Black & Brown spots

I have some black and brown spots on the GRP bodywork of my MH and have had some success using Autoglym Tar etc Remover. But some won't budge. I can loosen some with my finger nail (I know that's not a great idea but it shows that they are removable) and then the Autoglym removes the rest...........sometimes!

Anyone have a better infallible suggestion?

If it is tar based, I use WD40 sprayed onto a cloth then placed against the spot for a few seconds and then wipe away with said cloth. Don't forget to polish after not that WD40 does anything but road dirt is attracted to the WD40 residue and looks quite dirty.

Bas

WhiteCheyenneMan -black and brown spots on the GRP bodywork of my MH and have had some success using Autoglym Tar etc Remover. But some won't budge. I can loosen some with my finger nail

This sounds familiar.. .Are they definitely from the road or could they be spider poo?

Hughmer - 2013-07-21 3:43 PM
WhiteCheyenneMan -black and brown spots on the GRP bodywork of my MH and have had some success using Autoglym Tar etc Remover. But some won't budge. I can loosen some with my finger nail
This sounds familiar.. .Are they definitely from the road or could they be spider poo?

Some are tar and some are probably fly and spider poo. But, can the ones that I can't budge be any of those? I don't know, they all look alike, but some come off and some don't. Someone has suggested that it's because I only use a wash and wax shampoo, when I should wax polish it regularly and then these spots won't stick so well. Maybe, but the area to polish is half a football pitch 8-)

Basil - 2013-07-20 8:55 PM

If it is tar based, I use WD40 sprayed onto a cloth then placed against the spot for a few seconds and then wipe away with said cloth. Don't forget to polish after not that WD40 does anything but road dirt is attracted to the WD40 residue and looks quite dirty.

Bas

Thanks for the WD40 tip. It must be this warm weather but I had quite a few tar spots (mainly on the drivers side) on the start of the coachbuilt body just behind the cab doors.

We're beginning to get somewhere, it's a team effort. The Autoglym Tar etc Remover has turned some to powder overnight and today. Many are now dissolving under water and washing up liquid. It's going to take a few more days of soaking and wiping, followed by a good polish methinks  ;-)

I should start by saying that I did wash to MH first and then discovered that these spots remained. The Autoglym was very disappointing, even on what was clearly fly/spider poo.

The key issue is that we had only wash/waxed previously and never did a full scale polish. So these deposits stuck well and hardened. It's doubtful that the Autoglym did much at all although a few spots did succumb, in part, to repeated applications.

The solution? A very strong solution of bio-washing up liquid and water applied with a dish washing sponge and occasionally a light rub with the rough side of the sponge.

Next job a thorough shampoo followed by a resin wax, applied by electric polisher, but first, the thunderstorms

I found some mysterious brown spots on my car..... eventualy discovered that the wooden fence by where I park my car at work had ben painted with shed & fence paint - even though it was water based it was a swime to remove.

Bug and tar remover is ok but WD40 shifts most things better

Guest Peter James

I keep a bit of petrol for cleaning - shifts some stuff, like tar, that nothing else seems to.

As a last resort cutting compound (like T cut but coarser) should shift it because it scours a thin layer of paint off.

Archived