French Motorway Toll Liber-t tag

Curtisden

One of the most useful bits of kit I have bought this year is a French Motorway Toll Liber-t tag. This enables you to drive through all motorway tolls and tunnels without having to pay, it all being collected the end of the month by direct debit.

This system is run from the UK via Sanef Tolling UK which charges a one off returnable fee of Euro20 + a monthly use small fee of a maximum of Euro10 for the year regardless of how many month it is in use as long as you set up a direct debit.

The freedom of not carrying loads of small change/cash and the lack of over hight charging is excellent.

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/subscription?ref=RF-20121129-3938E7D

Highly recommended.

Steve928 - 2013-07-06 10:38 AM

The picture used on the website promotion page for this offer shows a reserved lane with a 2 meter height restriction:

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/Eurotunnel-Le-Shuttle-Offer-Landing-Page

Is there always a 't' lane for vehicles over 2 meters high too?

Large lorries use the ticket system, so answer yes. Just got back from France/Spain and would have found this very useful, as I the passenger always had to reach out either too HIGH or too LOW at the ticket machines

PJay

Got one via Eurotunnel who were doing an offer, but yet to use it. The tag is supposed to mount at the top of the windscreen behing the mirror but our 2013 Ducato has a blacked out area there so mounted it just below, yet to see wether it works or not, anybody else any tips on where to mount it

Threr is a height restriction,copied this from the site.

Vehicles NOT Eligible for the Liber-t Télépéage Scheme

Vehicle Class Vehicle Type Description

3 Class 3 Vehicles

HGV or bus with two axles

Vehicle with overall height of 3 metres or more.

crbtaylor - 2013-07-06 7:43 PM

Got one via Eurotunnel who were doing an offer, but yet to use it. The tag is supposed to mount at the top of the windscreen behing the mirror but our 2013 Ducato has a blacked out area there so mounted it just below, yet to see wether it works or not, anybody else any tips on where to mount it

I mounted mine to the left of that blacked out section and works a treat.

Re hight I believe that MH's over 3m are classed under this contract as Class 2 and pass through ant T marked gate except the far left car lane.

Curtisden - 2013-07-06 8:45 PM

Re hight I believe that MH's over 3m are classed under this contract as Class 2 and pass through ant T marked gate except the far left car lane.

Not sure where you got your info from, my instructions clearly state place IN the blacked out section. Any vehicle over 2mtr tall is class 2 so this means all vans are.

rupert123 - 2013-07-07 10:55 AM

Curtisden - 2013-07-06 8:45 PM

Not sure where you got your info from, my instructions clearly state place IN the blacked out section. Any vehicle over 2mtr tall is class 2 so this means all vans are.

But over 3 m is normally Class 3 or trucks and if you run a Automatic barrier with sat a Dome that takes you over 3m you will most likely be classed so? Had a 2.8m van with one and it was a total pain on tolls.

The Tag insures that all MH's go through as 2 again as i understand?

Re location. Seems I am in the blacked out section after all or its edge. Citroen Relay bodies come with all the extras as standard from East Neuk and the centre section also includes the Rain and Light automatic sensors. But the hatched area is to the left and right. Seems it has some enhancing effect on the tag, but how i have no idea.

P1030525.jpg.ab626845c8f437794818fc94fb3877a9.jpg

P1030524.jpg.fcf8e39b178e699881a8fbd53dea9740.jpg

I must admit to a childish pleasure when the device bleeps and the barrier lifts. We were confused on our second barrier because the first one lifted when we were a long way off but for the second I had to get close and I had visions of it not working and me trying to persuade the following vehicles to move back.

Muswell - 2013-07-07 12:56 PM

I understood that the blacked area is where the windscreen is not treated in anyway, such as having heating elements, which might affect the transmission.

From a Citroen's linked web site.

"Modern windscreen glass has a black ceramic or enamel band (sometimes called the frit) around the periphery which is baked onto the internal surface of the glass. The band has an etched surface to enable special windscreen adhesives to bond to the glass as well as acting as UV light protection for the adhesive preventing it from deteriorating over time. This black band includes a border of dots. Some windscreens also use the dots as a third sun visor to block the sun behind the rear view mirror where most visors don't reach."

crbtaylor - 2013-07-08 10:47 AM

Well our MH weighs 4.5t, no rpoblem with tag or billing

Well their certainly will be if you get caught, the Liber T scheme is for cars and lightweight vans up to 3500kg. For over this you need to belong to the Telepeage poids lourds scheme for larger commercials.

Whoops, having read the Tag website again they quote:-

Liber-t is the French national télépéage scheme for light vehicles operated by the members of ASFA, the association of French motorway operators on behalf of the French government. The scheme operates across the entire autoroute network and a Liber-t tag can even be used to pay for parking at some car parks. The Liber-t scheme is for light and intermediate vehicles and motorcycles only (i.e. vehicle classes 1, 2 and 5). Vehicles over 3.5t GVW* and more than 3m tall are not eligible for the Liber-t scheme but are covered by the TIS-PL (Télépéage Poids Lourds) scheme. Unfortunately, Sanef Tolling UK are unable to supply tags for the TIS-PL scheme. We are working with our sister company Eurotoll to try and come up with a service for consumers (not commercial) who have class 3 and 4 vehicles (e.g. large motorhomes) but at the moment this is not possible.

Notice the wording

Vehicles over 3.5t GVW* AND more than 3m tall are not eligible for the Liber-t scheme

Does this mean as we are 3m high but 4.5 t we are still eligible

For intermediate vehicles it reads:

Vehicle with overall height from 2 to 3 metres and GVW* not exceeding 3.5 tonnes

Train with overall height from 2 to 3 metres and GVW* of towing vehicle not exceeding 3.5 tonnes

Unfortunately your m/h at 4.5 tons is over weight for this scheme

Reply from liber-tag,

> Hi i have a motorhome less than 3.5 tonnes but over 3mtrs in height, can i use the liber-t.

> regards a brown

Dear Alan

Unfortunately your motorhome would not be eligible for the Liber-t scheme, as it is over 3m in height. The tag provider for larger vehicles is TIS-PL and there is a link to their website from the 'About Liber-t' page of our website.

Kind regards

Sanef Customer Support

I joined this scheme earlier this year too but subscribed to the French version (Bip and Go), not the UK one. The French version is much cheaper but you do need a French bank account which you can get without having property in France. I was travelling by car at that time and found it to be fantastic. The lady who set up my membership assured me that my motorhome would be ok. It is less than 3.5 tonnes and less than 3 meters high BUT I have a dome on top which takes it over the 3m. This is perfectly legal (you are allowed an antenna but not air-con on the roof) but the sensors always try to charge me classe 3 so I have to dismount each time and use the telephone. She tells me that won't happen but I have yet to test it!

I, too, was worried by the slow ascent of the barrier but now know that there are some "express" ones which open from quite a distance away but with most of them you have to be quite close to.

Edit: PS I also obtained a spare support so that I can transfer the "badge" from one vehicle to the other.

Archived