Ok YOU CLEVER LOT' ANSWER PLEASE

michele

Apparently it's not open to the public . Sooooooooo I phoned the local council,they gave me the next council . He told me to look on Google. Well phoned the closest she doesn't want to know? So phoned a few others they can't help... What should I do......... pump them up to 79.777 ? please don't confuse me guy's I would appreciate it.......

Guest starspirit
Have you looked in yellow pages? There is often one at a port or a quarry or a gravel pit and even some large farms? How about the local HGV testing station - or they might know where one is - as might the Police or citizens advice bureau? What is the MTPLM or which model van (did you say it is a Bessacar?) (possibly either 3400 or 3850 or 4000kg) or it can be checked via the makers website or MMM. If all else fails this might give us a clue in relation to what we already know from other vans on here. Someone else is bound to have a similarly wheeled, tyred and weight van and have gone through this very experience?

[QUOTE]starspirit - 2006-08-07 11:43 AM If you take a pencil and paper you don't need a written certificate. Quite often, but not always, the operator will just tell you the weights verbally in exchange for a small cash donation to his favourite charity - himself - saving you maybe a few quid. Every little helps in the fight against 'Rip Off UK PLC'[/QUOTE]

Paying £5-10 for the official weighbridge certificate has nothing to with "rip-offs" and everything to do with being able to prove why you aren't operating your vehicle at the manufacturer's recommended tyre pressures. 

Writing weights on a piece of paper, which you then say came from a weighbridge doesn't prove anything.  Having the cert does.

Guest starspirit
Have you ever heard of anyone in authority asking anyone to produce documentary evidence of tyre pressures? In my view, should the occasion ever arise, a printed copy of an email from the tyre company should suffice as this would be based on the weights submitted to the tyre company via the weighbridge thus rendering a weighbridge certificate pointless.

[QUOTE]starspirit - 2006-08-07 8:40 PM Have you ever heard of anyone in authority asking anyone to produce documentary evidence of tyre pressures?

If you are stopped by the police to check your vehicle's weight I understand they often tend to make a general check of the vehicle.  Under these circumstances I have indeed heard of people having their tyre pressures checked.  If you have the certificate and the tyre manufacturer's e-mail, you can easily satisfy them.  If you don't, you may have to try explaining why you aren't respecting the vehicle, and the converter's recommendations.  Their natural tendency will be to presume, without conclusive evidence to the contrary, that your tyres are underinflated.  Most probably they'll only advise you get them properly inflated, it ain't a hanging offence.  However, why not have the evidence?  Produce that and you should be on your way again in 5 minutes without a debate?  Just makes life that much easier all round.  I really can't see the objection.

In my view, should the occasion ever arise, a printed copy of an email from the tyre company should suffice as this would be based on the weights submitted to the tyre company via the weighbridge thus rendering a weighbridge certificate pointless.

Here, you've completely got me!  I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by "weights submitted to the tyre company via the weighbridge".  You seem to be advocating just having a chat with the weighbridge operator and getting a verbal report on what the weights were.  However, in that case there will surely be nothing from the weighbridge?  Do you therefore mean just e-mail the tyre company with the axle loads as notified to you verbally?  That, of course, will get you recommended tyre pressures for your stated tyre type/size/load.  However, without the weighbridge cert, you still have no evidence, if challenged, for those vehicle loads.

I just think that, for the small expense involved, it is better to be able to show, if asked, why one has chosen to ignore the tyre pressures recommended by the vehicle manufacturer and converter.  There is also an insurance angle.  Granted it is remote, but if you are involved in an accident during which your vehicle skidded, and the tyre pressures were below recommendation, it could be held that the vehicle hadn't been properly maintained.  Most insurances are conditional upon proper maintenance and insurance companies do sometimes look to reduce their liabilities, especially if they think someone has been taking liberties.  Again, with the certificate you can establish what the weighbridge said, as well as what the tyre manufacturer said.  When the chips are down it would just make life easier, besides which it just gives me that bit of extra peace of mind to know I can prove exactly why I do as I do!   [/QUOTE]

Guy's please dont worry about us . I will do my best to find a weigh bridge that can accomodate us this week. Tomorrow I will phone Michelin also and ask what the recomended tyre pressure is. You are correct we have only got the tyre pressure from the Fiat book. Better to ask Michelin themselves. The book states 3800kg mass unladen .....will look at the thing in daylight ........ But Once again I am very grateful Thanks for all your help..

