Getaway in October,suggestions ?

Fitz

Not sure if this is in the right place of the forum but here goes. I have the fortunate chance to take 5 weeks off work which will include the whole of October. We would like to go away in the motorhome and all previous trips abroad have been to France, a country we love.

We do like the warmer weather but I don't think France will be warm enough so are looking at travelling further, maybe to Spain. Are there any members who can recommend a location in Spain which is not too difficult to get to and where the weather will be reasonably warm.

Bit of a curve ball but have you concidered Greece? I have been a few times to Corfu in October and it can be lovely. Mid twenties and sunny with the odd wet day.

You can get the overnight ferry from a few places in Italy with Venice being the nearest so maybe you could combine it with a few days there first.

I only mention it as its a trip I have had planned in my head for a while.

Anywhere on the Med coast of Spain will still be very warm indeed (compared to the UK or France) in October...particularly because the Med sea takes a long time to warm up through spring/summer, but then also a long time to cool down late summer/autumn.

If it was me, I'd avoid north coast of Spain and aim to thrash straight down quickly to anywhere along the Med (right hand) coast of Spain, south of (say) Barcelona....then pootle around from there southwards as the mood takes you.

You can sometimes get "gota frias" in October on the Costa Blanca Med coast (roughly Valencia down towards Murcia).......MASSIVE thunderstorms with absolutely jaw-droppingly torrential rain for a few hours, as warm moisture laden air coming off the sea gets pushed upwards across the mountains just inland.

VERY spectacular; and it is then that you realise why there are so many "dry river beds" running down from those coastal mountains to the sea. Once or twice a year they are transformed into massive raging torrents.

But this sort of weather is very rare indeed, and only lasts for a day or two even if it does happen.

Mostly on the Costa Blanca coastal region (and inland as far as the mountains), it's still wall-to-wall sunshine and mid-to-high 20's in the shade; and the sea is still swim-able.

What is very good about the Costa Blanca region at that time of year is that the manic summer tourist season is over, so roads are almost deserted, pace of life has slowed, campsite and aire prices come back down, bar and restaurant prices come back down; and peace is being restored to the region.

If you are a campsite sort of person, then using the ACSI discount card at member-sites in Spain can save you a lot of dosh.

But if you are on a tight budget, remember that overnight parking is legal in Spain (except right alongside beaches, and in national parks) on any roadside, so long as you only park the MH overnight (ie you don't get your awning and chairs etc out; you only park up then sleep in vehicle).

There are quiet roadside spots in/around the suburbs/edges of any Spanish town or village where you can just park up for the night....not as pretty as a campsite, but free.

Hi, last year we enjoyed a lovely two weeks travelling down and exploring the Amalfi Coast line. Weather was fine in October, but there are some restrictions on motorhomes accessing the true coastal roads.

cheers

Greg

A word of warning with Italy, we were there last year in September and were struggling even then to find campsites open, they were all closing for the year including a lot of the other accomodation as far as we could see, it was crazy as the weather was lovely. We only got as far as Orbotello before we gave up and went back to Switzerland. I checked in the ACSI book and sure enough further south as well they were all either shutting or shut. We did try asking on a few non ACSI campsites but their prices were all starting at €20 and going upwards plus the fuel prices are really high.

Archived