Sleeping at Folkestone Eurotunnel overnight

Knaus

As far as I am aware you cannot overnight in the car park at the Folkestone end of the tunnel.

Depending on where you are coming from you could overnight at Marine Drive in Dover, about 8 miles east of Folkestone. This is on street parking, it’s quiet and there’s no charge. We have used it on several occasions.

Alternatively, if approaching the tunnel using the M20 then this website for the Stop24 Services, http://www.motorwayservices.info/stop24_services_folkestone_m20 shows a £5 charge to park for 24 hours. You would have to check with operator if this allows you to sleep in your ’van. These services are a few miles west of the terminal.

A third choice could be to go through the tunnel and overnight at Cité Europe in France but this would mean changing your train time.

Hope this helps.

Cattwg :-D

Guest pelmetman
There's a nice pub type CL just of the exit before the tunnel..................can't remember the name unfortunately :-S...............its the exit that you take for the services except you turn left instead of right ;-)................

Guest Had Enough

You may have already booked your tickets, in which case this advice is too late, but you may consider it for future trips.

We find it much better to do it the other way round. Travel to Calais in the evening and and stay on the French side where there's much more choice of overnight halts.

Cité Europe, various aires or the yacht harbour at Calais are amongst your choices, and you don't need to worry about setting an alarm in the morning!

Normal procedure at the Folkestone tunnel entrance is that you cannot enter the site more than 2 hours before your scheduled departure. We were allowed in about two-and-a-half hours early once, but they're fairly strict. They will often offer an earlier train without extra charge.

Mike

Archiesgrandad - 2013-07-21 2:25 PM

Our experience is that if you arrive too early they will turn you away, but you can get 30 or 40 mins shuteye in the big carpark if you time it right. Remember to set an alarm clock or you'll miss you train, which they do not find amusing.

AGD

Take exit 11 from the m20 and follow signs to hythe at bottom of London road bear left at lights and follow one way and as soon as road becomes two way again then take next on right ( stade street) and follow to the seafront and park anywhere along sea wall stay as long as you wish and when you set off again its 10/12 mins to junction 11a hope this helps.

My recollection was that it was uncontrolled access to the car park at the retail units where many were parked up awaiting their slot. I can understand time restrictions within the embarcation area however when I went early, having been identified automatically at the entrance, I was given options on the log-in terminal screen to depart earlier without additional charge which I assume could have been one of many options ie come back, pay an additional ??, however this is supposition.

You could go early and see what happens and as suggested park up at Cite Europe or just sit in the retail outlet car park.

rudders - 2013-07-21 7:27 PM

Our experience is that if you arrive too early they will turn you away, but you can get 30 or 40 mins shuteye in the big carpark if you time it right. Remember to set an alarm clock or you'll miss you train, which they do not find amusing.

AGD

Take exit 11 from the m20 and follow signs to hythe at bottom of London road bear left at lights and follow one way and as soon as road becomes two way again then take next on right ( stade street) and follow to the seafront and park anywhere along sea wall stay as long as you wish and when you set off again its 10/12 mins to junction 11a hope this helps.

Hi Rudders, is below the right place?

1319394745_Hythe2jpg.jpg.0db1baff18343c2b58c452d1fa7f8d09.jpg

267723898_Hythe1jpg.thumb.jpg.93f9f02b27aca68b69c55fb4dab108bb.jpg

Guest 1footinthegrave
Cattwg - 2013-07-21 6:00 PM

As far as I am aware you cannot overnight in the car park at the Folkestone end of the tunnel.

Depending on where you are coming from you could overnight at Marine Drive in Dover, about 8 miles east of Folkestone. This is on street parking, it’s quiet and there’s no charge. We have used it on several occasions.

Alternatively, if approaching the tunnel using the M20 then this website for the Stop24 Services, http://www.motorwayservices.info/stop24_services_folkestone_m20 shows a £5 charge to park for 24 hours. You would have to check with operator if this allows you to sleep in your ’van. These services are a few miles west of the terminal.

A third choice could be to go through the tunnel and overnight at Cité Europe in France but this would mean changing your train time.

Hope this helps.

Cattwg :-D

I think you'll find Stop 24 the charge is £20 for motorhomes to overnight, mmmmm, :-(

Mel B - 2013-07-21 11:35 PM

rudders - 2013-07-21 7:27 PM

AGD

Hi Rudders, is below the right place?

Yes mel, lots of motorhomers overnight along west parade, there is a fish restaurant on the corner, which has public toilets underneath it, which I think is open 24 hrs! a pub( the hope) in stade street, there is even a family that often come down to fish on the beach and stay for a week or weekend, they even drop the legs on the caravan whilst they are there ,hope this helps mel, but don't tell everyone hee hee. regards rudders.

Guest 1footinthegrave
And we wonder why more and more councils are putting up no motorhome signs with morons like that, just happy that I'm not a resident on that particular sea front, I mean come on, at least be discreet where you overnight. >:-(

New Dover Road P&R at Canterbury. £2.50 with water/waste disposal and you can even take as many as 6 people into the city on the bus.

Endless threads on here about more councils providing proper aire type facilities. Well this is one - a good one at that - but I have said before the two main issues thwarting attempts to establish such facilities is a) local politics (which has not stopped this one) and b) motorhomer apathy.

From the above comments there are many, it would seem, that would rather seek out 'free places' rather than well placed facilities.

David

Guest 1footinthegrave
Just to echo above, last time we used it I was under the impression the barriers to go in close at a certain time, although you can get out at any time, does anyone know as we intend to use it again in a few weeks.

1footinthegrave - 2013-07-22 5:31 PM

Just to echo above, last time we used it I was under the impression the barriers to go in close at a certain time, although you can get out at any time, does anyone know as we intend to use it again in a few weeks.

https://www.canterbury.gov.uk/parkandride

(Info under the "Services" heading)

Entry up to 20:30 at night on all days (with the exception of Sunday, when there is no entry); exit at any time (subject to you having a valid ticket).

Guest 1footinthegrave
Robinhood - 2013-07-22 5:45 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-07-22 5:31 PM

https://www.canterbury.gov.uk/parkandride

(Info under the "Services" heading)

Entry up to 20:30 at night on all days (with the exception of Sunday, when there is no entry); exit at any time (subject to you having a valid ticket).

Thanks for that. ;-)

Archived