Ducato cab aircon

crbtaylor

JUst had a 4 drive to Dover and the cab aircon in our 2013 Autotrail Delaware is/was next to useless. In the end we had to open the windows. This is the first time we have used the aircon . Is it just too hot for it to work or has it a fault?

If you have not used it that could be the reason, you should always use the air on for an absolute minimum of 10 minutes on every journey. When they fill it with gas they also put oil into the system to keep the seals supple, if you don't use it regularly the seals dry out and fail.

A lot of people make the mistake of turning it off in the winter about the worst thing you can do to an air on system.

I always leave mine permanently on in both car & Motorhome the difference in fuel consumption is negligible and a lot cheaper than an aircon repair bill that can be very expensive and often not covered under warranty.

Ducati air con normally works well and it will never be too hot for it in England :D

Sounds like you've got a fault...it should blast you with icy air if running right, certainly ours does and that on a 2001 Ducato.

Have you ever run it before? Was it OK then?

I know this might sound daft, but are you absolutely sure you set all the controls to the rights settings: air vents, hot/cold dial, compressor, fan speed etc?

Yes all controls set ok, only used it once before and it seemed ok but it wasnt a particular hot day so it may have just been blowing cool air from outside, looks like a trip to Fiat when we return, luckily only going to Northern France fora few days

I had the same issue with mine just after I got it. It was a builders fault - the pipe from the air con radiator to the unit passes perilously close to the water radiator mounting point and in a very short time it had worn a hole in the hose if the pipework isn't tightened up straight when built. Got it fixed under warranty - have a look under the bonnet drivers side by the radiator. You should be able to see where the pipe goes. They agreed to fix mine after I emailed pics to the dealer, saving a trip. Worth checking anyway - hope that helps.

Completely agree with the above.

Generally, even under warranty Fiat dealers will not re-gas air con without charging you but as it is so new, this should not be an issue for your vehicle. There must be a fault.

We had an 11 plate vehicle that worked ok for a year before it started playing up and then I noticed a piece of plastic sticking out of one of the joints. When the vehicle was assembled, some numpty had left one of the blanking plugs on the pipe . The sheer pressure of the gas had made a small hole in the plug allowing it to work but also leak bit!

Needless to say, I fixed that problem but there have been others.

Get it to the dealer.

On the whole, re-gassing is required every 3 years or so, even if regularly used.

Nick

Archived