Advantages or not on using dearer Fuel

I have tried a search but cannot seem to get the system to work

Is there any advantage to using more expensive diesel such as V power Nitro ?

My son-in-law uses the more expensive petrol in his his BMW and swears he gets better mileage and the vehicle runs better.

I remember many years ago my Father used to put three shots of Red X in his petrol and swore the vehicle used to run better, So does any members use any additive in there fuel and is there any advantage? I no they say with modern engines and oils engines do not require any of these additions.

Terry

I do about 1000 miles per week in a 2 litre diesel car, I tried using the premium fuels for a 4 week trial, and found that the improved fuel consumption just about balanced the increased cost, so I don't bother anymore.

I do use an injector cleaner in my van once each season, because of the low mileage.

AGD

Strangely enough, our Bessacarr (1998 Fiat 2.5 TDi Cat) definitely prefers the posh stuff, running more sweetly, quietly and with notably better pulling power on hills when fed a regular diet of BP Ultimate. I haven't done a sufficiently scientific survey of whether or not I'm getting more miles per gallon, but I feel that any extra cost (if indeed there is one) is worth it considering the other benefits. And it's not that I buy that much of the stuff for a typical year's mileage of 2/3000 miles.

On the other hand, my Mercedes E320 estate seems just as happy on plain old ordinary cooking petrol, with no discernible difference either way.

I seem to remember reading something in MMM within the last year about a chap who did a thorough study of costs and benefits using the expensive stuff. He concluded that it was worth it, and had the figures to prove this.

I guess suck it and see is maybe the best option (not literally, of course!)

RogerC - 2013-07-09 3:55 PM

If it was worth it in terms of increased mpg and cost saving all the 'fleets' would be using it.......ever seen a fleet van/lorry filling up with it?

The report referred to in MMM concluded that there was neither a financial gain or loss from using the "posh" diesel so RogerC's comment has merit regarding fleet van/lorry fleets.

However the report did say that there was an improvement in emissions and the motor ran more smoothly, this would obviously be of absolutely no interest to fleet operators where money and profit are king.

We private and dare I suggest proud owners of motorhomes tend to pamper and enjoy smoother running vehicles so although Zero financial gain a recommendation to using "posh" diesel is a positive step.

A while ago our local fuel stations ran out of standard diesel so I had to reluctantly pay for the premium stuff and being surprised at the improvement I have continued to use it eversince, including jaunts thro france and Spain.

In the end you pays your money Etc.

Mike

My son's firm ran its fleet of 5 vans on the posh stuff for 4 weeks two years ago. They found benefits but not enough to justify the extra expense. They did think about improved longevity of the engine but as they were already getting more than 200,000 miles from them, they didn't see the point.

My son says his Corsa runs better on the posh stuff but it only just pays for itself on fuel savings. I've tried it a few times and noticed a slight difference but not enough to justify the spend.

For the majority of us, fuel consumption is the result of our driving style rather than fuel. There is a risk that the smoother the van operates on the posh fuel, the faster you drive without noticing.

I think it will be impossible to do a realistic test on which is better unless the gains were massive. Even a lab experiment wouldn't be much use.

Just back from 3500 miles around Northern Spain and France and I tried all sorts of fuel from supermarket el cheapo right up to poncy Shell top of the range without noticing any difference whatsoever in the way it ran, pulled, sounded or the mpg - which was pretty constant at around 30.

All fill ups were after about 500 miles and were brim full to brim full and the true economy was calculated rather than rely on the erratic and overly optimistic dashboard readout.

Undeniably posh diesel does seem to help some engines but the only way is to try it and judge for yourself.

Or maybe any fuel takes longer than one tankful and 500 miles to have any perceivable 'benefit'?

Archived