Satellite receiver recommendations please

Mel B

We've decided to take our Multimo portable satellite dish to Ireland for a holiday next month ... well hopefully we'll be able to use it to keep an eye on the weather and news.

We don't at present have a receiver though - we only want something basic and obviously one that can work off 12v or be converted to do so. Not planning on spending a fortune so no HD or record facility is required and preferably not expensive either as if we find it a bit of a pain we might not use it again! *-)

So can anyone recommend one please ... :-D

http://www.sat-shop.co.uk/Digital-Receivers-EagleBox/c46_158/p629/EagleBox-HD-Mini-DVB-S/S2-Digital-Satellite-Receiver/product_info.html

Have a look at these. They are, IMO, much better than any that have yet been recommended. Some of the other receivers shown on their website are also well worth a look. Highly recommended.

They are 12v, with the usual transformer included.

JudgeMental - 2013-07-15 8:57 AM

What have you been using Mel?

Nowt! We've never used it and didn't think we ever would so sold the receiver we had to my ex-boss to go with the large sat dish he bought (to use in Spain). At least we kept the Multimo so once we get a sat receiver we'll be good to go. :-D

If you want an EPG similier to that which you are used to on freeview then get a Bush Freesat HD STB, these have an external transformer and 12v feed to box, IIRC the Freesat Manhatton has the same, else any 12v FTA box will do, I note there are a couple of small ones like you linked too which will take up minimal room. There is one that plugs straight into a scart socket.

Mel,

When you go to Ireland forget the television and listen to their traditional music channel, particularly if you are near Connemara (my 'ol granny came from Clifden) and you don't have to understand Gaelic. If you want some reading whilst there look for "The Way It Was". Its a unique compilation of memories and fact gathered from past Irish families and ways of life. It was often cruel and steeped in traditions that still abound for some. Its a book you will re-read many times I'm sure. We plan to go again next year, away from the tourist parts where life is quiet and simple. "That's us"

PS 'The news' what for? get away from it all, 'The news' is propaganda aimed to make you buy things, and the weather, its always weather.

MT

Thank you for your input Mrs T but we intend on taking the kit to Ireland to give it a go with the intention then of using it on holidays abroad, it would be good to be able to get some TV that we can 'understand' whilst away! I'm not a book reader, more a puzzle book doer!

Archived