Does anyone carry a 150kg bike in or on their MH?

birdybiker66

Mel B - 2013-07-09 10:41 PM

rupert123 - 2013-07-09 9:05 PM

Airstream - 2013-07-09 7:35 PM

Hi,

To take our Suzuki Address 125 circa 110kg with fuel,top box etc we needed to uprate the rear axle to 2100kg using SVTECH - air assistance on the rear and uprated tyres 115N rating (1215kg per wheel )

The only safe way to go is Merc /Ford twin rear wheels - alko ditto - or at a pinch Fiat Heavy chassis

Ray

Sorry but this is rubbish. we carried a 125cc Honda Innova on the back of a Swift Sundance 530lp for three years. This is a small Swift with a rear axle of 1900kg, never exceeded the rear axle load. Our current van has a rear axle load of 2000kg and we carry a Honda Vision 110cc which weighs 105kg and still have 80kg spare on the rear axle.

According to a review by Practical Motorhome it only had a 3000kg chassis and a 315kg payload:

http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/review/motorhome/2006-swift-sundance-530-lp

If you had your 105kg Honda on the back, plus the weight of whatever rack you had, say another 15kg minimum making 120kg, plus you and your Mrs making around another 150kg, that equates to 270kg, so where do you get that you had 80kg left once your other stuff was also on board .... as by my calculations that only left 45kg ... so what else DID you take with you in your Swift 530? 8-)

A rack and towbar weighs more like 60kgs not 15 kgs so that's your 45kgs. A full tank of fuel and water accounts for quite a bit more plus the 105kgs for the Honda is probably a dry weight plus helmets and clothing etc so Rupert's van must have been running close or even above its maximum.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest peter
BGD - 2013-07-09 2:04 PM

This is the sort of "twin hitch" castor-wheeled motorhome bike-trailer that I was referring to above:

The only problem with this rack is that it cannot pivot from side to side as one wheel goes over a bump. Unlike the hydratrail which pivots in the centre allowing it to rotate around the centre as you travers a bump. I have a hydratrail and have just done over 3 thousand miles in Europe in 5 weeks on all sorts of roads at motorway speeds as well and it performed very well with no tyre scrubbing or undue wear. I was a bit sceptical at first as it's a totally off the wall concept, but it works a treat and I'm now very confident in the design. Just need to make sure it's well maintained as with the rest of the van's accessories etc.

BGD - 2013-07-09 2:04 PM

This is the sort of "twin hitch" castor-wheeled motorhome bike-trailer that I was referring to above:

I had been interested in these until seeing one in 'action', it was a twin bike one, slightly bigger than the one in video. The swing out of the rear just had to be seen to be believed, it converted a 6m PVC into a van with effectively the biggest rear overhang I've ever seen.

We have a 'normal' inline two bike trailer at work and it's perfectly ok

Mel B - 2013-07-09 9:41 PM

Hi,

To take our Suzuki Address 125 circa 110kg with fuel,top box etc we needed to uprate the rear axle to 2100kg using SVTECH - air assistance on the rear and uprated tyres 115N rating (1215kg per wheel )

The only safe way to go is Merc /Ford twin rear wheels - alko ditto - or at a pinch Fiat Heavy chassis

Ray

Sorry but this is rubbish. we carried a 125cc Honda Innova on the back of a Swift Sundance 530lp for three years. This is a small Swift with a rear axle of 1900kg, never exceeded the rear axle load. Our current van has a rear axle load of 2000kg and we carry a Honda Vision 110cc which weighs 105kg and still have 80kg spare on the rear axle.

According to a review by Practical Motorhome it only had a 3000kg chassis and a 315kg payload:

If you had your 105kg Honda on the back, plus the weight of whatever rack you had, say another 15kg minimum making 120kg, plus you and your Mrs making around another 150kg, that equates to 270kg, so where do you get that you had 80kg left once your other stuff was also on board .... as by my calculations that only left 45kg ... so what else DID you take with you in your Swift 530? 8-)

Not sure where you or Practical Motorhome get this stuff Mel, my experience is from actually doing it, not reading about it. The 2008 Swift Sundance 530LP had a maximum payload of 3300kg, not 3000kg, that in fact was the old model. The payload was over 500kg, cannot remember the exact amount but no doubt as you appear to doubt what I say you can look it up. I also had mine uprated to 3500kg which gave me a payload of over 700kg with an additional 100kg on the rear axle. The figures I quoted were pre the upgrade so a standard 530lp will carry a light scooter with ease.

