Why is it?

nightrider

Over a period of time I have sent in numerous threads that have been well received, my latest contribution on capital punishment has had 154 replies, but why oh why do they end up in name calling and bitchiness, not good enough gentlemen. I would say that the membership of this group are well heeled, intelligent, businessmen, university graduates etc etc so why all the angst? facebook is looked upon as down market in comparison to this group yet my facebook group "Salford Pictures and Chat" is a joy to be a member of, no hassle, arguments and name calling, perhaps this group could learn something from my group?

Spot on George.

You are absolutely correct. The main protagonist would never dare to utter such nonsense with such an abusive tone in a local pub or social gathering.

I believe there is something rather sad about those people whose only outlet for such bile is via hiding behind a keyboard and infecting a forum such as this. *-) :-S

antony1969 - 2013-07-07 10:39 AM

Maybe those who regularly have violent threats made against them on internet chat rooms would do well to look on the mirror once in a while and not use it just for squeezing spots .

Surely nobody gets so many threats for no reason .

'violent threats'???? I must have missed something or have there been threads with some stating they were coming round to knock someone else's block off? I do accept that on occasions a poster's mental abiltiies have been called into question and that there is sometimes a tendency to just keep repeating the same arguments in the belief that eventually it will be accepted as truth, but I have not seen anything much more. Yes, some posters do have a self belief that they are infallible sources of knowledge on any and all subjects, when in fact they are usually bereft of such knowledge, but then again one can see that and ignore it, and I of course speak as someone who does know everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unfortunately my wife does not share my enthusiasm for my intellectual prowess and keep getting told to 'shut up', but I struggle on regardless.

What I do feel could be a better answer is when a thread has degenerated into basically a pantomime of 'yes it is' and 'no, it is not;' between 2 immoveable posters, then pull the plug on it. 3 'strikes' of such a nature and the culprit is 'sinbinned' for a month.

Maybe those who regularly have violent threats made against them on internet chat rooms would do well to look on the mirror once in a while and not use it just for squeezing spots .

Perhaps they are getting threats because the person doing the threatening knows he has lost the argument and has nothing other than internet violence left to offer :-D

John 47 - 2013-07-07 3:31 PM

Perhaps they are getting threats because the person doing the threatening knows he has lost the argument and has nothing other than internet violence left to offer :-D

Perhaps , but somehow I very much doubt it .

antony1969 - 2013-07-07 4:38 PM

Does that mean you believe that threats win the argument?

John 47 - 2013-07-07 4:57 PM

antony1969 - 2013-07-07 4:38 PM

Does that mean you believe that threats win the argument?

Now don't be silly , you would have to ask the person been threatened on numerous occasions what he thinks and then more importantly the person dishing out the threats why he feels the need to threaten somebody he does not know .

Personally I have never been threatened or felt the need to offer such threats to others , I really can't understand why someone gets numerous threats , do you ?

Guest pelmetman

I believe there's a technical term for it ;-)................exasperation :D.........

I can only imagine John's swats went onto get degree's in hairsplitting and loony liberalism (lol) (lol)

pelmetman - 2013-07-07 7:49 PM

I believe there's a technical term for it ;-)................exasperation :D.........

I can only imagine John's swats went onto get degree's in hairsplitting and loony liberalism (lol) (lol)

Yes Dave but do remember that when ever John happens to bump into those old students they can't wait to tell him how happy , fulfilled and content with life they are . That my friend is down purely to one great individual .

I haven't had threats as such, but ... I do seem to have a 'stalker' 8-)

... he's obsessed with my motorhome and pets :$

... should I be worried or feel sorry for him .... :-S

Nah, on second thoughts, forget that ... if it stops him obsessing on someone else that's fine, gotta entertain his lonely little brain cell with something inane haven't we or it might lose the will to live and then where would he be! :D

Mel B - 2013-07-07 8:01 PM

Nah, on second thoughts, forget that ... if it stops him obsessing on someone else that's fine, gotta entertain his lonely little brain cell with something inane haven't we or it might lose the will to live and then where would he be! :D

I have a stalker too Mel , HMRC , don't seem to want to leave me alone .

Guest Had Enough
knight of the road - 2013-07-07 12:42 AM

Over a period of time I have sent in numerous threads that have been well received, my latest contribution on capital punishment has had 154 replies, but why oh why do they end up in name calling and bitchiness, not good enough gentlemen. I would say that the membership of this group are well heeled, intelligent, businessmen, university graduates etc etc so why all the angst? facebook is looked upon as down market in comparison to this group yet my facebook group "Salford Pictures and Chat" is a joy to be a member of, no hassle, arguments and name calling, perhaps this group could learn something from my group?

Very interesting Malcolm. I presume you know about the website Salford Online?

http://www.salfordonline.com/

It's run by a very close friend of mine, who lives in Winton and his company is in Eccles.

