the friendly wave????

t.gray

hi when i first bought a motorhome 2 years ago.. almost every van i passed gave the friendly wave....... now tho u would be lucky if anyone gives a friendly wave... is it to much bother for people nowadays?????? :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I noticed this too.  But the best thing to do is wave enthusiastically to everyone and "force" the grumpy-bums to wave!

I once saw a letter in a motohome magazine suggesting that those who wave are dangerous drivers for taking their hand of the steering wheel.

For goodness sake!

Wave!

for what it's worth - have found that italian registered wave enthusiastically anywhere. germans are quite big on it too, defleffs in particular, even when the vehicle is being used to travel to and from work. perhaps it's just that some brits are too reserved, or maybe just miserable old sods. an example of that was on a campsite in belgium recently - plugged in the electric and it didn'twork so checked another socket with no luck. got the screwdriver out and checked the cable which looked fine. a brit was parked on the next pitch so went and politely asked if they were OK. the response - nobody has got electric from that pitch, they move to another. i should add that this person had sat and watched everything we did. i know from previous experience that a foreigner, whether or not they spoke english, would have tried to alert us as we would to them. so carry on waving as the vast majority of motorhome owners whatever their nationality do. cheers

hi guys i do allways wave to any motorhome and will do so from now on... its just that i feel like a prat when i do and fellow motorhomes dont... sorry just thout i would see what everyone else thout bout it all many thanks for the feed back keep it coming

[QUOTE]t.gray - 2006-08-08 1:05 PM
its just that i feel like a prat when i do and fellow motorhomes dont... [/QUOTE]

Don't feel like a prat!... remember, if you wave and they don't, the likelihood is that you're the one having more fun!

[QUOTE]t.gray - 2006-08-08 1:05 PM hi guys i do allways wave to any motorhome and will do so from now on... its just that i feel like a prat when i do and fellow motorhomes dont... sorry just thout i would see what everyone else thout bout it all many thanks for the feed back keep it coming[/QUOTE]

Most do, some don't.  However, that may just be because they are looking elsewhere at the time.  After all, someone has to look at the road ahead some of the time!  I'm sure it isn't personal, just chance.

Guest starspirit
Waving began in the late 60's and early 70's when there were precious few of us on the road and we all needed all the help we could give each other, what with unreliable vans and unwelcoming and restrictive sites. When you met another motor caravanner, either wild or site, camping it often led to an evening spent together yarning away exchanging tales of places to stay or visit and the various mishaps and adventures that had taken place. There was also a tendency to carry lots of spares in those days and I can recall fitting new rear brake slave cylinders to my ancient CF whilst parked at Kyle of Lochalsh (and being eaten by midges whilst so doing!) having had rear brake failure whilst descending from the Pass of the Cattle. I can also recall giving parts away at times and even helping to fit them too! Ah well those were the days, but would I go back? Not to the unreliability, but yes to the era of unbureaucratic and unsanitised adventure and freedom to roam and stop, where no body was interested in stopping me from doing anything 'for my own protection'. C'est la vie.

Guest starspirit
Waving began in the late 60's and early 70's when there were precious few of us on the road and we all needed all the help we could give each other, what with unreliable vans and unwelcoming and restrictive sites. When you met another motor caravanner, either wild or site, camping it often led to an evening spent together yarning away exchanging tales of places to stay or visit and the various mishaps and adventures that had taken place. There was also a tendency to carry lots of spares in those days and I can recall fitting new rear brake slave cylinders to my ancient CF whilst parked at Kyle of Lochalsh (and being eaten by midges whilst so doing!) having had rear brake failure whilst descending from the Pass of the Cattle. I can also recall giving parts away at times and even helping to fit them too! Ah well those were the days, but would I go back? Not to the unreliability, but yes to the era of unbureaucratic and unsanitised adventure and freedom to roam and stop, where no body was interested in stopping me from doing anything 'for my own protection'. C'est la vie.

