Wifi signal booster aerial for laptop?

BGD

Just a quick question -

Has anyone else used any of the cheapo wifi signal booster aerials that simply plug in to a USB port on your laptop to get onto the internet when touring in your motothome?

This sort of thing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WLAN-WiFi-Wireless-USB-Adapter-Network-Net-Signal-Booster-Aerial-Antenna-/261244905304?pt=UK_Computing_Boosters_Extenders_Antennas&hash=item3cd368e758

Do they provide any worthwhile signal gain? Can you pick up more distant wifi sources if you plug one of them in to your laptop?

Guest JudgeMental
i'm on one now in Alsace and reception a treat, whereas the IPad useless. cant remember the name but a search will divulge details of popular models...got it! mine is a faculty X

I used to use a similar one to your link BGD and while it made a bit of difference it was nothing like the Faculty-X that I currently use.

I'm on campsite wifi at the moment and while the built in wifi on my laptop is showing just one bar the Faculty-X is showing full strength.

Not sure how much the Faculty-X is nowadays but it was less than £50 when I bought mine a couple of years ago.

BGD - 2013-07-24 4:43 PM

Just a quick question -

Has anyone else used any of the cheapo wifi signal booster aerials that simply plug in to a USB port on your laptop to get onto the internet when touring in your motothome?

Bruce

I bought one of these;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rocket-Antenna-USB-External-WiFi-Booster-Range-Extender-Motorhome-Caravan-Boat-/350836665156?pt=UK_Computing_Boosters_Extenders_Antennas&hash=item51af7eab44

Plugs in via USB though you do have to install software for it which comes with the aerial. Afraid i've not used it as each site i've been on has had a damn good signal so not found the need to use it yet.

Archived