The boy done good!

Guest Had Enough

Only saw the last couple of games ... :-|

It was a fantastic win ... when he missed the first match point I could've screamed, then the second and I thought, uh-oh ... noooooooooo ... I've seen this so many times before in matches and it hasn't been good ... I never expected Novak to make a mistake so that Andy won ... I bet he's kicking himself.

Well done to Andy ... I bet he'll never be able to live down 'forgetting' his Mum though!!! :D

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2013-07-08 8:24 PM

If what I hear is true then Andy has just gone up a couple of notches further with me , supposedly donating his 1 million plus prize money to cancer charities , well done that man !

If that's the case Antony then stuff the knighthood................make him a saint B-).............a shining example to all our sportsmen........and women ;-).....

Guest peter
CliveH - 2013-07-07 7:34 PM

Yes - that has to be on the cards :-D

Two Grand slams now - plus an Olympic Gold!

What else does he have to do??????????????

I would bet on it but the odds must be dire.

:-D :-D :-D

Perhaps something worthwhile that he wasn't getting paid a kings ransom for. There are far too many of these awards dished out to people who don't actually add anything to society. Unlike charity workers and the like.

So does he deserve a knighthood? certainly not.

276715820_sofaGIF.gif.6814cc7bfc49fe37091adb68af74c2f0.gif

Guest peter
antony1969 - 2013-07-08 8:24 PM

If what I hear is true then Andy has just gone up a couple of notches further with me , supposedly donating his 1 million plus prize money to cancer charities , well done that man !

Donate his money? you must be joking. This is a Scotsman after all. :D

Bah! "A sport for hooligans" ("played by gentlemen" -- really?) Rugby & soccer should be banned at this time of year -- it ain't natural!

The "Great Game" has just started -- the first 'Ashes' test match at Trent Bridge -- we all hope that those boys will have 'done good' at the end of it (5-0?) -- come on England!

Colin.

Guest pelmetman
Symbol Owner - 2013-07-10 11:07 AM

Bah! "A sport for hooligans" ("played by gentlemen" -- really?) Rugby & soccer should be banned at this time of year -- it ain't natural!

The "Great Game" has just started -- the first 'Ashes' test match at Trent Bridge -- we all hope that those boys will have 'done good' at the end of it (5-0?) -- come on England!

Colin.

I was put off cricket by my English teacher ;-)...........a certain David Ackfield who played for Essex as a demon bowler 8-)....................he got all his practice in my class 8-)..................he never missed with a piece of chalk or blackboard rubber 8-)

pelmetman - 2013-07-10 11:38 AM

I was put off cricket by my English teacher ;-)...........a certain David Ackfield who played for Essex as a demon bowler

Your memory is even worse than mine Dave -- and at your tender age you have no excuse!

David Acfield ( N.B., No K in his suname!) , who I have seen , playing against my 'home' cricket county of Gloucestershire on several occasions, was a first-class off-spinner, not a 'demon' bowler -- almost good enough to play for England -- if his batting had been better. I knew all of that, I have also discovered that his degreee was in history -- so what did he teach you?

I 'blew' my teacher training by spending too much time on the cricket field, in the photographic darkroom and numerous Huddersfield hostelries -- before Antony was even born!)

Cheers,

Colin.

P.S. AND .................sneaking off to Headingley to watch Yorkshire ................ and the odd test match!

C.

Guest Had Enough
Symbol Owner - 2013-07-10 4:14 PM

I 'blew' my teacher training by spending too much time on the cricket field, in the photographic darkroom and numerous Huddersfield hostelries -- before Antony was even born!)

C.

A the nostalgia of it all! Developer, stop bath, fixer, final rinse, squeegee, and the smell.

Paterson developing tanks, Johnsons Unitol and Fixsol and Ilford Bromide paper!

And mount them using a bit of Cow Gum!

I remember it well!

Guest pelmetman

I was put off cricket by my English teacher ;-)...........a certain David Ackfield who played for Essex as a demon bowler

Your memory is even worse than mine Dave -- and at your tender age you have no excuse!

David Acfield ( N.B., No K in his suname!) , who I have seen , playing against my 'home' cricket county of Gloucestershire on several occasions, was a first-class off-spinner, not a 'demon' bowler -- almost good enough to play for England -- if his batting had been better. I knew all of that, I have also discovered that his degreee was in history -- so what did he teach you?

Cheers,

Colin.

P.S. AND .................sneaking off to Headingley to watch Yorkshire ................ and the odd test match!

C.

Pretty sure it was English he taught us :-S............although I only seem to recall sharp blows to the head on a regular basis :D.........not that I was there much ;-)

PS........and there was no K in the name we called him either >:-)

Cheers,

Colin.

C.

All those old Huddersfield pubs Colin are now charity shops , takeaways and the likes .

The only place to get a drink these days in town is in the church graveyard with the white lightning cider crew .

Had Enough - 2013-07-10 4:27 PM

Ah! the nostalgia of it all! Developer, stop bath, fixer, final rinse, squeegee, and the smell.

Paterson developing tanks, Johnsons Unitol and Fixsol and Ilford Bromide paper!

And mount them using a bit of Cow Gum!

I remember it well!

Quite true, Frank, total nostalgia.

My father had two ways of earning a living -- professional musician -- organist, choirmaster & music teacher, and, when that precarious occupation didn't deliver the goods, he worked in 'photographic shops' (mainly) in the darkroom. Firstly in London, for the well-known firm of Wallace Heaton, and, later, when he & my mother had decided that their children should have a country upbringing, for a photo' shop in Gloucester [one of four such in the city at that time (1951) Frank!] I remember, shortly after moving there, my father showed me 'his' darkroom and how it all worked -- with just the sort of products that you refer to. I particularly recall the number of enlargers -- for glass plate processing -- 1/4, 1/2 & 'whole plate' sizes, as well as (if I remember correctly) enlargers for: 828,127, 120/620, and 116 rollfilms, and, finally, the 'baby' of the group, 35mm (135) cassette film, which my father scathingly referred to as: '" Toy photography" (!)

So, 8 years after my father was dead, I took a place at a 'temporary' teacher training college, to find that it had the darkroom described earlier, which by this time, (1963) was totally devoted to 35mm processing! Ilford FP3, HP3 and HPS film. etc.etc!

How your trade has changed in a few short years, Frank!

Cheers,

Colin.

antony1969 - 2013-07-10 7:46 PM

All those old Huddersfield pubs Colin are now charity shops , takeaways and the likes .

The only place to get a drink these days in town is in the church graveyard with the white lightning cider crew .

There were at least 6 different local 'real ale' brews available, as well Antony!

Cheers! (hic!)

Colin. :D

P.S. back to the 'sporting' topic: England (cricket team of course!) 'done well today!

C.

Had to visit a Scot on business the other day and obviously we got round to Andy Murray's generosity.

I mentioned that I thought this was against everything the Scots stood for and was assured by my friend, with a straight face, that

"Oh no Syd that kind of generosity is bred into us"

Of course I had to meet the bill for our meal cos he was in the toilet at the time

Archived