Chausson Flash 04 Door

whatsupdoc

We bought our Flash 04 new three months ago and have had problems with the door closing properly.

The door is markedly bowed when open (1cm outwards at the centre) and Lowdhams (where we bought it) say that it is manufactured this way to ensure a tight fit when closed.

They say that when properly closed the door should be flush at the centre, but will still bow by 1cm - inwards at the top and bottom.

Has anyone had any experience of this?

When we looked at a several Ford-based Flash models at a French motorhome dealership, it was evident that few of the doors (habitation and locker) fitted well. That's not to say that all Flash models have ill-fitting doors, but it's certainly not a good omen.

Obviously, if a door bows noticeably inwards at the centre, it won't seal tightly when closed. But a door that bows noticeably outwards at the centre will need a helluva slam to shut.

I suggest you look at other Flash models. If all their doors bow outwards by 1cm, then Lowdham's explanation might be plausible. If they don't, then you'll know that your Flash has a duff door. There's no good reason why a motorhome door cannot be made flat and fitted so that it seals tightly when closed.

I bought a new Swift from Lowdhams in 2008. The habitation door started to bow, Lowdhams tried to convince me there was nothing wrong with it. I contacted Swift directly and they replaced the door. Been good ever since.

We were told same by discover when we bought ours new in 09 we accepted the explanation as it made perfect sense. To date we have had no problem, I wouldn't worry about it.

PS

Don't even think about looking on the roof when its hot :-D

From experience it is not uncommon for converters to pre-bow doors that has a single, central locking point, for exactly the reasons described.

You don't outline in your post, however, whether it is simply this bowing that is the problem or if (which might be implied) there is another problem. (difficult to close, gaps when closed, etc.).

There is usually an element of adjustment in the striking plate that can be used to either tighten or loosen the closure, and this should be used to give optimum results.

There may also be some adjustment in the locking points themselves, which may be required to reduce interference with the striking plate, and ease closure.

Line One of original posting - "...and have had problems with the door closing properly".

A door's slight outwards bow (say a couple of millimetres) might be acceptable, but 10 millimetres of bowing is excessive and, I suggest, the consequences will be inevitable.

Derek Uzzell - 2013-07-19 4:42 PM

Line One of original posting - "...and have had problems with the door closing properly".

A door's slight outwards bow (say a couple of millimetres) might be acceptable, but 10 millimetres of bowing is excessive and, I suggest, the consequences will be inevitable.

...yes, thanks for correcting my reply made somewhat in haste, Derek. ;-)

What I meant to draw out was what the OP meant by "not closing properly". Is it difficult to close, does it close easily but leave a gap, etc. (and where)?

In my experience, a bow is quite often deliberate (to counteract any ageing effects which may cause flexing in the other direction). and one of 10mm is not (IME) at all uncommon, depending on the design and flexibility of the specific door.

Adjustment of the latch and striker plate can often make a significant difference in use (and it is not unknown, as in any motor vehicle) for the two to be delivered out of alignment.

Before following up further, I would be inclined to investigate the current alignment, and any inherent adjustment that is available.

When we had our Chausson Flash 04 (2010) the door wasn't bowed that I can recall, we did have a replacement put on but that was because the paint had started to bubble at the bottom and rather than it being re-sprayed (which we would have been happy with) Chausson insisted on replacing it instead and the new one didn't have a bow in it ... unfortunately the colour match wasn't very good though! :-S

Many thanks for all the comments.

The door is difficult to close, and the outward bowing at the centre means that there is a gap between the rubber of the door and that of the frame at the centre on the inside.

Of course Lowdhams want to pursue what will be easiest for them, and they claim adjustment is possible and are "confident" it will cure the problem, but that the door will still bow by 10mm, and that this is the way it is designed in order that it fits properly ... Problem is it's a 400 mile round trip.

They showed me what Chausson wrote to them, confiorming the intentional bow design of the door, but Chausson were certianly not as confident as Lowdhams that the door could be corrected.

I've since emailed Chausson (last Friday) asking for clarification, but am still awaiting a reply ...

I have a Chausson Flash 04 and my door is the same, when you close the door push hard by the handle until it shuts on to the second catch then your door will be shut. If it is still bowing at the centre adjust the slamming plate. hope this will help. :-)

Archived