We usually wave to ther motorhomes and often get a reciprocal wave. sometimes I don't spot the other motorhome because I'm driving and paying attention to the twonk who's just dived in front of me and slammed his brakes on, sometimes I don't spot them because I'm listening to the navigator. We get as many waves back from Hymer owners as any other type of motorhome. We do however rarely get waves back from VW campers or RVs. biggest problem we have is after a weekend away, waving ourselves silly at all the motorhomes we then carry on waving at them from our everyday transport (wife's; Fiat Brava, Mine; Bedford Rascal van) for a few days. We do get some strange looks when we're not in our motorhome. D.

I have found that in general coachbuilts wave but not many wave in campervans and high tops, I think it could be like for like. One thing I have found is waving across the lanes of motorways, and I do think that is a little over the top, particulary at the speeds on them roads. A wave is a nice gesture though, reminds me of the salute from the AA man on his motorbike of past years, today some of the gestures from overstressed car drivers we could all do without, perhaps some of them watch Mr Clarkson on the box . chas

[QUOTE]Dave Newell - 2006-08-08 2:49 PM W

.....We do however rarely get waves back from VW campers ....
....biggest problem we have is after a weekend away, waving ourselves silly at all the motorhomes we then carry on waving at them from our everyday transport (wife's; Fiat Brava, Mine; Bedford Rascal van) for a few days. We do get some strange looks when we're not in our motorhome....[/QUOTE]

That happens to me too!  I instinctively wave to motorhomes from the car and even walking along the footpath.  I put it down to an irresistable desire to get straight back in the van and take off on another adventure!

Oh, and we own a VW campervan and will always wave back with a smile!

Maybe MMM magazine could produce and give away free of charge for a few pounds an automatic plastic waving hand on a spring like their site reservation sign. We could stick it in the side window and then concentrate on driving. How about it, the Queen might buy one.

We once got a wave from an Ambulance ... and we HADN'T waved at it first!!! I did used to have one of the Mickey Mouse hands that you wear like a puppet and I used to wave like mad with that ... until my husband purposely 'misplaced' it! It's not always obvious if someone has waved back or not, especially if the light is reflecting off their windscreen. Sometimes it's just not safe to do so and sometimes if your concentrating on road signs etc looking for your turning you don't even notice them going by until it's too late. I must admit, however that sometimes I haven't waved, if we've been on a long journey and are tired especially if we've been waving for the last 6 hours, then it does get a hard to find the strength to lift your arm again and again when all you want to do is curl up and go to sleep. As for camper vans, I normally wave at them (they're not always that easy to spot from a normal van) but more than not I don't get a wave back.

[QUOTE]Mike Chapman - 2006-08-09 1:50 PM I think we would pass up the friendly wave if everyone was friendly when on site (ie. More than just an occasional Good Morning). How many of you wave to Car and Caravan outfits as well and have any waved back?[/QUOTE]

Funny that.  It's just what we find. Everyone waves while in transit, then ignores you while on site!  Oh, until you show signs of leaving, that is. 

If you do persevere, breaking the ice and speaking to people, most are civil enough, and many quite friendly.  However, in response to your initial smile, most drop their eyes or merely give a stern nod and look quickly away.  Why?  What is it with the British?  Are we all afraid of each other?

My experience on site is so very different.  I often have a question to put to our neighbours like some recent "do solar panels really work" or "I am interested in your type of awning" questions and usually can not get away for an hour or more.  Camping in this country seems, more often than not to involve TV and I have discovered that if you want to chat or start a conversation you have to pick your moments.

It's funny, but I read a recent magazine letter written by a Brit touring in Australia that said that unlike the British, the Australians would not engage on site. Yet my experience in Australia was again quite the contrary. 

We're probably all aware that the world is becoming less personal, less friendly and less helpful.  But I don't think that people want to be like that.  With the advent of reality TV, the immediacy of (horrific) news stories and greater awareness of the badness around us, perhaps our shells are becoming a little harder to crack?

We just need to smile a little bigger and persevere.

Guest starspirit
I agree with Brian and Mike but the last time I said so on here on a different thread I got a load of abuse back as being unsociable! I still agree with Brian and Mike! See Brian - I don't always disagree with you!

Archived