Mike88 - 2013-07-09 9:57 PM

Mel B - 2013-07-09 10:41 PM

Hi,

Ray

A rack and towbar weighs more like 60kgs not 15 kgs so that's your 45kgs. A full tank of fuel and water accounts for quite a bit more plus the 105kgs for the Honda is probably a dry weight plus helmets and clothing etc so Rupert's van must have been running close or even above its maximum.

Pleased to see you are still talking b******s Mike, see my reply to Mels post. You lot do to much reading and personal experience is seriously lacking in this area.

What is inaccurate or bo......s as you so politely put it? I suggest you read my post again.

Are you disagreeing that a rack or towbar weighs more like 60kgs rather than the 15kgs Mel has suggested. Or are you saying that the motorhome manufacturer has not taken a full tank of fuel and water into account in calculating weights or is it that your 105kgs scooter is not the wet weight?

Sorry but I don't get your criticism.

This thread advises the original poster that care needs to be taken in deciding whether a motorhome is suitable for carrying a scooter by doing all the necessary weight calculations. You might have been able to carry a scooter on your van but as has been stated not every motorhome is able to support such a weight. To categorise this approach as rubbish is totally irresponsible.

Many motorhomers do of course carry heavy scooters on 3.5kgs vans but heavens forbid what would happen in the event of an accident not forgetting that any insurance claim would be void if the vehicle was found to be overloaded.

Mike88 - 2013-07-10 11:42 AM

What is inaccurate or bo......s as you so politely put it?..

...This thread advises the original poster that care needs to be taken in deciding whether a motorhome is suitable for carrying a scooter by doing all the necessary weight calculations. You might have been able to carry a scooter on your van but as has been stated not every motorhome is able to support such a weight.

To categorise this approach as rubbish is totally irresponsible.

I agree Mike.

..I think the recent thread discussing the Fiat reverse gear judder malarkey must've "re-ignited" Rupert's, "..it's all a load o' b****s.." reflex! (lol)

I didn't mean to start a riot but its all very useful info once I've deciphered it, :-S I'm still hoping that a garage and 125 Innova will be fine without losing too much payload, I like the idea of it being hidden and not just unhitched and not see it again but i also have a classic bike that weighs 200kg so if i wanted to show that I'd need a trailer anyway :-S

I like you're Hymer star55 but my missus aint keen on a transverse bed *-) It's a bit out of our range anyway, we (me!) are looking at 35k tops at the mo' but like most things in life it changes! Dave

birdybiker66 - 2013-07-10 4:58 PM

I didn't mean to start a riot but its all very useful info once I've deciphered it, :-S I'm still hoping that a garage and 125 Innova will be fine without losing too much payload, I like the idea of it being hidden and not just unhitched and not see it again but i also have a classic bike that weighs 200kg so if i wanted to show that I'd need a trailer anyway :-S

I like you're Hymer star55 but my missus aint keen on a transverse bed *-) It's a bit out of our range anyway, we (me!) are looking at 35k tops at the mo' but like most things in life it changes! Dave

Might I suggest that you'll get a really cracking MH for a lot less than that.....£25k should get you a corker, with masses of money left over to add bells and whistles, and pay for loads of touring in it.

And the depreciation (which is mostly actually the biggest cost of ownership by far) will be a lot less as well................

BGD - 2013-07-10 4:35 PM

Might I suggest that you'll get a really cracking MH for a lot less than that.....£25k should get you a corker, with masses of money left over to add bells and whistles, and pay for loads of touring in it.

And the depreciation (which is mostly actually the biggest cost of ownership by far) will be a lot less as well................

Yep...Maybe a "garaged" version of something like this?

Having said that, it would(may?!)probably cope with a rack anyway.....?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-FORD-TRANSIT-CHAUSSON-WELCOME-27-6-BERTH-T135-350-/190867242207?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item2c7092fcdf

(..yeah..I know..I posted this before,over on another thread ..but I do like my twin wheel RWDs (lol) )

You also have to find out whether a bike will actually go in the garage! The Hymer was the only one at the time we were looking - even with the mirrors and back box removed. We were originally going to have a rack on our previous Hymer but preferred the bike to be out of sight and kept relatively clean.

birdybiker66 - 2013-07-10 6:11 PM

I know what you mean about the bed S, we need to try one again and maybe rethink otherwise its definateley bike trailer whatever bike/scoot i use,

BGD, I havn't ruled out sub 30k its just the ones above this price are newer and shinier! Dave

Dave - Slightly tongue in cheek perhaps, but here's a different view: newer and shinier in my book really means:

Loads more dosh down the drain.

More likely to get nicked.

More likely to get broken into & stuff nicked from it ( you look rich!).

More likely to have a catalytic converter to get stolen. (Google this problem; it is rife!)

