Autocruise Accent

Heyloft

Mel B - 2013-07-12 7:22 PM

Mike88 - 2013-07-12 6:19 PM

Another disturbing aspect is that the original poster wants to run his TV while on the move for the benefit of those in the back. Is that legal and are there belted seats?

I can confirm that there are indeed 2 rear travel seats with 3-point belts and there is no illegality at all in the rear passengers watching TV whilst the vehicle is being driven SO LONG AS the driver also doesn't watch it.

:-|

Looking at the layout of the Accent, it would seem that the only practical location for the TV would be above the rear travel seats (intended for viewing from the rotated cab seats, no doubt) which means that anyone wishing to view the TV on the move would need to be able to rival Linda Blair (the Excorsist) or Twizzle in the neck rotating stakes......in essence not possible, irrespective of whether the van is being driven or not.

I'll check the operation of our 12v system a bit later but, although turning the panel on may well be required, I could never really describe this as a chore, or difficult, or a fault, really just something that we do when we arrive on site as part of the set up.

If I I wanted a spare 12v on the move, I would use one of those multi adaptor things from maplin/eBay at a couple of quid and plug it in up front. As mfor having to switch everything on (panel and water pump) prior to a loo stop or arriving on site, how many of us arrive in the middle of the night ? Surely, the vast majority of occasions are in daylight where even my techno averse OH can press a button on a panel.

As part of our set up 'routine' I go outside to turn on the gas and OH checks that all is fine by trying one of the gas hobs. Yes, she has to turn on the panel before the hob ignition will fire up, do I hear her screaming that the end if the world is nigh.......no, she presses the panel button and then gives me the thumbs up when the gas comes on.

We really have to get this into perspective and realise that it's only a button press (or two or three) but its one visit to the panel to turn it all on.

I'd be far more upset that I could only watch the TV if my head could rotate through 180 degrees.

Lets chill, guys, it's a button.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bolero boy - 2013-10-07 8:21 AM

Mel B - 2013-07-12 7:22 PM

Mike88 - 2013-07-12 6:19 PM

Another disturbing aspect is that the original poster wants to run his TV while on the move for the benefit of those in the back. Is that legal and are there belted seats?

I can confirm that there are indeed 2 rear travel seats with 3-point belts and there is no illegality at all in the rear passengers watching TV whilst the vehicle is being driven SO LONG AS the driver also doesn't watch it.

:-|

Looking at the layout of the Accent, it would seem that the only practical location for the TV would be above the rear travel seats (intended for viewing from the rotated cab seats, no doubt) which means that anyone wishing to view the TV on the move would need to be able to rival Linda Blair (the Excorsist) or Twizzle in the neck rotating stakes......in essence not possible, irrespective of whether the van is being driven or not.

I'll check the operation of our 12v system a bit later but, although turning the panel on may well be required, I could never really describe this as a chore, or difficult, or a fault, really just something that we do when we arrive on site as part of the set up.

If I I wanted a spare 12v on the move, I would use one of those multi adaptor things from maplin/eBay at a couple of quid and plug it in up front. As mfor having to switch everything on (panel and water pump) prior to a loo stop or arriving on site, how many of us arrive in the middle of the night ? Surely, the vast majority of occasions are in daylight where even my techno averse OH can press a button on a panel.

As part of our set up 'routine' I go outside to turn on the gas and OH checks that all is fine by trying one of the gas hobs. Yes, she has to turn on the panel before the hob ignition will fire up, do I hear her screaming that the end if the world is nigh.......no, she presses the panel button and then gives me the thumbs up when the gas comes on.

We really have to get this into perspective and realise that it's only a button press (or two or three) but its one visit to the panel to turn it all on.

And no one has mentioned the three buttons for charger, water heater and space heater that need turning on after hooking up, does this take years off our lives.....not really.

I'd be far more upset that I could only watch the TV if my head could rotate through 180 degrees.

Lets chill, guys, it's a button.

bolero boy - 2013-10-07 8:21 AM

It's the 21st century, get yourself a 'Crash Safe' system. ;-)

Thanks for all your relies

All good advice, as pointed out the van has so much going for it, its not enough to warrant going for a different van

I'll do as suggested above, going for the extra battery, solar panel and running a 12 volt supply from one of the batteries

Dealer can't do that sort of work so would it just be a case of taking it to auto electrician to get the battery and solar panel?

Many thanks

We fitted an extra battery and a solar panel on our 2013 Alto, I find the fridge which runs on 12v much easier than our last van which ran on either gas/hookup/or 12v :-S O.H fitted a new switch with a neon amber light just so I can double check the fridge is on at a glance.

All it means is once you stop press the power button on the control panel and the fridge then goes over to the leisure battery side, no messing if off hookup with trying to light the gas. If we have water on board I also put the pump and light switch on at the same time, once that is done the normal light switches are then on for when needed. Its just like anything else you get used to doing things automatically. I have found though if I forget to press the lights button I do need a torch to see where the h=ll it is and I quite like Mels tip about putting something to stick on so I don't end up pressing the whole lot before I find the right one. *-)

We went for 5 nights without a hook-up on the trot which I was impressed with while away in the summer as I didn't stint on using anything except the electric kettle (of course) and we hardly used any gas either using that for hot water and cooking, so all in all including the big savings on fuel as we averaged over 30mpg we are very pleased with our new van. Oh and Mel get a cigarette lighter charger you don't need the reversing camera plugged in all the time :-D I just put ours back in as soon as the phones charged when on the move.

Swaleuk - 2013-10-07 6:13 PM

Thanks for all your relies

All good advice, as pointed out the van has so much going for it, its not enough to warrant going for a different van

I'll do as suggested above, going for the extra battery, solar panel and running a 12 volt supply from one of the batteries

Dealer can't do that sort of work so would it just be a case of taking it to auto electrician to get the battery and solar panel?

Many thanks

Try Dave Newell or Roadpro, both more than able to fit these items and can offer good advice re. suitable solar panels, controllers and batteries. I am guessing from your user name that you may be from Yorkshire, if so I am sure that there will be a competent installer near to you.

maggyd - 2013-10-08 3:56 PM

Oh and Mel get a cigarette lighter charger you don't need the reversing camera plugged in all the time :-D I just put ours back in as soon as the phones charged when on the move.

Not an option Maggy, we always have the sat nave in one socket and the camera in the other as hubby uses it as a 'rear view' camera when on the move, not just when reversing. The daft 'shut off' on the control panel isn't a major issue, just something we'll have to live with, as there's no 'cure' for it. :-S

Archived