Steam cleaners any good???

Pampam

Has anybody tried the new steam cleaner mops on upholstery and carpets etc they seem to be advertising them a for doing all kinds of jobs and I wondered if anybody had given one a go and what they thought ie do they actually clean or just get things hot and kill bacteria thanks pp.

Guest peter

I think they are useless in the home. All the steam does is, immediately turn to water and soak everything. As there is no detergent involved, no cleaning takes place. They're just a gimmick.

Now, if you were talking about the professional steam cleaners used to clean oily engines, that is a different matter. As they produce masses of steam at very high pressure and actually manage to heat up what is being cleaned, but they usually have a diesel powered boiler and cost thousands. Not the few quid that the domestic ones cost.

Reason I ask my daughter is just moving in to an old house wher someone has had three dogs and they haven't been housetrained the house is hacky urgh with stone and wood floors and gawd knows what lurking on them I thought steam might sort em out or not lol pp

Your best bet would be to hire a commercial cleaner. or get someone to come in and clean the floors,. Should be a local company . Look in Yellow pages, of go on line.

As stated the cleaners you buy are useless,(tried one, just a lot of water to clear up.) as you do need some chemical/soap/disinfectant?

PJay

I don't know about the "new" ones; we have a Morphy Richards GrimeBuster that is greta for regular cleaning of our kitchen floor, that's cork tiles, sealed numerous times.

If you are trying to sort a buildup of "neglect " I think getting in the professionals might be best,

Hope you sort it

alan b

Stalwart

Profile PM

I think they are useless in the home. All the steam does is, immediately turn to water and soak everything. As there is no detergent involved, no cleaning takes place. They're just a gimmick

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

Sorry to disagree with you but the steam cleaner that I have is the best thing since sliced bread.

I have used it to clean kitchens, bathrooms, toilets e.t.c and fridges are a must for a steam cleaner but don't get the point too close to the seals as it blows a hole in them with the heat.

Everything ends up sparkling and lovely and clean with no stinky smells from detergents.

my steam cleaner is called a little o Yellow and I brought it off the shopping channel and yes there is a bit of water when you first pull the trigger and if you put it down for a minute or two (just press the trigger in a bucket/sink) but very little after that, I have cleaned my seats and settee in my motorhome and at home as well and it works a treat plus they are dry in no time I give mine five stars.

Mike

Morning all,

We have shark which we got from dunelm. We use it on the lino only and it is good for routine cleaning, we do not get puddles as described by others It cost about sixty quid. I do not think there is quick easy way to clean the floors you describe unless you bring in outside contractors.

norm

WE have an H2 0 Mop cost over a hundred quid it's pretty useless doesn't do most of the things claimed, it's OK for a quick clean of the laminate floors apart from that not much good, too awkward to use on anything other than a floor. A classic example of poor design and good marketing.

My Mum had a gun type of steam cleaner (from Lakeland) and she thought it cleaned her oven brilliantly. Both my Brother and I have borrowed it to try on ours and it wasn't much good for either of our ovens.

When she had her cateracts removed and she saw her 'clean' oven, she put it back in the box and never used it again.

I didn't think it was a lot of use for cleaning the oven, but it might be ok for other stuff, I never tried! I personally don't think there is a substitute for good old soap and water with a bit of elbow grease thrown in :-D

Guest 1footinthegrave
Pampam - 2013-07-12 11:23 PM

Reason I ask my daughter is just moving in to an old house wher someone has had three dogs and they haven't been housetrained the house is hacky urgh with stone and wood floors and gawd knows what lurking on them I thought steam might sort em out or not lol pp

I'd be more inclined to use a fairly strong bleach / water solution, copiously mopped around, as I cannot for the life of me think what steam would achieve, it will still stink surely. As for the people advertising them, of course they do everything they claim, until they end up languishing in a cupboard because they don't more often than not, so your right to ask. ;-)

Have just got back from trying to clean at said daughters and the stench of dog c..p is still in the back of my throat urgh there must have been years of not being cleaned up properly I can honestly say I've never witnessed anything like it have used a gallon of jeyes fluid (exaggerating a bit there)but a full tin anyhow will see what it's like tomorrow am going to have another go thank god for marigolds pp

Guest peter
Bloody hell................she must live in a right sh!thole. Sounds like something you see on grimebusters on the telly.

we just bought a load of gear to clean up new home.

vax carpet cleaner useless went back next day, muck drops out onto carpet, steam flow erratic.

karcher steamer[mid model range with iron attachment] found this excellent for cleaning materials with iron held about 9 inchs away good for curtains, and spot cleaning on chairs etc. also excellent for tiles and floors. [not so good on tough oven burn crusts as they show in vids, but the nozzel with the scrapper bit helps.

karcher window clear good too,

Guest 1footinthegrave
Pampam - 2013-07-17 10:41 PM

Have just got back from trying to clean at said daughters and the stench of dog c..p is still in the back of my throat urgh there must have been years of not being cleaned up properly I can honestly say I've never witnessed anything like it have used a gallon of jeyes fluid (exaggerating a bit there)but a full tin anyhow will see what it's like tomorrow am going to have another go thank god for marigolds pp

In my experience many dog owners simply do not have a sense of smell, my sister used to have two cocker spaniels, as far as I'm aware they did not do their do dos in her house, but her house always stunk of the dogs, particularly their ears that they would rub into the carpets, they eventually expired, but it took quite a while for the smell to disappear, even after professional carpet cleaners had been called after her daughters diplomatically informed her the dog smell was still awful, something she had been blissfully unaware of for years.

I have a Polti which provides steam under great pressure, and I absolutely love it. I never use cleaning solutions any more, but everything comes up clean and sparkling with no sticky residue or smells. I also use the ironing attachment. I think the trick is not to get a cheap one! My sister did just that, but wasted her money, ended up buying a Polti. You need to get used to using it, but now I find I don't need to use it so often as the dirt doesn't build up like it does with cleaning solutions.

Having said all that, it does sound as though your particular problem is beyond ordinary cleaning!

In case you are interested I cleaned the stone floor with neat patio cleaner and bleach I also steamed in between and across the stone with my wallpaper stripper with the plate taken off and it was pretty nifty then used the stiff yard brush wow it's gleaming . It was pretty therapeutic cos then oven cleaned the FUR lined range a nice combination grease and dog hair you had to see it to believe it the oven shelves were black there was half an inch of bacon grease in the grill. Tell me would you ever sell someone your house then leave it a s..t hole for them to clean up?

Guest peter
I hope she got it at a reduced price owing to the dire state of the place. Keep up the good work, it's very therapeutic to see the end result. :D

Pampam - 2013-07-18 10:30 PM

In case you are interested I cleaned the stone floor with neat patio cleaner and bleach I also steamed in between and across the stone with my wallpaper stripper with the plate taken off and it was pretty nifty then used the stiff yard brush wow it's gleaming . It was pretty therapeutic cos then oven cleaned the FUR lined range a nice combination grease and dog hair you had to see it to believe it the oven shelves were black there was half an inch of bacon grease in the grill. Tell me would you ever sell someone your house then leave it a s..t hole for them to clean up?

Some people are disgusting, and to think they will likely do this to another house. Your hard work and elbow grease seems to have got good results - patio cleaner, who would've thought! I guess the stone floor was porous.

Archived