More likely to have fancy EGR's and DPF's to go wrong/foul up.

Chassis-cab and engine spares will cost more.

Servicing will cost a lot more.

Depreciation will cost a LOT more.

Want it shiny?

You can buy an awful lot of polish if you've spent £25k rather than £35k on the motorhome.

And an awful lot of diesel.

And an awful lot of toys to add to it.

And an awful lot of cross channel ferry/chunnel trips.

Etc etc etc.

We could have bought brand new, and just dumped a massive amount of money.

I'm ecstatic with our now 11 year old motorhome, and also with the other £30k that I could also have spent still invested and earning money rather than sitting on the drive losing it.

What is inaccurate or bo......s as you so politely put it? I suggest you read my post again.

Are you disagreeing that a rack or towbar weighs more like 60kgs rather than the 15kgs Mel has suggested. Or are you saying that the motorhome manufacturer has not taken a full tank of fuel and water into account in calculating weights or is it that your 105kgs scooter is not the wet weight?

This thread advises the original poster that care needs to be taken in deciding whether a motorhome is suitable for carrying a scooter by doing all the necessary weight calculations. You might have been able to carry a scooter on your van but as has been stated not every motorhome is able to support such a weight. To categorise this approach as rubbish is totally irresponsible.

Many motorhomers do of course carry heavy scooters on 3.5kgs vans but heavens forbid what would happen in the event of an accident not forgetting that any insurance claim would be void if the vehicle was found to be overloaded.

What was inaccurate, try your statement , my van 'MUST be at or over its limit', it was not, never was. You just jumped in on Mels post and assumed what she said was accurate, as I said a load of b******s. I have already pointed out that the van should be weighed and weights calculated before doing this but also pointed out it was perfectly possible on even pretty small vans. I have done it twice all within weight limits, I have even bought one of those drive over weight things to make checks. I have never categorised the approach you suggest as rubbish as you well know you are now just trying to defend your daft comments.

pepe63 - 2013-07-10 12:30 PM

What is inaccurate or bo......s as you so politely put it?..

...This thread advises the original poster that care needs to be taken in deciding whether a motorhome is suitable for carrying a scooter by doing all the necessary weight calculations. You might have been able to carry a scooter on your van but as has been stated not every motorhome is able to support such a weight.

To categorise this approach as rubbish is totally irresponsible.

I agree Mike.

..I think the recent thread discussing the Fiat reverse gear judder malarkey must've "re-ignited" Rupert's, "..it's all a load o' b****s.." reflex! (lol)

What are you agreeing with exactly Mikes load of b******s (lol)

birdybiker66 - 2013-07-10 3:58 PM

Never mind the riot, it just makes thing interesting. On forums their are two types of people, those that have done it and those that have read about it. On here you will find both and need to look at where the advice is coming from. As I have pointed out you can carry a scooter on a pretty small van but you need to do your checks. A usefull calculator is on the SV tech website, it allows you to play around with loadings on a van and see what the outcome on the axle weights will be. Armitage towbars, who did my latest rack are also a mine of information and very helpful, as are Watling towbars. Incidently the Hydratrail, which I have already pointed you at will take up to 250kgs. I noticed one poster has one so a pm to him will probably give you practical advice from someone who knows.

rupert123 - 2013-07-10 7:25 PM

What was inaccurate, try your statement , my van 'MUST be at or over its limit', it was not, never was. You just jumped in on Mels post and assumed what she said was accurate, as I said a load of b******s. I have already pointed out that the van should be weighed and weights calculated before doing this but also pointed out it was perfectly possible on even pretty small vans. I have done it twice all within weight limits, I have even bought one of those drive over weight things to make checks. I have never categorised the approach you suggest as rubbish as you well know you are now just trying to defend your daft comments.

Your post implied to me at least that the specific weight points raised were" b......s". Your assertion that you had previously pointed out that weights should be checked was lost on me but I'll take your word for it as you are always right and the rest of us wrong.

In a later post you were correct in saying that some read about things and some actually take action. There is a further category - namely those who do research. In my case for example I received definitive advice from both Swift and Witter not to carry a scooter on the rear because of the leverage effect and the need to keep an appropriate weight ratio between the front and rear axles. Only a fool would ignore this advice.

