to find the time to put far more miles under it tyres than you managed in its first year before blaming the technology. At least 5/6,000 would still be low mileage relative to the mechanical components, and is about what the motorhome trade considers "average".

Also, most motorhomes seem to be driven relatively slowly. My father used his car to drive to work a couple of miles in a 30 limit each day. On the few occasions I borrowed it I noticed how the performance improved after a few miles with me driving :-D

that's the balance Diesel engines need use my transit 11 plate 50000 +mls at least half wild camping rest of time transporting vinyl records ( my hobby collecting) heavy loads you can feel the power sensible use of gears etc i am doing research hoping to purchase PVC nx year but there seems to be a lot of horry stories out there ! Why is this I am leaning towards peugeot boxer? as I have a saloon peugeot 1980 that touch wood served me ok please someone out there give me some good news about euro 5 !!!! so I can buy without sleepless nites?

Mine's a 2.2 Pug EuroV. I've only covered about 1500 miles, so far without any problems.

However, as I generally drive fairly gently but not slowly when on holiday, I'm expecting the DPF to show it's alarm at some stage.

So, ever the boy scout, a question for wallynnette, - what is the code reader that you've bought? Seems a handy thing to have when miles from civilisation. I realise the DPF needs to be "warmed up", but it would be very useful to know that this this is the cause of an alarm.

Guest pelmetman

Use it or lose it...............is a well known small business anachronism ;-) .....................seems pretty accurate for campervans as well :D

The only time we've had expensive problems with Horace is when he's been left unmoved for months.............even though he was in covered storage :-S........

Potential campervan owners should be advised that unless you have the time to use a campervan regularly................. then they're best advised to stick to two weeks in Benidorm ;-).......

Unless you have more money than sense :D................then there's plenty of salesmen waiting for you >:-)

Hi, mine is a Launch Creader V1, the latest one and it was about £60 ish from Amazon. I checked with my mechanic mate before buying because i was a little worried if i could damage the engine. If its a serious fault it will come back straight away. They don't tell you what the fault is, only which part of the system is faulty (genuine or not). The AA guy said it was good piece of mind as if I was on holiday and it went off atleast I can check if its the same code then erase it an be on our way. Which is exactly what the AA guys do. Garages can cost you anywhere between £25 - £75 for exactly the same service. I'm old school but what else can you do, it just gives you a bit more of a link between you and the modern engine and for £60 odd its well worth the piece of mind.Don't buy really cheap n nasty one though.

It's a right pain this euro 5 malarkey. We've just ordered a new Honda CRv auto. Because of the low milage and number of short journeys petrol is the only option for us but its no where near as good to drive as the diesel model. We also fancied a Freelander (we always try to buy British built cars) but they don't even have a petrol engine option.

Lets hope the manufacturers manage to beat the problem or perhaps develop a range of turbo petrol engines.

Colin Leake - 2013-07-03 10:41 PM

It's a right pain this euro 5 malarkey. We've just ordered a new Honda CRv auto. Because of the low milage and number of short journeys petrol is the only option for us but its no where near as good to drive as the diesel model. We also fancied a Freelander (we always try to buy British built cars) but they don't even have a petrol engine option.

Lets hope the manufacturers manage to beat the problem or perhaps develop a range of turbo petrol engines.

Brought a new suzi couple of months back and went for the petrol engine for just this reason, Ford have a new range of turbo petrol engines that they are introducing, don't know if it's still on, but they where going to put a 1.0litre ecoboost in the new Mondeo

Going ever so slightly off topic, after working my way up from tents, trailer tents, folding campers,folding caravans, caravans, campervans and more recently motorhomes which the latest, is in readiness for my retirement. The trend seems to be focussing on families and quite a lot of younger couples buying motorhomes now, so its not just a privilage for the retired who can do these 'long trips' at anytime they wish. So how do these younger motorhomers get to do these 'long trips' out with kids and school terms etc etc, so therefore their motorhomes must be standing idle more than most. This last year I had planned lots of long trips but work messed it up which is why I've only done 2000 miles, these new engines are a result of Progress, whether we like it or not its going on all the time, its nice to stand still but take too long and it can pass you by. *-)

Launch creader v1 its £46.95 , the other ones i.e V are older models, this one is sold by nj diagnostics, look to the right and there are other options for other sellers. I was advised by someone in the trade to get the Launch as some other cheapos are rubbish.

Wallynnette - 2013-07-04 9:21 PM

Going ever so slightly off topic, after working my way up from tents, trailer tents, folding campers,folding caravans, caravans, campervans and more recently motorhomes which the latest, is in readiness for my retirement. The trend seems to be focussing on families and quite a lot of younger couples buying motorhomes now, so its not just a privilage for the retired who can do these 'long trips' at anytime they wish. So how do these younger motorhomers get to do these 'long trips' out with kids and school terms etc etc, so therefore their motorhomes must be standing idle more than most. This last year I had planned lots of long trips but work messed it up which is why I've only done 2000 miles, these new engines are a result of Progress, whether we like it or not its going on all the time, its nice to stand still but take too long and it can pass you by. *-)

Your right.....you're losing it whether you use it or not.

Look at it this way: Your motorhome depreciated by (maybe?) £10,000 in the past year, whilst you used it for 2,000 miles.

So on top of the actual fuel cost, the depreciation cost was maybe an additional £5 for EACH SINGLE MILE travelled.

Ouch! 8-)

No-one buys a motorhome to make money, use it as much as you can,is my motto. Just sitting on your driveway looking 'pretty' is a criminal waste of 'hard earned cash'.

On yet another Tack, what oil should i use for 'Top ups' ? Engine still under warranty, oil change not due til October, Handbook recommends 'Selenia WR 5w/30 acea C2' where on earth do you buy it ? tried HalFrauds, no luck, they tried to sell me some Mobil 1 at £56 for 4 litres !!! looked online not much better. Nearest Fiat Agent is many miles away. Noticed that 'Comma' do a similar spec Oil, acea C2 for considerably cheaper. Would it invalidate the warranty ? (looked up the 'acea C2' bit, and the Comma qualifies for euro 5, evidently it's all about protecting the DPF and the cat etc.,). price is almost half of the 'Selenia' (never heard of them,anyway). Ray

Rayjsj - 2013-07-08 2:47 PM

No-one buys a motorhome to make money, use it as much as you can,is my motto. Just sitting on your driveway looking 'pretty' is a criminal waste of 'hard earned cash'.

On yet another Tack, what oil should i use for 'Top ups' ? Engine still under warranty, oil change not due til October, Handbook recommends 'Selenia WR 5w/30 acea C2' where on earth do you buy it ? tried HalFrauds, no luck, they tried to sell me some Mobil 1 at £56 for 4 litres !!! looked online not much better. Nearest Fiat Agent is many miles away. Noticed that 'Comma' do a similar spec Oil, acea C2 for considerably cheaper. Would it invalidate the warranty ? (looked up the 'acea C2' bit, and the Comma qualifies for euro 5, evidently it's all about protecting the DPF and the cat etc.,). price is almost half of the 'Selenia' (never heard of them,anyway). Ray

If recollections serves, Selenia is a Fiat Group Company....that's why Fiat recommends their oils!

You can use any other brand of oil with the same specification; you don't have to use "Fiat" oil.

Warranty is not invalidated if you have used technically equivalent parts/consumables/lubrication (and Fiat wouldn't know anyway).

Archived