People who wear dark glasses

Mrs T

Yes I agree ,when you can't see someone's eyes it's not good for conversation. Also you don't know if their talking to you (am a shop assistant in a very busy shop) and if you know them you can't recognise them:so unless there prescription I say GET EM OFF please .pp (those mirrors ones are awfull it's like your looking at yourself in a mirror. Quite distracting) I thought it was only me being old fashioned lol

Guest 1footinthegrave
Mrs T - 2013-07-24 11:51 PM

Look pretty stupid when its not sunny, especially when they do not remove them when in conversation. If its too bright outside then stay indoors, please.

With respect perhaps instead of airing your personal distaste of wearers of dark glasses ( like my next door neighbour has to) you may want to look up Photophobia.

Patients may develop photophobia as a result of several different medical conditions, related to the eye or the nervous system. In some cases those who are born with it see the full spectrum of light. While in the direct sun light it causes red glare around the visual field which causes pounding headaches. Photophobia can be caused by an increased response to light starting at any step in the visual system, such as:

Too much light entering the eye. Too much light can enter the eye if it is damaged, such as with corneal abrasion and retinal damage, or if its pupil(s) is unable to normally constrict (seen with damage to the oculomotor nerve).

Overstimulation of the photoreceptors in the retina

Excessive electric impulses to the optic nerve

Excessive response in the central nervous system

Common causes of photophobia include migraine headaches, cataracts, Mild Traumatic Brain Injury (MTBI), or severe ophthalmologic diseases such as uveitis or corneal abrasion. (!)

By the way, you might want to change your avatar, that looks pretty stupid. ;-)

Look pretty stupid when its not sunny, especially when they do not remove them when in conversation. If its too bright outside then stay indoors, please.

I don't think it's necessarily anything to do with being " bright " weather.

I thought it was funny to see the Oxford / Cambridge boat race crews all wearing their " shades " - when it wasn't sunny.

I can only assume they were paid to wear them.

;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
malc d - 2013-07-25 8:31 AM

I don't think it's necessarily anything to do with being " bright " weather.

I thought it was funny to see the Oxford / Cambridge boat race crews all wearing their " shades " - when it wasn't sunny.

I can only assume they were paid to wear them.

;-)

Perhaps they just like wearing them, ;-) and why not. ;-) or perhaps to minimize light glare reflections from the water (!)

1footinthegrave - 2013-07-25 8:38 AM

Perhaps they just like wearing them, ;-) and why not. ;-)

(!)

.... and why not ?

Because they look ridiculous.

But, of course, that it just my opinion - others may think they look really " cool ".

;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Yes of course it's your opinion, I think it looks ridiculous to be covered from head to toe in a black bin bag, but I'd sooner see someone in sun glasses than them. ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-07-25 9:15 AM

Yes of course it's your opinion, I think it looks ridiculous to be covered from head to toe in a black bin bag, but I'd sooner see someone in sun glasses than them. ;-)

Ah, well - it's all about context.

I've not come across the people who wear bin bags.

Normally, I would agree that someone wearing a black bin bag would look pretty silly - but if I saw someone wearing one in a torrential tropical storm I would probably think it's a good idea.

Similarly, someone wearing a heavy overcoat while watching the Wimbledon final this year would also look ridiculous.

A boat race crew wearing sun glasses on a dull day look ridiculous - but, as I said, I can only think they were being paid to wear them.

:-D

Guest Had Enough
1footinthegrave - 2013-07-25 9:15 AM

I thought it wouldn't be long. *-)

Oh well, if we are talking looking ridiculous... how about these examples:

- Men wearing socks and sandals with shorts, particularly if the socks are white, and come half way up their shins.

- Men on camp sites [usually CC sites] wearing graph shirts, cravats and leather shoes with gold bits and donning jokey plastic aprons to cook on the barbecue.

- People displaying their tattoos, especially if they are of a certain age - the people I mean, not the tattoos [although aging tattoos can look a bit… errmmm ... crumpled].

- Men who insist on coming off the beach shirtless to go to a pub or café.

- Ladies tottering about in shoes with heels which are too high.

- People wearing T Shirts with clichéd slogans [‘My mother went to Benidorm and all I got was this lousy T-shirt’ type of thing].

- Young women wearing pyjama bottoms to go shopping.

I'm sure you can all add to that list.

