Does anyone carry a 150kg bike in or on their MH?

birdybiker66

I'm wanting to carry a bike a little larger than a 125cc on a Motorhome! I don't want to trailer unless i have to so would like to know peoples experiences and solutions! I've seen MH's with under bed garages but wonder if a 3.5T could still be under weight with something so heavy, Thanks :-S

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
birdybiker66 - 2013-07-08 7:55 PM

I'm wanting to carry a bike a little larger than a 125cc on a Motorhome! I don't want to trailer unless i have to so would like to know peoples experiences and solutions! I've seen MH's with under bed garages but wonder if a 3.5T could still be under weight with something so heavy, Thanks :-S

Many sub 3.5kgs motorhomes with garages have surprisingly low payloads so a 125cc scooter weighing around 125kgs might be too heavy but it all depends on the van in question and the individual axle loadings. For example I was looking at a coachbuilt Pilote the other day which only had a payload of 250kgs so in that van at least it would not be possible to carry a scooter when you take the weight of food, water, fuel and other bits and pieces into account.

On the plus side sub 3.5kg motorhomes with a garage avoid the need for a towbar and rack which add around 60kgs to the weight but it is not possible to be constructive without further details of the van and scooter in question.

birdybiker66 - 2013-07-08 6:55 PM

The van could be but doubt the rear axle would. I have never seen a 3.5t van with a garage that will take more than 125kg and even getting a larger bike in their would be fun. Would suggest you look at the Easylifter Hydra Trail. Their are rear carriers that will take this weight but it all depends on the van and its rear axle capacity.

Thanks for the replies, the bike in question is a Kawasaki ER6 and it weighs about 150kg, I suspect putting it on a rear rack/lifter wouldn't be feasible so inside a garage (therefore bringing the weight nearer the rear axle) is my only chance, I don't have a MH choice yet so I'm hoping somebody out there has tried and conquered this problem. We hired a Tandy McLouis last year and that was just under 3.5ton with just us and food so I wonder how some campers have more payload than others but still be legal, do some manufacturers use better/lighter chassis components and/or interiors? Thanks

We had a Chausson Flash 04 until last year and it had a rear garage which you might have been able to get the bike in. It had a payload of over 700kg but I can't remember what maximum weight the garage could carry and/or what capacity was left on the rear axle.

One thing to also think about is how easy your bike would be to actually load into a garage - getting it up the ramp could take quite an effort so you might have to start eating 3 Wheetabix! :-D

Remember also that if you load 150kgs onto/into a point BEHIND the rear axle, then the actual weight added to that rear axle will be significantly greater.......if loaded maybe 5 or 6 feet behind the rear axle (on a rear carrier for example) the effective additional loading on the rear axle will be MASSIVE. :-S

birdybiker66 - 2013-07-08 10:12 PM

Thanks for the replies, the bike in question is a Kawasaki ER6 and it weighs about 150kg, I suspect putting it on a rear rack/lifter wouldn't be feasible so inside a garage (therefore bringing the weight nearer the rear axle) is my only chance, I don't have a MH choice yet so I'm hoping somebody out there has tried and conquered this problem. We hired a Tandy McLouis last year and that was just under 3.5ton with just us and food so I wonder how some campers have more payload than others but still be legal, do some manufacturers use better/lighter chassis components and/or interiors? Thanks

Putting it on the Hydratrail would certainly work, have you looked at this,

Cathago rate the load for the garage in most of their vans at 250kg including the 3500kg ones but doesn't leave much payload for anything else.

Also remember the weight of bikes is normally given dry so need to add fuel & oil.

What about those small "captive trailers" that attach via TWO hitch points to the rear of the MH, and have one or two castor wheels.....so that they can go up and down but not side to side ( if you get my meaning).

I've seen quite a few of them in France especially..........you load the bike sideways on, up a ramp.

Only a small proportion of the weight is then carried at the two hitch points by the MH, the majority is carried by the castor wheels.

It also means you can reverse easily, as the short "captive trailer" can't jack-knife.