Michele: It needs emphasising that Michelin are not motorhome experts and, if you tell them you've got a Bessacarr XYZ, they probably won't have a clue what you are on about. The only way you are going to get advice from Michelin that will be useful to you is first of all tell them exactly which tyres your motorhome has. (Presumably it's got Michelin 215/75 R16C XC Camping tyres, but, if there's any uncertainty, you can confirm this by checking what's written on the tyres' sidewalls. ) Then give Michelin either: a) the maximum permitted weights for your motorhome's front and rear axles as shown on the vehicle's VIN-plate. or (preferably): b) exact weights for your motorhome's front and rear axles as obtained via a weighbridge when the vehicle is in a 'fully loaded' state. When it comes to assessing suitable tyre pressures, the size, and overall or empty weights of the vehicle don't matter - it's the particular tyre and the loads placed on it (either 'maximum permitted' or 'weighed') that are all important.

Michelle, What you need to find if possible is a "Dynamic Axle Weigher" these are usually more accurate than a weighbridge for getting the axle weights. I suggest you contact your local VOSA office, normally we're only too pleased to help anyone who genuinely wants to stay within the weight limit for their vehicle. I would advise anyone who wants to weigh their vehicle to load it to the same degree they would when using it under normal conditions before taking it to be weighed, don't be tempted to weigh it empty, unless you weigh every item and are very careful over where you stow it you could quite easily find you're overweight on either an axle or on the gross. Don't worry if your vehicle is found to be overweight when you take it to be checkweighed - it's a defence in law to be proceeding to the nearest weighbridge by road to check your weight - but you must return to the place of loading to offload the excess before proceeding on your journey. By the way, it's really quite easy to "split" weigh a vehicle on a static plate weighbridge, provided the approach to and exit from the plate is relatively level. Drive your vehicle onto the plate until the rear axle (or in the case of a three axle vehicle, the second axle) is just off the plate - note the weight, this is the first axle weight - drive the vehicle completely onto the plate and note the weight again, this is the gross weight - simple maths, take the first axle from the gross and you have the weight of the second (or second and third) axle(s). You now have the first and second axle weights and the gross weight in a loaded condition. Provided they're within the limits shown on the manufacturers plate you don't have a problem. (And just in case you're wondering - the sum of the first axle weight and second axle weight shown on the plate will always be more than the permitted gross weight shown on the plate, this is to allow for weight distribution.) Go and lay down now Micheele and take a couple of pills, you will need it after reading this post. Don

Guest starspirit
Fine Brian, you do it your way and I'll do it mine, and others can decide what way they want to do things. Personally I think that life is too short to be arseing about with any more bits of paper and beurocracy than we already have to!

I went through all this with the Knaus because the tyre pressures, upon taking delivery, were set at the maximum of 80 psi - only to find, after lowering them to the recommended pressures given by michelin, that the tyre pressures stated in the Knaus handbook were indeed the lower ones recommended by michelin - if I had just taken the converters word for it and not checked that they were actually the right pressure for the vehicle and were set to that pressure I would still be running round on tyres set way too high by any standard!! regards, david

Guest starspirit
Perhaps everyone with revised tyre pressures could share these with everyone else together with their van type & MTPLM tyre type & size? Then we can all compare and, in the light of that information, and in the absense of any other info from the makers, we can all apply whatever we think are the most suitable pressures? Or is that just too easy?

[QUOTE]starspirit - 2006-08-08 11:55 AM Perhaps everyone with revised tyre pressures could share these with everyone else together with their van type & MTPLM tyre type & size? Then we can all compare and, in the light of that information, and in the absense of any other info from the makers, we can all apply whatever we think are the most suitable pressures? Or is that just too easy?[/QUOTE]

Trouble is, it's the actual axle loads that govern the tyre pressures, and not the MTPLM.

Unfortunately, therefore, it is a bit more complicated that just knowing the MTPLM, tyre type and size.  You can, as Derek has suggested above, use the axle maxima to get tyre pressures that should be OK for most eventualities, unless you're overloaded of course! 