To be fair about your point though, your site is a nice one where people can reminisce and look at happy memories. Chatterbox covers topics which will inevitably arouse passions, such as religion, politics, capital punishment, and even dogs in motorhomes seems to stir people some people it would appear!

Guest Had Enough
knight of the road - 2013-07-07 9:41 PM

My facebook group is a locked down secret group, to keep out the baddies.

I've just been reading Salford Pictures Old and New - is that not you then?

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2013-07-07 8:07 PM

Mel B - 2013-07-07 8:01 PM

I have a stalker too Mel , HMRC , don't seem to want to leave me alone .

I meet Mr HMRC a long time ago *-)...................he tried to screw me for another 13k after I'd just paid 10k in taxes *-)........................now I don't earn nuffink on principle >:-) ................AND I DON'T FIDDLE :-D..........(I have a Ukulele)

I have all the nice things in life without the strife ;-)..........................of keeping up with HE's :-D

Guest Had Enough
pelmetman - 2013-07-07 11:07 PM

I have all the nice things in life without the strife ;-)..........................of keeping up with HE's :-D

Well as you mention me I might add that if having the nice things in life means being homeless and spending your final years living in a 25-year-old motorhome, I think I'll prefer to stick with my lifestyle thanks! *-)

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2013-07-07 11:39 PM

Well as you mention me I might add that if having the nice things in life means being homeless and spending your final years living in a 25-year-old motorhome, I think I'll prefer to stick with my lifestyle thanks! *-)

Correction Frank ;-).................a 23 year old motorhome called Horace :D................where I is sat now communicating with your good self ......not far from Penzance B-)..............and I hopes to do the same when I is in far flung climes without a care in the world :D ..................and look forward to you impressing me with your larges B-)......................coz I will know doubt learn how I ave gone wrong? :-S

In the mean time I will devote my time to..................... "New Livers are us" 8-)

Guest Had Enough
pelmetman - 2013-07-07 11:52 PM

Correction Frank ;-).................a 23 year old motorhome called Horace :D................where I is sat now communicating with your good self ......not far from Penzance B-)..............and I hopes to do the same when I is in far flung climes without a care in the world :D ..................and look forward to you impressing me with your larges B-)......................coz I will know doubt learn how I ave gone wrong? :-S

In the mean time I will devote my time to..................... "New Livers are us" 8-)

My apologies - only 23 years, it's nearly new! ;-)

Still prefer my lifestyle though! (lol) (lol)

Had Enough - 2013-07-07 9:52 PM

knight of the road - 2013-07-07 9:41 PM

My facebook group is a locked down secret group, to keep out the baddies.

I've just been reading Salford Pictures Old and New - is that not you then?[/quote

Frank,

Salford Pictures Old and New is not my group, Salford Pictures and Chat is my group, my group is a locked down secret group and cannot be found on the net, membership is by introduction only, by other members and approved by me.

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2013-07-08 12:09 AM

pelmetman - 2013-07-07 11:52 PM

My apologies - only 23 years, it's nearly new! ;-)

Still prefer my lifestyle though! (lol) (lol)

No Frank its not nearly new, Horace is a inheritance ;-).....................that took me a long time to wake up to :D

There's a clock ticking in all of us 8-)...................I just hope we all enjoy the important times with the important people in our lives B-) ..........................coz there's no time once its stopped 8-)

Dave,

For quite some time now I have read a lot of your posts saying that when you sell your house you would like to go full timing in Spain or wherever? But what would you do if you or Sue fell seriously ill? Prior to me being diagnosed with prostate cancer me and the wife were negotiating to buy a dream cottage down in Dorset but my cancer put the kybosh on that dream, at least where we live there is top class cancer facilities here, think I personally would be most reluctant to sell my bricks and mortar to follow a dream to go full timing in Spain or wherever.

Guest pelmetman
knight of the road - 2013-07-08 12:34 AM

Dave,

For quite some time now I have read a lot of your posts saying that when you sell your house you would like to go full timing in Spain or wherever? But what would you do if you or Sue fell seriously ill? Prior to me being diagnosed with prostate cancer me and the wife were negotiating to buy a dream cottage down in Dorset but my cancer put the kybosh on that dream, at least where we live there is top class cancer facilities here, think I personally would be most reluctant to sell my bricks and mortar to follow a dream to go full timing in Spain or wherever.

You raise valid points Malcolm ;-)....................but having spent sometime in Spanish hospitals this January visiting my Dad. I can only say I'd rather be under their care than ours :D..................my opinion is purely based on my experience of being stuffed up a corridor with a ruptured appendix 12 years ago for 24 hours 8-).......................things may have improved :-S..................but I'm not convinced...............as every quack I see now days is clinically obese *-)..........

I'll add this as an aside Malcolm...............If you feel fit enough then make the most of it................my FIL traveled as far as Turkey in our camper before he had to turn round :-( .......................he'd been much further in other campers B-)

Travelling is a bug :-S ....................I thought I'd cured it when I was in the Navy :D..................but now its come back with a vengeance :-)

Archived