Levelling ramps could be wider??

Pampam

It's my job to stick the ramps under front wheels when parking on slopes etc ,the triple milenco thingy and am so happy when I get it right but hate it if the tyres just a millimetre overhanging my OCD has to have it bang on so why don't they make them just an inch wider??? Pp

Yes I know but you know what it's like you pull up on site there's at least two dozen net curtains twitching and it's you and him signalling and waving and if its just a bit hanging over I'm thinking argh will the tyre be alright ?NO back you go .it would cut out all my indecision if it was wider .then I wouldn't be leaping about lining them up ,I could be quite nonchalant about it(you've got to have a touch of OCD to get my drift) pp

Guest JudgeMental
How can you miss a ramp? no need to have a run at it...just stick ramps in correct position, tight under tyre and up you go. :-D

And, while you're at it, don't faff around cooking your clutch trying to level the van on the way up.

Just one short, sharp dose of welly, go straight to the top (if necessary with partner enlisted to shout STOP before you go over the edge!), and then adjust level on the way down (a bit easier with smooth ramps rather than the stepped variety), which only requires use of the brakes. What could be easier? :-)

I did see some "jacking ramps" whilst abroad. You drove onto them whilst flat and then wound them up on a screw jack. I thought they were an excellent idea. I couldn't see a makers name and I wondered if they had been home made.

To answer Pampam's question though, yes, I think they should be a bit wider, my tyres sometimes look a bit "uncomfy" sitting on them.

H

But if they were wider wouldn't they look awkward because the tyres didn't quite fill them?

Some possible solutions:

1. Be thankful it's all you have to worry about and let it go

2. Get some narrower tyres

3. Get some wider ramps - have hours of fun with a UNIKO 6 in 1 system

4. Make your own ramps

5. Don't stay on sites and then you can spend hours getting it just so without people who have even less in their lives peeping at you through their nets

6. Get a self levelling system fitted (and impress the curtain twitchers)

7. Sell the 'van

Good luck.

Brian Kirby - 2013-07-09 1:31 AM

And, while you're at it, don't faff around cooking your clutch trying to level the van on the way up.

Just one short, sharp dose of welly, go straight to the top (if necessary with partner enlisted to shout STOP before you go over the edge!), and then adjust level on the way down (a bit easier with smooth ramps rather than the stepped variety), which only requires use of the brakes. What could be easier? :-)

BINGO!

I always do that.

Yet I see so many people literally frying their clutches by inching up a little at the time. You can smell the burnt clutch plates stink for a long time after they've finished faffing about. And people wonder why their clutch only lasted for X-thousand miles.

I use "stepped" ramps, and it seems perfectly straightforward to push the ramps tight to the tyres, rev up, and go straight up to the 2nd position in one quick go, then allow the van to slowly & gently come back down using the footbrake until it feels level.

Once you've done it a few times it's really easy to "feel" where that 2nd position is (and then there's a "stop-lip" at the end of the ramps above that second position that you can feel anyway as you drive up)

Pampam - 2013-07-08 10:43 PM

.then I wouldn't be leaping about lining them up

Not sure why you are " leaping about " while " lining them up " ?

( Although it might be worth watching )

The driver gets the wheels straight - you tuck the levellers tight under the wheels - and the driver drives up.

Not really any " lining up " to be done ( ? ) - although it's best to let the driver know if he/she's about to go ' over the top '

:-D

...and if it is that you are finding that they are shuffling about when the wheels first put pressure on and they need "realigning", then maybe look at fitting those anti slip tabs?

http://www.fiammastore.com/Levellers/Fiamma-Anti-Slip-Plate-for-Fiamma-Levellers

(I've just cable tied a small piece of rubber mat to the "nose" of ours. This helps to stop them from getting "pushed" away, when pitching up on tarmac/concrete..but they can be just flipped underneath when not needed).

Brian Kirby - 2013-07-09 12:31 AM

Them self levelling hydraulic thingies. Can't be bothered to even find out if they would fit our little AutoTrail though!

We use Melenco Quatro Stepped ramps. I've made some marks on our level which tell me what step I need. I simply drive up feeling the steps as I go until I get to the one I want. Works every time. If I need the top one I do get the wife to help. Would hate to drive off the top of one of those levelling blocks!

Following on from Brians advice, which I might add I had never thought about, one thing that I do use for levelling is a piece of wood 11/2" x 1/2" by 24" and have marked the maximum travel to take me to a safely top of the Fiamma wedge style ramps.

I use it as follows:- Leave the drivers door open and place the wood on the ground just below the drivers step. I then place a coin on the drivers step to align with the first mark on the wood.

Then drive until the coin aligns with the second mark and there you are safely at the top of the ramp. NO chance of the wife (or husband) shouting stop a bit early or heaven forbid too late.

Brians technique can the be applied.

Mike

Agree with Brian, and DON'T do as I did, drive over the 'top' of the levellers (Milenco triples) because they then 'pivot up' and do 'Nasty things' to the wheelarch/underbody side panels etc., and are a swine to 'unjam' them, suffice to say a large rubber mallet and much swearing did the trick. BUT two new lower body panels(abs plastic) are now required !! Wife is now required to monitor ALL levelling attempts. Or she says she will confiscate my license ! Ray

Overdrive - 2013-07-09 1:15 PM

Make it easy on yourself and reverse up the ramps!

Reverse is a lower gear, and if ramps up the front you can see what you are doing by opening the drivers door - no need for a guide.

David

reverse is not ALWAYS lower than first, (the cause of much heartache,and MANY forum postings) especially on X250 Sevels .Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen. Ray

The OCD isn't the old man it's me , the dearly beloved doesn't give a rats about em being lined up , he drives up and then inches back down, but sometimes the little devils spin at a slight angle but I'm sure ill think of something to stop it & crinkly I'd never sell my van cos I luuurve it and I don't"worry" about it I just think it I'd be a better design if it was an inch wider .ill look at a unico thingy as you suggest thank you pp

Archived