Gazebos and Awnings

Guest Bill

I have recently had a flyer from Robert Dyas offering a "Marquee" Gazebo - i.e. one with sides for £70, which is about one fifth of the price of the cheapest awnings. Presumably there is a catch, or nobody would buy the awnings. What is it?

Guest PeteC
We have a variety Awning - Store tent (bike shed) - Frame tent and Gazebo Frame tent is several years old (Son still has a ridge tent) Awning we use if we are planning to stay for a few days (7 to 28) on one site Store tent if we plan to move on after 2 days or so Gazebo we only use in the garden - Suppose it would be OK for extra living space for a weekend, But they will not stand a strong wind and ours leaks in a heavy shower The Awning & Bike shed have both withstood heavy rain (the bike shed - snow 1ft overnight in Italy; when many awnings collapsed)and up to storm force winds They give you more living space and if you are in the sun a welcome shade and a bit more privacy Get a drive away & you can leave stuff in ti when you go out

I bought a garden gazebo for £39 from Morrisons supermarket and it came with four sides. I made up an alternative side with a mesh "window" in. It's about 3m square and gives valuable shade during the summer and privacy, though we tend to only use a couple of the sides. Disadvantages: rain (not waterproof) and strong wind (somewhat flimsy). Advantages: It only takes 10-15 mins to put up, weighes relatively little, good value for the dozen or so times we use it each year.

Archived