Dometic Fridge Temp

tonyfletcher

Hi Tony

Yes the hot weather can affect the fridge's operation, due to a build up of heat at the rear some fridges can't always keep cool enough and have an additional fan fitted to the rear as standard (some Rapidos for instance) to help draw the hot air out through the external vents and/or draw cool air in (I can't remember which!). It is possible to after-fit a fan and I'm sure someone on here will advise how to do it.

Not used our fridge in the last week, but it was very hot at times when we where last in France and our fridge worked very well, in fact most times it works too well and if it's only a bit cold it can get too cold even on the lowest settings freeze items outside of ice box

Most definitely your fridge/freezers effectiveness on gas will be affected by hot weather.

Down here in Spain i see loads of MH's fitted with extra fans in the void space at the rear of the fridge, to help "push" the hot air out of the top vent, and thus suck cool air in through the bottom vent.

I fitted one of these dual fan kits to our MH last summer, as we mostly wildacamp or stay on aires without EHU...it works from the 12 volt leisure battery supply, via a thermostatic control.

It has proved to be VERY effective indeed, and draws virtually zero power (as it operates when it's hot/sunny, and thus the solar panels on the roof are replenishing the batteries anyway.

Cost was about 40 euros from memory, on special offer at a french motorhome accessories shop last year.

We've got the big fridge, with separate freezer compartment above; and we can now turn the fridge down to position 3 (out of 5) even in hot (ie 30-plus degree heat) weather , and everything stays very cold, and freezer stays well frozen.

Thus we also use less gas too, as the gas doesn't have to kick in so often.

HIGHLY recommended.

Currently near laval its been really hot just before we left the UK I fitted a 12v fan from an old computer to suck the hot air out connected to the leisure battery via an in line fuse ans small switch. The fridge has been working great on gas its a dometic and running on medium setting. Now getting ready to  watch le tour pass through laval at midday .

In the short term. if you take the plastic air vents off it will let more air in and work a lot better. I am in Hungary at 38/40 degs and while it doesn't look very attractive with them off it certainly helps the fridge work.

I've got mine set at like 25 past and it's freezing away.

Mike

Guest 1footinthegrave

Ours is exactly the same, just returned from southern France, and as usual as the temp rose, so the efficiency of the fridge declines, actually had a conversation with a guy with his new van and he was experiencing the same issue on his first ever trip to warmer climes, seems it can be down to poor initial installation, with the back of the fridge set too far back from the van wall, a void above the fridge holding hot air in.

In addition with our van the fridge was not "room sealed" when we first had it, allowing all manner of draughts into the van, which obviously did not help either.

This time it's definitely a to do job, God knows why I've put up with it for so long, I'm going the PC fan route at the bottom of the fridge fins to blow air over them, and fill the void above. ;-)

P.S if you can feel any panelling above the fridge and it gets warm to the touch, you've probably sussed it as being a similar issue..

For most of the fridges there should be a small void above the fridge rear. AND the top of the vent should be a bit higher than the fridge.

Although Dometic show this on their installation diagrams I have seen many manufacturers ignore the fitting instructions in order to have a deeper cupboard above the fridge or just sheer laziness.

On one 'van I had, which had a poor fridge installation, I put two fans in with a heat sensor. The fans remained on constantly when the fridge was operating. When I got round to rectifying the design with a void above the fridge and the vent in the right place the fans never came on again (and yes they were still working).

We have had the same problem, our Dometic fridge has been running on gas for the last 10 days - we have a solar panel so no need for over-priced electric hook up (€5 per day)- overnight the temp is fine at 2 - 4 degrees on setting 4/5 but in the afternoon it struggles to stay below 10 degrees even on max setting (32 degrees outside).

I presumed that gas would be as or more effective than 230v to run the fridge. Am I wrong ? Are we better to run the fridge on electric hook up ?

There is only one vent on the side of the van for the fridge.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers

The 2012 model of your 'van had only 1 vent for the fridge on the side of the 'van but it would appear that the 2013 model has now got 2.

I wouldn't worry as your "inlet" vent is probably under the 'van - These can get blocked with road muck (might be worth checking) but can be just as effective as a wall mounted 1. They take in cooler air from under the 'van rather than warm air when it is sitting with the vent facing the sun.

As your fridge is under the cooker it leaves little, if any, room for a void above it with a higher outlet vent so going the fan route would probably help.

Fan(s) should be mounted as high as possible to direct air from the top of the heat exchanger fins out through the air vent.

Edited to say: Yes normally with the gas burner working properly and the chimney clean it should be more effective to run on gas than on either 12v or 230v.

Guest JudgeMental

I have had the twin PC motor type and they worked well...eventually fell to bits moving between new vans.

Now as we have no habitation a/c in panel van. the trusty table top fan that keeps us cool in bed doubles up during the day on fridge duty. I just hang it with a bungy of top grill and it blows air through the back from lower grill....works a treat. just need to be careful with sliding door. cheap and cheerful :-D

Thank you, have checked the inlet below the van and it is clear.

If gas is more efficient then no need to pay for electrics, we'll stay as is - saved €50 already !

We'll just shop a bit more frequently to keep meat / dairies for less time in this heat...

One more question: there is a set of cooling fins in the fridge and another inside the removable ice box.

In your - or anyone lese opinion - would removing the ice box and positoning the top shelf higher for meats etc help keep those items cooler and cool the whole fridge down better OR is it better to keep the ice box in and maybe use that to store meats ?

It seems to work fine at keeping ice cubes frozen.

Cheers

drako - 2013-07-13 4:37 PMThank you, have checked the inlet below the van and it is clear.

If gas is more efficient then no need to pay for electrics, we'll stay as is - saved €50 already !

We'll just shop a bit more frequently to keep meat / dairies for less time in this heat...

One more question: there is a set of cooling fins in the fridge and another inside the removable ice box.

In your - or anyone lese opinion - would removing the ice box and positoning the top shelf higher for meats etc help keep those items cooler and cool the whole fridge down better OR is it better to keep the ice box in and maybe use that to store meats ?

It seems to work fine at keeping ice cubes frozen.

Cheers

You say you've got solar panels, so why not just fit a single (or even better, a twin) 12 volt fan to assist behind your fridge at the top, to help vent the warm "exhaust" air to the outside. It's a ten minute job and I reckon all your fridge problems would then be resolved.

For me - I would keep the ice box and I agree with BGD - Fit a fan (or 2) - they use very little of your 12v so no problem. I would however fir a switch so you can turn 'em off at night - they are not particularly noisy but depending on how far away from the fridge you are they can get annoying if they are on a sensor and you hear them switching on and off.

We have had problem with our Dometic run off an underfloor tank and regulator. First noticed in France last September that the fridge was failing to make ice in the usual way. Had a fan fitted but did not resolve the problem and in time the fridge seemed even less effective. The flame burned blue but looked smaller than usual. Turned out the regulator was faulty only allowing 24mb rather than 30mb. New regulator and the fridge was then down to the wanted temperature last weekend at Priddy Folk festival with an ambient temperature of nearly 30c and little shade.Why did the regulator fail? Probably contaminated gas as there were signs of this in the pipes but we will leave it to others debating this on other threads to reach a conclusion.

Archived