More Good News to Astound the Doom and Gloom merchants.

Guest Had Enough

Guest Had Enough

In Europe, car sales are at a 17 year low. However, in June the sales of new cars in the UK was up 24% on the previous year. 18% of that increase was from cars made here in Britain.

But even more impressive is car and engine manufacturing. Car manufacturing rose by over ten percent in June with four out of every five cars exported. Similar growth was recorded in engine manufacturing with the majority exported.

Total production of cars was 131,000. against 119,000 last year.

And of course for every car made in a British factory, the number of jobs in the local economy and other smaller companies supplying parts and services is far greater than the number of workers in the car plant itself.

Perhaps the UK isn't the basket case just about to slip into bankruptcy that some would have us believe?

As most people know - I am a Land Rover nut - and was wary of the take over by TATA.

Delighted that my fears proved unfounded - Tata have been the breath of fresh air and investment that Land Rover/Jaguar needed.

Quality and reliability has much improved with the investment Tata have put in.

It just goes to show where the financial power now lies. - It is no longer only with the likes of Germany and the US - what were once called the emerging markets are not so much emerging - but becoming well established.

Good news for us.

CliveH - 2013-07-19 2:30 PM

It just goes to show where the financial power now lies. - It is no longer only with the likes of Germany and the US - what were once called the emerging markets are not so much emerging - but becoming well established.

I too believe that we have a better future allied to the likes of India that with the likes of Germany or the USA - that is until India gets so powerful that self interest consumes all else as with the USA and China - and I suspect it would with Germany too were it not for the EU.

Just like the UK used to be when we had an Empire. Prosperity may revolve but it's effects never change!

Guest Peter James
Had Enough - 2013-07-19 11:51 AM

But even more impressive is car and engine manufacturing. Car manufacturing rose by over ten percent in June with four out of every five cars exported. Similar growth was recorded in engine manufacturing with the majority exported.

And of course for every car made in a British factory, the number of jobs in the local economy and other smaller companies supplying parts and services is far greater than the number of workers in the car plant itself.

Yet we were told It wasn’t the lack of investment or competent management that ruined the British Rover cars. It was the British worker (who incidentally is now a resounding success under the Japanese management of Toyota and Nissan.) In particular the blame lies with trade union leaders like ‘Red Robbo’ who was fired 17 years before Rover ran out of money after paying £40 million in directors bonuses. *-)

Guest Peter James
Had Enough - 2013-07-19 11:51 AM Perhaps the UK isn't the basket case just about to slip into bankruptcy that some would have us believe?

Don't count on it. All the 'funding for lending' money that has been stolen from Savers and Taxpayers through inflation and negative real interest rates is being thrown into sub prime mortgafges to pump up house prices.

Lending to Business fell again last quarter.

Guest pelmetman

Its official ;-)...................the world will end in a billion years 8-)..........

Repent you sinners whilst you still can :-S

Guest Had Enough
Peter James - 2013-07-19 6:36 PM

Yet we were told It wasn’t the lack of investment or competent management that ruined the British Rover cars. It was the British worker (who incidentally is now a resounding success under the Japanese management of Toyota and Nissan.) In particular the blame lies with trade union leaders like ‘Red Robbo’ who was fired 17 years before Rover ran out of money after paying £40 million in directors bonuses. *-)

It wasn't the British worker. It was the communist dominated unions that they belonged to! Thatcher tamed the unions, communism was finally shown to be evil and oppressive and, more importantly for the workers, incapable of delivering a standard of living anywhere near that offered in the western democracies. As a consequence of this the unions lost power as even their own members saw through their ultimate objectives - the downfall of free enterprise in Britain. Workers are now much more sensible and less inclined to be led astray by Trotskyist rabble-rousers.

Anyway, talking of Trotskyist rabble rousers, Red Robbo was as you say, sacked. He was so dearly loved by his men that a ballot was held to organise a strike to protest against his sacking. 600 voted for the strike and 14,000 voted against!

I suspect that even his own comrades had had enough of him! He was even less successful in his political ambitions. He stood for Northfield in Birmingham four times (as a communist, naturally) and on each occasion lost his deposit with less than one percent of the votes.

A great man was our Derek! (lol) (lol) (lol)

Guest Had Enough
pelmetman - 2013-07-19 6:48 PM

Its official ;-)...................the world will end in a billion years 8-)..........

Repent you sinners whilst you still can :-S

It had better not. It's already over four billion years old so I hope it will go on for as long again!