They look very good to me for any heavier bikes........don't know if they are available in the UK though?

birdybiker66 - 2013-07-08 10:12 PM

... We hired a Tandy McLouis last year and that was just under 3.5ton with just us and food so I wonder how some campers have more payload than others but still be legal, do some manufacturers use better/lighter chassis components and/or interiors? Thanks

I think the fact is, a good many aren't legal...pure and simple.

..and a good many trundle around oblivious to the fact...

(..so don't just assume that just because you've seen things lashed on/to the back of MHs, that they're okay to do so...;-) )

If you're determined to take your current motorbike(and don't want to go for a trailer)then as Crinkly' says,maybe look down the purpose made,race truck/van route?

At least they'd(hopefully?) have the payload AND the storage capacity for all the associated clobber:helmets,leathers...waterproofs!(..all of which would pretty much swamp the storage of the average MH).

Having said all of that, you may find it easier to just come around to getting a small(cheap!) scoot' to blat about on, when away with the MH...that way at least you wouldn't be limiting you choice of van...

Hi,

Not realy helping here but having returned from the isle of man TT etc the bikes on motorhome racks over there for the event have to be seen to be believed

How about a Suzuki 650 Burgman on a home made rack - rack must have weighed 100kg

650 Triumph Bonnie, 1000 Yam Fazer,Benelli six and others all in the over 200kg class

These are as well as the tents huge frame type gen set, garden furniture, BBQ etc etc all on small/med motorhomes including one with all the prev kit on a VW camper chassis cab with a huge body the rear was almost dragging the ground

AS prev stated dont know or dont give a """""

Ray

I agree that they're a novel idea Bruce..

But I can't help but think that they belong in the same "..I want to put a quart into a pint pot.." category as A Frames... :-S

..and for me, "castors" belong on shopping trolleys and not on "trailers" that'll end up getting thrashed down the motorway....

I'm not saying the idea wouldn't work in principle...just that for me it'd really need them to be massively over-engineered and tested to destruction before I was happy with them.

Well, that's me with brain fade! :-( Thanks for all the advice, even though it wasn't what i wanted to hear! I have looked at different trailers (heavy duty, lightweight and transverse) but would still like to carry.

I've been looking at other threads and am now learning about EN1646-2, 20% of water when weighing new vehicles and ally gas bottles! So, the ER6 is off the menu and it looks like a Honda 125 for our local transport, I still have to learn about axle loadings and how the extra weight on the back takes a bit more from the front, fun indeed. We are off to browse at a MH show on Friday (not that that will help!) and we'll see how we like the raised bed over garage layout, or not, thanks all and I'll be back with more questions later, thankyou, Dave ;-)

birdybiker66 - 2013-07-09 5:53 PM

Well, that's me with brain fade! :-( Thanks for all the advice, even though it wasn't what i wanted to hear! I have looked at different trailers (heavy duty, lightweight and transverse) but would still like to carry.

I've been looking at other threads and am now learning about EN1646-2, 20% of water when weighing new vehicles and ally gas bottles! So, the ER6 is off the menu and it looks like a Honda 125 for our local transport, I still have to learn about axle loadings and how the extra weight on the back takes a bit more from the front, fun indeed. We are off to browse at a MH show on Friday (not that that will help!) and we'll see how we like the raised bed over garage layout, or not, thanks all and I'll be back with more questions later, thankyou, Dave ;-)

Dave -

I've been a biker all my life and have always had/got some serious machinery in the garage.

But for the motorhome our Honda Innova 125cc weighs in at about 103 kgs, and it an absolute hoot to ride; and easy peasy to load onto the rack on the rear of our MH.

Think "son of C90", a four stroke, 4 speed semi automatic transmission, with fully enclosed rear chain, and EFI fuelling (from about 2005 onwards)

We've had it for about 3 years now and have already done over 22,000kms on it, almost all two-up.

It'll go anywhere, cruise at 85kmph, has bulletproof reliability, has the big 17inch wheels for much better stability, and looks like an "old-mans C90" typre bike, so young scroats wouldn't be seen dead nicking it.

Servicing is an utter doddle, and insurance and parts costs are negligible.

You can pick a really good secondhand one on ebay for maybe 500 quid, then just stick a screen and big top box on it.

