Western france for first time??

Pampam

If you was going to France for first time ,where would you go ? It's not till next June and we would like to have a bit of sun .not bothered about any entertainment etc :I fancied south of France but another thread made it sound rather expensive and busy .i am absolutely clueless as to where to go ,any ideas please? Entertained a guided tour of northern France , but then wondered if we would like the groupiness of it :thank you pp.

Guest JudgeMental

South fine in June as not high season. Yes area beautiful and well worth the extra days drive....Just keep an eye on weather and make a decision based on that. Brittany nice but can be wet, Loire region, Vendee, dordogne etc..all have nice qualities. Just do a bit of homework on each area you like the look of, (LP and rough guides) check the weather nearer the time and travel accordingly......Simples :-D

Problem being weather patterns have changed for the worse over last few years, and this supposed to be cyclic and not looking to improve anytime soon..

http://woozor.fr/meteo-gratuite-10-jours/meteo-de-paris-en-france_62_6463_fr.html

just looking at the map above, we are now into July and conditions pretty lamentable. except in the south Spain etc....

Hi pp

In June the ACSI and Camping Cheques books are good, paying about 12 - 16 Euro per night for Rig, 2 people and hook up. Most sites have pool, bar etc if that is what you are looking for. The east site of France is also beautiful......

There was a time when I thought that the weather in France was excellent throughout the year especially in the period April to October. I have been travelling to - and mainly through - France for over 50 years and nearly always I end up in Spain due to bad weather. France has a lot of rain!

This year I thought I would give France another chance. Guess what it poured with rain. Admittedly I only got as far south as the Dordogne but the weather in May and June was very poor.

Don't think that the weather in June can be guaranteed so the best advice is to go as far south as time will allow. Even then I have spent many a wet night or even fortnight in St Tropez, Cavaliere and Grimaud. Of course that is not always the case but my feeling is that you should never plan too rigidly and go with the flow following the weather forecast closely. You don't need to book sites as they are never full except in July and August.

Generally I find that the weather improves dramatically when you cross the Pyrenees and it's well worth the half day extra drive to visit sites from the Spanish border down to Barcelona or beyond if time allows. Not only is Spain cheaper, the sites are far better, the roads are less congested, the cost of living far more affordable and the sunshine is more or less guaranteed.

The weather in France this year has been very unpredictable, with appalling flooding in the south and violent storms and heavy rain elsewhere.

We had reasonable weather in our recent (June) French fortnight, but near to us in the Loire area (and also shortly afterwards in Morbihan) savage hail-storms were destroying vineyards (80-gramme hail-stones reported in Morbihan) and causing property damage.

Historically, the weather in June in the sea-coast part of Morbihan has usually been pretty good: similarly for the Vendee. Campsites in both areas will be quite quiet in June.

Based on your previous 'guided tour' inquiry, I suspect you won't be planning a long-duration trip and, as this will be your first time in France with a motorhome, you will probably want to limit your overall motoring mileage. On that basis I suggest you opt for Morbihan.

We came back recently having spent about 4ish weeks in the south of France, out of season there are plenty of ACSI sites but we got very bored with yet another harbour full of gin palaces. We also found that if we had been eating out (which we don't ) and buying drinks etc it would have been very expensive. We also found the locals in this area are nowhere near as friendly as a lot of places we have travelled. Having said that, for a one off we quite enjoyed it but its not a place we would rush back to.

I have just come back from 3 weeks in France. Dordogne, south of France at Giens, Sanary-Sur-Mer, Stes Maries-de-la-Mer, Millau, plus other sites en-route.( Pont de L'Arche, Vendome, Brantome, St Amand Montrand, Les Andelys). All ACSI or Municipal, all very pleasant & easy €10 to €16 for most, some just outside the ACSI range were €18-€20 & we didn't book for any of them.

Had two days of rain, both just South of Rouen one on the way out & one on the way back. Otherwise it was T-shirt weather & sit out & eat.

We didn't find eating out any more expensive than in previous years & we find it is still substantially cheaper than eating out in the UK Average, say €40 - €50 for a 2 course menu & bottle of wine. Obviously you can pay a lot more! We only eat out once or twice a week, but enjoy walking/cycling into the towns to sit a have a Ricard & Kir & soak up the local atmosphere and talk to the locals.

Food in the shops has increased in price - cheese & meats & veg are now on the pricey side, but wine & beer are still good value.

We only use the Autoroutes to get round major towns, otherwise I often use really quite minor little "white" D roads. No problem in our 3850kg 7.3 metre motorhome & they are usually devoid of traffic including large trucks. Travelling this way, you also see France, not a motorway verge!

That's my penny's worth, for what it's worth!

hit france and just head in any direction you fancy, til you think you've travelled far enough that day. if the weather is poor, just keep going south, otherwise go east (or west) if thats what you fancy. its all new and as every one on here has said, its all good. each day is a new trip and adventure, don't make the mistake of zooming off to a final destination. just relax and enjoy. your destination is where ever you chose to go on that day.

Archived