Living with a Euro 5

Wallynnette

BGD - 2013-07-05 12:19 PM

Look at it this way: Your motorhome depreciated by (maybe?) £10,000 in the past year, whilst you used it for 2,000 miles.

So on top of the actual fuel cost, the depreciation cost was maybe an additional £5 for EACH SINGLE MILE travelled.

Ouch! 8-)

Not the way I would look at it. Our motorhome is very low mileage. The distance traveled is irrelevant as the journey has no interest for me. We often have a weekend away, going to places like the Forest of Bowland (yes, I know it is Lancashire). Only 50 miles journey and we can spend the weekend enjoying the scenery, walking and cycling.

As a working person we will undoubted get less use out the vehicle than you non working chaps, but I still think it is value for money because it brings enjoyment.

As holidays are infrequent the van must have reliability. Fact - newer vehicles are more reliable. No doubt some bright spark will come along and tell me how reliable their 20 year old vehicle is.

You have to balance your finances against your expected life style. More happy motorhome trips for me please.

Look at it this way: Your motorhome depreciated by (maybe?) £10,000 in the past year, whilst you used it for 2,000 miles.

Don't know where you get your figures from Bruce our van has deprecated far less than that over 5 years lost about £1500 a year far less than the car that's on the drive.

lennyhb - 2013-07-08 6:16 PM

Don't know where you get your figures from Bruce our van has deprecated far less than that over 5 years lost about £1500 a year far less than the car that's on the drive.

My thoughts as well, I find it odd just how little vans appear to depreciate, I wonder if it's something to do with the ever increasing costs of new vans keeps the price up on older vans?

I'm pleased there are people out there think as we do, this is our first ever new vehicle, paid for, job done. Now all we want is to enjoy it while still healthy and money coming in, we bought it knowing there will be depreciation etc, but we're keeping this until a downsize is iminent (a good 10 years) and we certainly won't be worrying about any loss of investment. Lifes far too short, we will use it as often as we can and enjoy it. Pug is going in to Peugeot next Tues for a forced regeneration under warranty. :->

• 2 weeks later...
Just had the Pug into Peugeot today for the 'forced regeneration', had a word with the technician who did the job and he said it was only 4% sooty. He'd known some only have a prob after 80-90 K miles, he also downloaded some new firmware and installed it, it appears that it was set up too sensitively and this 'new firmware' will enable it to regenerate at a lower temp. He also mentioned that Peugeot were leaving the Sevel group and branching out with Toyota next year, anyone else heard rumours to this effect ?

colin - 2013-07-08 6:51 PM

lennyhb - 2013-07-08 6:16 PM

My thoughts as well, I find it odd just how little vans appear to depreciate, I wonder if it's something to do with the ever increasing costs of new vans keeps the price up on older vans?

Too true our van may have only depreciated by 7½k in five years but it will cost another 20-25k on top of it's current value to replace it with a van of similar quality.

We recently sold our 6 years old 'large M/H' because ... it was not being used enough, it was too big for shopping and cluttered up the driveway getting in everyone's way. It was decided that a smaller type that could be used every day was far more convenient.

MT

Wallynnette - 2013-07-16 7:46 PM

Just had the Pug into Peugeot today for the 'forced regeneration', had a word with the technician who did the job and he said it was only 4% sooty. He'd known some only have a prob after 80-90 K miles, he also downloaded some new firmware and installed it, it appears that it was set up too sensitively and this 'new firmware' will enable it to regenerate at a lower temp. He also mentioned that Peugeot were leaving the Sevel group and branching out with Toyota next year, anyone else heard rumours to this effect ?

Wallynnette, take a look at:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/psa-peugeot-citro%C3%ABn-and-toyota-expand-tie-include-vans

Guest pelmetman
Mrs T - 2013-07-16 9:01 PM

We recently sold our 6 years old 'large M/H' because ... it was not being used enough, it was too big for shopping and cluttered up the driveway getting in everyone's way. It was decided that a smaller type that could be used every day was far more convenient.

MT

Have you thought of going down the classic route? ;-) ..............If I were to replace my Rover Sterling I'd definitely go the old an older Jagwar route.................having had a 3.8s in the past and now knowing I can source their bits & pieces online...................I'll say this in strictest confidence ;-)................If Horace ever gave up the ghost 8-)........................then I'd buy an old Jag and a?????.....................wots one of those old caravans called?..........Oh yeah a Carlight :-D ....................an oxymoron if ever there was one B-)...................as they weigh a ton (lol) (lol)

Peugeot joining up with Toyota, That sounds promising, I always thought that if ever Toyota produced a truck that got converted into a motorhome, i'd buy one in a flash. My experience over the last 20 years with Toyota's (Carina, Rav4, Yaris) have all been totally reliable over thousands of miles, all with NO faults.

Even my few German cars (Volkswagen & BMW) couldn't beat that. Ray

mine were company cars that got changed every 3 years.

pps, on reading the article, it seems only the badge will be Toyota, shame.

"Mr Google" tells me that Fiat have pulled out of SEVEL (rather than Peugeot/Citroen). There is as a separate but related fact a newish expanded relationship between Peugeot (PSA) and Toyota for the production of light commercials aka vans. Initially this appears to include the supply of "Jumpy" vans i.e the size below the "Jumper" as the Citroen Relay/Peugeot Boxer/Ducato is badged in Europe.

I have no idea of the exact timing for these events but perhaps a new PSA/Toyota supervan will emerge in time.

Archived