cambelt advice

rapidoman

My rapido is 5 years old and done 14000 miles. On a recent service I was told that the cam belt needed changing at 5 years at a cost of approx. £300.00. It is a fiat 2.3 engine can anyone please give advice if it is necessary or not. Is the garage saying this because the book says so, as normal vehicles would surely have done 3 or 4 times this mileage at 5 years old. Cost is not the main issue but don't want to feel I am paying needlessly (!)

Guest pelmetman
Our vans done nearly 70k 8-)..............but I've replaced the belt 3 times in the last 23 years.............last time 2010 and I have a sticker to prove it :D........

Guest Peter James

Isn't rapido 9048df an 'A' class, making access to the cambelt even more difficult?

In which case I doubt if you will find a better deal than £300 for a proper job.

Possibly worth changing the water pump at the same time as they have been known to fail following the fitting of a new belt.

Maybe it is something to do with the increased tension on part worn pump bearing - who knows - but the cost of changing the water pump if it later fails will also make your eyes water.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Someone may have more knowledge than me, but I was told some Ducato engines have plastic type tension pulleys that can give up before the belt, so if it was me I'd enquire if they will be changing those as well, my bloke who did my 2.8 jtd said my engine had steel pulleys, but non the less advised that thye should be changed. ;-)

Why is it I cannot get the picture out of my head of an elastic band doing such a crucial job. :-S

Tracker is correct about the water pump, but again this seems engine dependant, my cambelt does not drive the water pump ( I'm told )

Archived