I've been genuinely MASSIVELY impressed with what this little bike will do, in towns and cities, out on the motorway, on A-roads and round villages and backwoods tracks all over Europe.

Highly recommended.

This is the type of beast:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-HONDA-INNOVA-ANF-125-7-SILVER-FOR-SALE-SHOWROOM-CONDITION-12-MONTHS-MOT-/360691448421?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item53fae2ba65

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-ANF125-INNOVA-/111064466690?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item19dbf54502

Innova! Funny that, My brother has one and that's the model we are probably going to get but wanted to use the Kwak if we could. i know a guy that has a Burstner T710 (4 ton) and he carries a Honda 175 on a rack but not sure if its over weight or not, I want to look at garage types such as Autotrail swift and burstners, I also need to be wary of axle weight, i was told by one dealer that "any of these MHs will take a bike on the back"! Thanks for taking the time, it almost feels like Spain here, we were at Snetterton this w/e and it was baking!

No, but we have extensive experience with a 125 Yamaha scooter in our Hymer B514SL. We had to replate it to 3850 kg though! The answer is that you could carry a 150 kg bike, but with a GVW of 3500 kg you would have to leave a lot of kit behind. The Hymer's Garage is good for over 300 kg, but that's rather academic as the payload in standard (3500 kg) form is not adequate.

birdybiker66 - 2013-07-09 4:53 PM

Do yourself a BIG favour and DO NOT take your credit cards, or any form of ID with you! That way you can't be tempted to actually BUY one!!! :-D

Hi,

To take our Suzuki Address 125 circa 110kg with fuel,top box etc we needed to uprate the rear axle to 2100kg using SVTECH - air assistance on the rear and uprated tyres 115N rating (1215kg per wheel )

The only safe way to go is Merc /Ford twin rear wheels - alko ditto - or at a pinch Fiat Heavy chassis

Ray

Airstream - 2013-07-09 7:35 PM

Hi,

To take our Suzuki Address 125 circa 110kg with fuel,top box etc we needed to uprate the rear axle to 2100kg using SVTECH - air assistance on the rear and uprated tyres 115N rating (1215kg per wheel )

The only safe way to go is Merc /Ford twin rear wheels - alko ditto - or at a pinch Fiat Heavy chassis

Ray

Sorry but this is rubbish. we carried a 125cc Honda Innova on the back of a Swift Sundance 530lp for three years. This is a small Swift with a rear axle of 1900kg, never exceeded the rear axle load. Our current van has a rear axle load of 2000kg and we carry a Honda Vision 110cc which weighs 105kg and still have 80kg spare on the rear axle.

rupert123 - 2013-07-09 9:05 PM

Airstream - 2013-07-09 7:35 PM

Hi,

Ray

Sorry but this is rubbish. we carried a 125cc Honda Innova on the back of a Swift Sundance 530lp for three years. This is a small Swift with a rear axle of 1900kg, never exceeded the rear axle load. Our current van has a rear axle load of 2000kg and we carry a Honda Vision 110cc which weighs 105kg and still have 80kg spare on the rear axle.

According to a review by Practical Motorhome it only had a 3000kg chassis and a 315kg payload:

http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/review/motorhome/2006-swift-sundance-530-lp

If you had your 105kg Honda on the back, plus the weight of whatever rack you had, say another 15kg minimum making 120kg, plus you and your Mrs making around another 150kg, that equates to 270kg, so where do you get that you had 80kg left once your other stuff was also on board .... as by my calculations that only left 45kg ... so what else DID you take with you in your Swift 530? 8-)

Mel B - 2013-07-08 10:21 PM

One thing to also think about is how easy your bike would be to actually load into a garage - getting it up the ramp could take quite an effort so you might have to start eating 3 Wheetabix! :-D

No, you don't push it up the ramp, you drive it up!

Star55 - 2013-07-09 9:50 PM

Mel B - 2013-07-08 10:21 PM

No, you don't push it up the ramp, you drive it up!

Maybe ... it would depend on how high the garage is and how 'tall' you are ... some MH owners are mere pip-squeaks!!! (lol)

Archived