But then, if you don't visit the weighbridge you'll never know that will you?  So, back to the top of the page and start reading again.

If you really don't want to know whether your 'van is overloaded, but just prefer to accept that it may be, just stick to the pressures given in the manufacturer's handbook.  These higher pressures are based upon the fact that most won't check their actual loadings, so allow for overload, which is why they're set so high.  You'll loose out a bit on ride comfort, but at least you shouldn't suffer your tyres suddenly disintegrating!

[QUOTE]starspirit - 2006-08-08 11:55 AM Perhaps everyone with revised tyre pressures could share these with everyone else together with their van type & MTPLM tyre type & size? Then we can all compare and, in the light of that information, and in the absence of any other info from the makers, we can all apply whatever we think are the most suitable pressures? Or is that just too easy?[/QUOTE] For all interested party's these are the tyre pressures and axle weights for my Timberland LWB Ducato with a MAM/GVW of 3300kg Tyres. Goodyear Cargo G26 205/70 R15C 106/104R Front axle weight 1680kg (Max allowed 1750kg) Rear axle weight 1620kg (Max allowed 1850kg) This puts me at 3300kg MAM. Front tyre pressure 54psi (3.72bars) Rear tyre pressure 62psi (4.27bars) At present I've done almost 42,000 miles on this set of tyres and there's still plenty of wear left.

Guest starspirit
I agree a weighbridge visit is a good idea fully laden so that you know what you have. As many of us have done this with various vans why don't we all just share the info and help keep life simple? It would not then be too difficult to interpolate weights and pressures? Life is complicated enough Brian, and many of us can't be bothered to plough through long letters.

Ok have finally found a weigh Bridge. The Run around was rediculos but, finally I can have it done on Thursday. Now Guy's Help.....I get the weight of the van yes ? Get a print out yes? Then it's to late for me to E mail Michelin. So can I post the weight on here and then finally find out what to put in my tyre's . Or is it not that simple..?????? Unfortunately I cannot get everyone together and bag's until Thursday. Better still if my husband was not working until late he would understand you lot and your knowledge ...Very confusing for me I just drive it. Never had to learn it but, none the less I am trying (very I hear you all Say). So have a banging headache (keep taking the pills ) trying to understand it all but I am also very worried now . I do not wish to get it wrong . As well as ourself's we have the children on board ... Thank you everyone It is appreciated I know I have lot's of silly comment's trying to have a laugh . I don't alway's have alot of input on the technical side but I can help with other thing's such as drug's medical . So will take some more pills and await the reply's Regards to you all MIchelllllllllllllllle x x x

[QUOTE]michele - 2006-08-08 2:42 PM Ok have finally found a weigh Bridge. The Run around was rediculos but, finally I can have it done on Thursday. Now Guy's Help.....I get the weight of the van yes ? Get a print out yes? Then it's to late for me to E mail Michelin................... [/QUOTE] Michelle If you have the above info and your tyre size give michelin technical a ring on your mobile staright away - 01782 402000 - and they will give you the proper tyre pressures there and then - you can even call at a garage to correct them (if they are underinflated) - and even ask michelin if they can put it in writing for you. At least you will have the proper tyre pressures and, if it's that importane, you could always e-mail michelin later with the same enquiry to get a written e-mail response back. Good luck, david

Michele

When you get to the weighbridge, explain to the operator that you need the weight on each axle and the total weight of the van.

Generally, weighbridges are used for measuring bulk good delivred or collected.  Therefore, most give two weights on the ticket.  Say you're collecting gravel from a builder's yard.  Your lorry arrives and passes over the weighbridge - weight 1, then it collects the gravel and back over the weighbridge, weight 2.  Weight of gravel collected will be the difference between weight 2 (full) and weight 1 (empty).

With your van you play the same game.  Drive on so that the van is as far onto the plate as possible but with the back axle still not on the plate.  Weight 1, weight on front axle only.  Then drive the van fully onto the plate. Weight 2, total weight of van.  If he sets the machine up for a collection, the machine will calculate weight 2 minus weight 1 and print it on the ticket.  That, in your case will be the rear axle weight.  OK?

Then 'phone Michelin, as suggested above, and get the appropriate pressures from them.  Done!

Good luck.

Archived