National Trust motorhome parking

Hawcara

In support of motorhome parking (co-incidentally on another thread), I wrote to the National Trust with the following suggestion.

That the NT allows motorhomes to stay overnight on their carparks, as in most cases they have outside toilets, a dump station would be easy to construct and the use of a tap, for bottled water. That if they allowed NT members to park, charged a nominal fee say £5 per night, to be redeemed against a meal of say £20-£25. I did get a response, but that was a far as it has gone,

I have noticed a lot of advertising on buses for the NT and can only assume that attendance and membership has declined. They also allow dogs on the grounds in a lot of cases.

I recently went to Buckland Abbey in Devon and they had ample space on a weekend and last week to a place called Newark Park near Bristol, which could also cater for motorhomes, if the NT decided to go that way.

It would seem a simple way to increase membership and also revenue on land that gains nothing at the moment.

Others writing an email, may cause the NT to consider again? :-D

Doubt it.

Like almost every other effort made to promote tourism-by-motorhome in the UK any 'bottom-up' approach will most likely end up dead in the water.

Bears repeating, Visit Britain is publicly funded and has a statutory duty to promote / enhance tourism. They are given a good deal of public cash to do their work and have the skills, abilities, resources and contacts to change the political and cultural barriers that currently exist.

I don't care enough but anyone that does should be directing their efforts to get VB to do what they are funded to do. A true sea-change will only ever come to fruition by a 'top-down' effort.

The other major issue is that when push comes to shove, in spite of a load of mouthing off, hardly any UK based MH user cares. Most are happy to pootle from full-facility site to full-facility site, CL to CS, use Brit Stop type schemes, or simply overnight off formal sites altogether. The actual demand for further formal 'stopovers' is - I venture - extremely small.

Now, if VB got to work and started encouraging the zillions of mainland European camping car users over here there might be a very different landscape.

Visit Scotland and Visit Wales would be more receptive,Too many vested interests from landowners in England!

For the record,the only sites we use are CLs/CSs and hideaway sites,as well as wild camping.

Guest Peter James

National Trust belongs to we the public, although you wouldn't think so sometimes.

I have overnighted on National Trust land and never got a ticket, which is unfortunate as I am running short of toilet paper ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
The very next time I feel like wasting yet more of my life on futile purposes I'll write, given that we are currently in France where on this trip we have found as always even more provision for us. We were once members of the NT, but what with all the properties in virtual darkness, the prohibition of photography, and once me offering my services as an unpaid night watchman, in return to discreetly park up a corner being met with horror I've both given up on the NT, and the UK altogether, the most Motorhome unfriendly country imaginable.

Don't think the NT are anti moterhomes per se, as we have stayed on a NT campsite on the Lizard, also at one time they published a leaflet with all the campsites on NT land (mainly tenanted farms), but I think anything which is outside what they consider 'the norm' will be viewed with some trepidation.

1footinthegrave - 2013-07-03 4:24 PM

given that we are currently in France where on this trip we have found as always even more provision for us.

This year was our first trip to France for several years, saw a lot of car parks with overnight restrictions on camping-cars, something I've never noticed before.

I have also written to the trust on this subject, way back in 2003! If i recall correctly their reply was something along the lines of they prefer to leave it to the Caravan Club to set up sites on their land and we all know the CC views on Aire type sites.

peedee

Guest 1footinthegrave
colin - 2013-07-03 11:14 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-07-03 4:24 PM

given that we are currently in France where on this trip we have found as always even more provision for us.

This year was our first trip to France for several years, saw a lot of car parks with overnight restrictions on camping-cars, something I've never noticed before.

Conversely we have noticed more parking areas this trip that have previously just been general parking areas, now with dedicated camping car areas only, Mende comes to mind with all new signage, very large bays and a new service point, all in a prime spot along the river, and enforcement by the Police shifting cars, the same couple of local police drove around several times whilst we were there a couple of days, we joked they probably had motorhomes themselves.

We have also found several new Aires, one with free electricity, so don't worry France continues to be Motorhome nirvana, I firmly believe the French wouldn't allow it to be any other way.

There are dedicated NT campsites, one at Exmouth (very good) and one at Lansallos (Cornwall), but I am still amazed that the NT do not tap this income source, when they are advertising so extensively for members or visitors.

If travellers want to get in, then a chain over the gates won't stop them, not when you see them moving granite blocks, overhead barriers etc :-D

Guest 1footinthegrave
This is completely true, just a few days ago when parked on an aire in a tiny French village, we were intrigued to see a middle aged couple who arrived on a tandem, unpack a small tent and pitch it directly outside the cemetery wall, we came to the conclusion they were looking for a quiet spot with access to water, but I dread to think what their toiletry arrangements were though.

Guest Peter James

I went in a National Trust Car park yesterday and saw a sign urging me to put money in the meter and donate, as 'looking after the countryside' is 'very expensive' (however did the countryside exist beforewe had the National Trust to look after it I wondered *-) )

And how expensive, I wondered, so have just had a look at their accounts, which they are legally obliged to publish on the charity commission website www.charitycommission.gov.uk but they don't tell you more than they have to. Someone gets between £170,000pa and £180,000 pa, but their pension contribution and living accommodation is unspecified, and they are about as forthcoming over their expenses as members of Parliament *-)

Guest Peter James
Caroline - 2013-07-08 3:15 PM

Hi Hawcara

I rather like your idea, I have been debating about joining the NT and that would certainly entice me.

I've never been outside Europe, but joined the New Zealand National Trust for half the price (as they aren't so greedy) and used the New Zealand Membership Card to get into all National Trust Properties in UK (lol)

Archived