Reupholstery prices

trickydicky

Hi, just returned from the Cheshire show..had been thinking of having the van reupholstered so got a quote .All the furniture in material with a cream leather trim, 3 decorative panels, headboard for a double bed, and 1 pair of curtains,plus extra foam in driver/ passenger seats to hopefully make them more comfortable, £1725. It seems a bit steep to us. Has anyone any knowledge whether this is reasonable or not please.

Guest pelmetman

Seems a bit cheap to me, knowing how much a hide costs ;-) .................although I expect they use a lot so the cost will reduce :D............

But given the price they've quoted for the work you have itemised, then its on the right side of reasonable, and I assume you have seen examples of their work at the show and are happy? ;-)....................

Then compared to a Fiat wing mirror...........your quids in :D......

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2013-07-24 9:44 PM

Only way to find out is to get some more quotes.

Only if you compare quality Rich ;-)

pelmetman - 2013-07-24 9:46 PM

And therein lies the rub Dave - just how do you know from a supplier you have not used before - unless you get fabric samples from each supplier to compare - and then there is the workmanship - you just have to hope that it will be as good as the samples he/she show you?

trickydicky - 2013-07-24 9:34 PM

Hi, just returned from the Cheshire show..had been thinking of having the van reupholstered so got a quote .All the furniture in material with a cream leather trim, 3 decorative panels, headboard for a double bed, and 1 pair of curtains,plus extra foam in driver/ passenger seats to hopefully make them more comfortable, £1725. It seems a bit steep to us. Has anyone any knowledge whether this is reasonable or not please.

I got a quote yesterday for our van £1700.00 plus Vat so £2040.00. This was for a 5 berth van, replacing all the foam, drivers seat/passenger seat etc.New curtains and scatter cushions, all of which were standard in new van.

As we really only want the covering replaced, as it has faded, have now asked for a new quote.

I thought the price quiet high, so will not go ahead with quote. Our seats are fine, and as we mainly go to France/Spain in the sun, then no point in putting new covers on at this stage, for them to fade again.

Would be interested in others thoughts on the price

Tricky

May I ask which company you asked?

PJay

Not sure about prices but I just wonder if you really NEED to have the whole lot done anyway, or even any at all? I always make my own removable covers which fit over the existing upholstery, that way I don't have to worry about marking the upholstery at all (as I have dogs) and can do it to the colour scheme I like! :-D

I can also easily remove the covers to wash them if necessary and when the time comes to sell in the future the original upholstery looks like new!!! :-D

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2013-07-26 10:08 AM

pelmetman - 2013-07-24 9:46 PM

And therein lies the rub Dave - just how do you know from a supplier you have not used before - unless you get fabric samples from each supplier to compare - and then there is the workmanship - you just have to hope that it will be as good as the samples he/she show you?

The only thing to compare really is the quality of the work Rich, as upholstery fabrics cost what they cost ;-).................there maybe a little bit of negotiation room with the fabric, as they can usually be sourced online :D.....................but it matters nowt if you spend or save a fortune on the fabric, if the making up is cr*p *-)......

Archived