But, no doubt they think they look the bees knees, and no doubt they think I look ridiculous in my cropped trousers, clomping about in Birkenstocks or Crocs, or wearing my Welsh rugby shirt, or my rather silly sun hat.

And, by the way, I often have my sunglasses on – they are varifocals… and the weather may have been sunny when I set off and, by the time I get to a shop it will have clouded over. Without the varifocals, I cannot see too well! And no, I don’t think I look “cool” in them. I have reached the age where I cannot look “cool”.

I’ll wear purple with a non-matching red hat if I want to! [if you get the reference.]

Gwen

A black bin bag does make a very good temporary raincoat with three holes cut into it!

I really had not seen eye contact and spectacles as an issue, but point taken.

I wear prescription spectacles with reactolite type transitional lenses and sometimes when it is very bright they are quite dark. I can still see out OK but I do take the point that eye contact is difficult.

However if I take them off I then can't really see a lot close up which kinda defeats the eye contact theory. So what am I supposed to do - carry a second pair of plain lens specs just in case it's very bright and someone wants to make eye contact - perhaps not?

Sometimes I add flip up polarising sun glasses but when talking to anyone I always flip 'em up.

So I guess we are back to our old mate tolerance?

Guest 1footinthegrave
Ginger hair really does it for me, don't they know they can get hair dyes to look normal like the rest of us, 'strewth, give me strength.

Tracker - 2013-07-25 10:12 AM

So I guess we are back to our old mate tolerance?

Nothing to do with " tolerance " - everything to do with context..

If you wear varifocals, as my wife does, there is a good reason for it.

Wearing " dark glasses " when it's dull, or raining, or it's night time - is surely not a " cool " image.

( By the way - I'll add one to Gwens' list -

- men who don't know which part of a baseball hat is the front ! )

:-D

Guest Had Enough
Gwendolyn - 2013-07-25 10:09 AM

Oh well, if we are talking looking ridiculous... how about these examples:

- Men wearing socks and sandals with shorts, particularly if the socks are white, and come half way up their shins.

Gwen

That's not half as bad as the ones who wear the same dark socks that they have for when they're wearing suits! The Englishman abroad!

In a way I'm sorry that I cannot wear socks with sandals as sandals then get incredibly smelly! I've solved it by buying a couple of pairs of sandals designed for yachtsmen etc. They are waterproof and washable. I now save my Brasher walking sandals for when I go on a hot day's hike, where there's only me to notice the pong from my feet!

Guest Had Enough
Tracker - 2013-07-25 10:40 AM

Fashion is a false god promoted by self interested business and worshiped by fools.

Wear what is comfortable and who cares what the world thinks.

Ah? I think we've found a man who wears socks with his sandals! (lol) ;-)

Great, that's livened up a dull Thursday morning. People are like sheep, nay worse than sheep cos sheep don't wear glasses. A pet comment of mine always was that 'People would buy dogs Sh** if it were presented in a pretty wrapper'

And guess what there's plastic poo available in joke shops.

Mrs T - 2013-07-25 10:48 AM

Great, that's livened up a dull Thursday morning. People are like sheep, nay worse than sheep cos sheep don't wear glasses. A pet comment of mine always was that 'People would buy dogs Sh** if it were presented in a pretty wrapper'

And guess what there's plastic poo available in joke shops.

Well, looking at your avatar I can see that at least you aren't one to be swayed by current fashion.

;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Mrs T - 2013-07-25 10:48 AM

They don't have to buy it, haven't you noticed they collect their own for free these days in little scented bags ( well only if someone's watching them) >:-)

Had Enough - 2013-07-25 10:41 AM

Tracker - 2013-07-25 10:40 AM

Fashion is a false god promoted by self interested business and worshiped by fools.

Wear what is comfortable and who cares what the world thinks.

Ah? I think we've found a man who wears socks with his sandals! (lol) ;-)

Sometimes - when it suits as suitable socks are infinitely better than blisters and sunburnt feet.

I am not alone - perhaps we should start a new fashion trend.

Just who was it that decreed that socks should not be worn with sandals - and why?

What does it have to do with anyone else who wears what with what and if all some folks have to do in life is join the fashion gestapo to criticise others then they must have very sad and pathetic lives!!

Guest 1footinthegrave
I'm more and more inclined to think that applies to the majority on here ( including me ) it's high summer and this is really all we have to do, I'm off out.

Archived