How best to get Channel 5 via satellite?

Could Forum Members tell me the simplest/cheapest way to watch Channel 5 via satellite?

Tried to tune into The Ashes evening summaries and realised it was not available on FTA Astra 2 transmissions.

I've got an Oyster dish and auto tune and I usually watch Astra 2 programmes.

Further research (King of Sat site) shows that Channel 5 is only available on Freesat and Sky.

As I don't want to get involved in the Sky subscription 'maze', is the cheapest way to buy a low cost freesat box?

Thanks

Thanks Bolaro Boy - isn't you Tube wonderful for this type of technical issue (lol)

I'll have a go at adding the transponder to my list shortly.

Motorhome is currently parked up at home and the neighbour's house blocks the Astra 2 satellite.

Off to the Adria AGM rally this weekend so will have a go before the evening BBQ starts.

Cheers

I've just been out and double checked my Oyster yes Channel 5 is there.

When was the last time you updated your firmware? If it was more than a couple years ago that will be the reason.

The Oyster box has the channels for each satellite pre-programmed in, when addition channels come on line you have to wait for a firmware update from Ten-Hafft and then download and install it.

The way UK FTA Satellite TV is broadcast is changing......

SES/Astra are replacing the existing Satellites with 3 new ones,

the first of which (Astra 2F) has already been launched and is

now in Service. Some channels, including the Channel 5 'Family',

have already been moved to to Astra 2 F. The signal is much

reduced and has led to these channels not being received on

existing satellite dishes below the Montpellier/ Toulouse line.

The Next Satellite 2E will be launched in July and should come

into service in September.

At this point all the rest of the UK FTA Channels will be moved and,

if you have already lost C5, you will then lose the rest of the Channels.

JamesFrance - 2013-07-23 8:39 PM

We used to get Ch5 here in France via Sky digibox, but since it moved satellites the signal is now too weak. The other UK channels will be the same in about 2 months so we will either need an enormous dish or use the internet.

I can get Ch5 in Balma using a 60cm dish with an Alden satellite system..

We got all channels in Barcelona using a freestanding 80cm dish with a comag receiver in May this year.

. its funny how different systems can or cannot get certain channels.

lennyhb - 2013-07-24 11:25 AM

The OP is talking about an Oyster system, which in normal use relies on the channels being programmed into the firmware, see my earlier post.

Yes I agree, all receivers need a regular update channel scan.

Thanks Lenny

Yes I have an Oyster Samy Solar Plus system and Ten Haaft have just issued a firmware update on 2nd July for our model and for the Vision as well I think.

I've downloaded the update files to an SD card but as yet cannot get the controller to read the SD card. Awaiting a call from the Oyster techie tomorrow to resolve the issue.

Worth having a look at the Oyster site to check if your kit needs a firmware update.

At my age a firmware update would be a good idea as well (so says the navigator). (lol)

Hopwever, adding the additional transponder to the list in my TV's satellite receiver is also required to receive Channel 5 and all its sister programmes (which I will not be watching).

Thanks for all the comments.

Archived