I don't want to prolong this because - strange as this may seem - we both agree that to carry a scooter on a motorhome is specific to the individual vehicle and that all weight issues are taken into account.

rupert123 - 2013-07-10 10:17 AM

Hi,

Ray

Not sure where you or Practical Motorhome get this stuff Mel, my experience is from actually doing it, not reading about it. The 2008 Swift Sundance 530LP had a maximum payload of 3300kg, not 3000kg, that in fact was the old model. The payload was over 500kg, cannot remember the exact amount but no doubt as you appear to doubt what I say you can look it up. I also had mine uprated to 3500kg which gave me a payload of over 700kg with an additional 100kg on the rear axle. The figures I quoted were pre the upgrade so a standard 530lp will carry a light scooter with ease.

Perhaps, Rupert, if you had given FULL information about your Swift Sundance 530LP when making your statement about what could be carried on it, it would not have caused me to query your comments .... I may be many things but a mind reader isn't one of them! You now state that you had the later version and that in its standard form it was suitable which I DO believe, but you still had it uprated from 3300kg to 3500kg for some reason. I think it was a bit misleading for you to therefore 'imply' that the standard 530L, without giving details of what model year it was, would be suitable. :-S

Oh, and saying something is 'rubbish' just because you've managed to find a motorhome that could do what the OP wanted is rather rude ... there are much nicer and more respectful ways to say you disagree.

rupert123 - 2013-07-10 6:25 PM

Err ... you didn't say that Rupert ... what you said was:

rupert123 - 2013-07-08 9:22 PM

The van could be but doubt the rear axle would. I have never seen a 3.5t van with a garage that will take more than 125kg and even getting a larger bike in their would be fun. Would suggest you look at the Easylifter Hydra Trail. Their are rear carriers that will take this weight but it all depends on the van and its rear axle capacity.

which isn't the same thing ....

rupert123 - 2013-07-10 6:41 PM

... On forums their are two types of people, those that have done it and those that have read about it. On here you will find both and need to look at where the advice is coming from.

Oh dear, here we go ... the 'superiority complex' of Rupert strikes again ...

:D

Mel B - 2013-07-10 8:18 PM

Hi,

Ray

Perhaps, Rupert, if you had given FULL information about your Swift Sundance 530LP when making your statement about what could be carried on it, it would not have caused me to query your comments .... I may be many things but a mind reader isn't one of them! You now state that you had the later version and that in its standard form it was suitable which I DO believe, but you still had it uprated from 3300kg to 3500kg for some reason. I think it was a bit misleading for you to therefore 'imply' that the standard 530L, without giving details of what model year it was, would be suitable. :-S

Oh, and saying something is 'rubbish' just because you've managed to find a motorhome that could do what the OP wanted is rather rude ... there are much nicer and more respectful ways to say you disagree.

OK, when I said rubbish it was in reply to a statement made that you needed a twin wheel merc/ford, I stand by this and pointed out my own circumstance to make a point. I gave the MODEL and YEAR of my then van. You not believing this then went to work with google and came up with a set of completely wrong figures and this is apparently my fault, I did give the full information, or as much as needed. I implied nothing, I clearly state the original figures quoted were the van in its standard form. After I added the upgrade details but they do not alter in any way my original figures. The upgrade as you are so interested was done because to be safe I was only travelling with at max a quarter full fresh water tank, SV tech upgrade added 100kg to the rear axle so I could carry as much water as I wanted, as an aside the addition of air bags did improve the ride but they were added for the additional load this was a bonus.

rupert123 - 2013-07-10 9:21 PM

Mel B - 2013-07-10 8:18 PM

Hi,

Ray

OK, when I said rubbish it was in reply to a statement made that you needed a twin wheel merc/ford, I stand by this and pointed out my own circumstance to make a point. I gave the MODEL and YEAR of my then van.

1. Excuse me for correcting you Rupert but you DID NOT give this information at that point, if you had then we would have had the whole picture wouldn't we! :-D

You not believing this then went to work with google and came up with a set of completely wrong figures and this is apparently my fault, I did give the full information, or as much as needed
2. Ah ... now we're getting somewhere ... I refer you to my comment above .... :-S

I implied nothing, I clearly state the original figures quoted were the van in its standard form.
3. Nope, you did not ... refer to point 1. again ... I'm starting to get dizzy with all of this going round in circles! *-)

After I added the upgrade details but they do not alter in any way my original figures.
wriggle, wriggle ... :D

The upgrade as you are so interested was done because to be safe I was only travelling with at max a quarter full fresh water tank, SV tech upgrade added 100kg to the rear axle so I could carry as much water as I wanted

Ah, so there was a 'compromise' that had to be made to be able to do what you were BEFORE you upgraded .... :$

as an aside the addition of air bags did improve the ride but they were added for the additional load this was a bonus.
I must have missed where you mentioned air-bags (air assisted rear suspension?) but I too agree that they do improve the ride on some vans quite considerably. :->

Archived