Guest Had Enough
Tracker - 2013-07-19 2:49 PM

CliveH - 2013-07-19 2:30 PM

I too believe that we have a better future allied to the likes of India that with the likes of Germany or the USA - that is until India gets so powerful that self interest consumes all else as with the USA and China - and I suspect it would with Germany too were it not for the EU.

Just like the UK used to be when we had an Empire. Prosperity may revolve but it's effects never change!

I love how people constantly whinge about the US having self interest, or making decisions that benefit itself. I thought that that is what governments were supposed to do? I want my government to think about the UK's self interest as well.

Unlike China or Russia though, the US and Britain are the first to offer help and humanitarian aid in disasters and in resolving conflicts around the world.

Sadly, the world needs a policeman occasionally. Which superpower would you choose?

Had Enough - 2013-07-19 7:37 PM

I love how people constantly whinge about the US having self interest, or making decisions that benefit itself. I thought that that is what governments were supposed to do? I want my government to think about the UK's self interest as well.

So glad you like it as you don't seem to like very much else!

So if anyone else makes a comment it's a whinge but when you moan, and heaven knows you do enough of it, if it isn't a whinge what is it?

I too would prefer that successive governments worked harder in my country's interest - particularly with EU negotiations and treaties.

And before I forget - (lol) (lol)

Guest Had Enough
Tracker - 2013-07-19 7:46 PM

Had Enough - 2013-07-19 7:37 PM

So glad you like it as you don't seem to like very much else!

So if anyone else makes a comment it's a whinge but when you moan, and heaven knows you do enough of it, if it isn't a whinge what is it?

I too would prefer that successive governments worked harder in my country's interest - particularly with EU negotiations and treaties.

And before I forget - (lol) (lol)

Actually, I wasn't particularly having a go at you but it does seem to be a feature of any criticism of the US. The Yanks always think about themselves, the Yanks only do it in their own interest. Well, good for them!

And I like lots of things! Life, my wife and family, motorhoming, the Royal family, free enterprise, walking, cycling, my home , my business, my many friends and my entire lifestyle!

I just don't like miserable gits who come on here just for the purpose of constantly hammering us with their own brand of single-issue fanaticism!

You may notice that this thread celebrates good news. But along comes the usual suspect to try to pour cold water on it! And why are they often Scottish? Is it the climate? Do they hate us for conquering them all those centuries ago?

Had Enough - 2013-07-19 7:57 PM

I just don't like miserable gits who come on here just for the purpose of constantly hammering us with their own brand of single-issue fanaticism!

You may notice that this thread celebrates good news. But along comes the usual suspect to try to pour cold water on it! And why are they often Scottish? Is it the climate? Do they hate us for conquering them all those centuries ago?

I didn't take it as a go at me and I don't mind anyone having a go at me just as long as they understand that I will always have a go back!

Delighted that you do have a sense of humour and hope to see more of it!

As for the Jocks - well if you lived in a country where it always rains and when it ain't rainig the bloody midges eat you alive I guess you would be cantankerous too!

Best not to remind them of the conquests as it only makes 'em feel even more inadequate and teasy!

In Europe, car sales are at a 17 year low. However, in June the sales of new cars in the UK was up 24% on the previous year. 18% of that increase was from cars made here in Britain.

Perhaps the UK isn't the basket case just about to slip into bankruptcy that some would have us believe?

It's not just the car manufacturers, dispite what many claim there is still quite a bit of manufacturing going on in the UK. It does make me fume when people say "we don't make anything anymore"

Tracker - 2013-07-19 8:05 PM

Had Enough - 2013-07-19 7:57 PM

I didn't take it as a go at me and I don't mind anyone having a go at me just as long as they understand that I will always have a go back!

Delighted that you do have a sense of humour and hope to see more of it!

As for the Jocks - well if you lived in a country where it always rains and when it ain't rainig the bloody midges eat you alive I guess you would be cantankerous too!

Best not to remind them of the conquests as it only makes 'em feel even more inadequate and teasy!

I never said a word. After all if you English did not have us Scots to whinge about you would need to find another bunch, so we have saved you the effort.

However, as for the good news, i am always pleased to hear it but I think I will hold back the celebrations until I see it being replicated in the streets and towns with people's lives actually getting better. Unfortunately it was a Scot, G Brown, who managed to fiddle the books to show good times when in fact , they were not, so a little cynicism is probably not unjustified. As for rain, it has been dry for over 2 weeks now so there. and midges only like wet. But I fully agree, it is not my preferred destination for vacations as I like to be sure of sun and heat. However others love it.

As for conquests Hmmmm! Do you want your Wembley turf back?

Archived