What fuse holder to use when connecting a second leisure battery

Guest machra

Guest machra

Having researched what is required to install a second leisure battery (mine will sit next to the first) I am stuck on the fuse holder to use in the positive to positive connection cable. This is due to the suggested use of 35mm2 cabling to connect the batteries. The literature I have read says I will need a 20 to 25 amp fuse but using such thick cable I need a strip/midi fuse holder (see link below, but the fuses for this type of holder only start at 30 amps. Will 30 amp do?

http://www.electricalcarservices.com/Fuse-Boxes/In-line-Fuse-Holders/In-Line-Fuse-Holders/Fuse-Holder--Strip/Midi-Fuses-ECS-RFHA360__p-80-334-1554.aspx

To fuse the battery to battery link cable, the higher rating the better really. You are only doing this to guard against short-circuits, not to protect against overload by using installed apparatus.

I personally would go for about 60 amp and if you are ever intending to use an inverter, even higher. A 1kw inverter will take about 150 amps from the batteries on start-up (maybe even higher).

I don't suggest it is right for it is not, but I have seen many side by side batteries fitted without fuses.

The purpose of a fuse is to protect the cable, so in theory you would need a fuse at each battery terminal (making four in all) to protect the cable from each end.

Fuse holders for 35mm sq cable are few and far between and are expensive.

If it was me I would use 70 amp battery cable and a single 50 amp maxi fuse in each conductor.

Everything is available on eblay, you will need proper connections, soldered or very well clamped.

H

Archived