Neuschwanstein to French Alps

Guest searchforsites

Guest searchforsites

Just started planning our trip which starts in 2 weeks and thinking of going to Antwerp, Trier, Frieburg, Lake Constance heading towards Neuschwanstein.

Would then like to go Towards the French alps (AlpedeHuez)

Which is the best way?

Across Austria and Switzerland or Austria into Italy to the Alps

Doing a bit of research, Austria does not appear very MH friendly for MH over 3.5 tonne (we are 3.85)

Is it possible to cross into Italy toll free from Fussen?

searchforsites - 2013-07-25 7:37 AM

Is it possible to cross into Italy toll free from Fussen?

Yes via the Fern and the old Brenner pass roads. I am 6.5 tons and used the following route this year.

It is a good toll free route for motorhomes over 3.5 tons which almost mirrors the toll route. This is achieved by using the old Brenner Pass road, the B182. Contrary to common believe, this is not limited to just vehicles under 3.5 tons. The restriction on vehicles using this road only applies to “trucks” and vehicles towing trailers e.g. caravans. The signs erected to enforce the weight restrictions only applies to trucks.

You can check the meaning of Austrian weigh limit signs by looking at Wikipedia’s Austrian road signs.

The Fern Pass, the B314 from Fussen in Germany links to the B189 to either Imst or Telfs and is a toll free road. From either of these places the route to the old Brenner Pass road to avoid tolls is via the B171 and B174 into Innsbruck where you join the B182, the old Brenner Pass road. Some have complained that it is difficult to find and stay on the old Brenner Pass road. I did not use this route north to south but on the journey south to north I found the route well signed and did not use my truck sat nav, which of course would not route me via the old Brenner Pass. I travelled via Telfs and all the roads mention above are good wide roads but, if anything, the Fern Pass is more of a “challenge” than the old Brenner Pass!

The one problem I found in travelling this route south to north is there is no left turn from the B182 onto the B174 in Innsbruck. You must turn left at the junction before, then a right and a left onto the B174. Alternately, at the point where you cannot make the left turn, do as I did and go straight on and “U” turn at the next available opportunity so as to make a right turn onto the B174.

Safe travelling.

peedee

Guest searchforsites
Good news on the toll free route through Austria, but should I head back to France via Switzerland or go across the top of Italy?

But, you will need to check the requirement for a vignette for Switzerland. I seem to remember reading somewhere that vehicles over 3.5T have to obtain one irrespective of whether they will be using the autobahnen. Can't remember the source though, sorry - and apologies in advance if a bum steer!

If so, you will need the over 3.5 tonne version, which is of limited duration, but cheaper than the 3.5T and under December to January only version.

I think it would also be wise to check for weight, width, or height restrictions on any of the smaller passes you may plan to use.

Austria will be fine if you follow "nowtelse's" route, but make sure you avoid the parallel A12 and Landecker Tunnel, for both of which a "go-box" would be required. The B171/B180 are fine, but can be a little slow. However, the scenery is excellent and the large car park at Reschen/Resia is an excellent lunch stop from Fussen, with the tower of the submerged church emerging from the lake for added interest!

Brian Kirby - 2013-07-25 3:08 PM

But, you will need to check the requirement for a vignette for Switzerland. I seem to remember reading somewhere that vehicles over 3.5T have to obtain one irrespective of whether they will be using the autobahnen. Can't remember the source though, sorry - and apologies in advance if a bum steer!

If so, you will need the over 3.5 tonne version, which is of limited duration, but cheaper than the 3.5T and under December to January only version.

.....indeed, if over 3.5t in Switzerland, you need the HGV paperwork to use any road, not just motorways. You essentially have to pay by the day.

If simply transiting, it is cheaper than the "annual" motorway vignette, but (as there is a minimum charge) not by much.

On crossing from Chamonix via Argentieres into Switzerland, I found the transaction easy to carry out at the border, other crossings may vary.

nowtelse2do - 2013-07-25 11:03 AM

Another way is over the Fern pass then through Landeck and then through Resia (Reschen) easier than the Brenner.

Dave

I am not sure it is easier, it is certainly higher than the Brenner and possibly more scenic. I did intend to use this route but the weather was foul and I thought better of it and carried on to the Autocamp at Vipiteno where we decided to call it a day before going down the Brenner the next day in much better weather.

One advantage of using the Brenner is you would get to the inexpensive Italian motorways much quicker but you may want to do as I did and let the weather dictate which route to use.

peedee

I would be wary of taking a motorhome over the Stelvio. I seem to recall that the tunnels on the Bormio side have a low height limit (3.2 meters IIRC).

I did the pass last year on a motorcycle & was following a Caterham 7 at one point - he was having to 3-point some of the hairpins to get round ! The Merano side is the steepest, with around 42 hairpin bends - the Bormio side is a bit less intense, but has the tunnels. These are pretty rough affairs, just hewn from the rock with no smooth lining, poor or no lighting, running water from the roof and include blind corners.

We took the bikes on a trailer behind the van & stopped at a site just inside Italy after the Reshen Pass at San Valentino Alla Muta. The Reschen Pass was no problem to an '03 2 litre CI Carioca 22 towing two motorcycles on a trailer (650kg trailer weight), but I was glad I did the Stelvio on the Guzzi & not with the van !

There were a lot of signs about last year about the Stelvio area becoming a toll road, though the "GreenPass" website dosn't give any more details other than " Coming soon"

http://www.greenpass.bz.it/soon/

The pretty background picture on the above site does show some of the upper section of the pass from the Merano side - there are tighter bends in the lower sections where Caterham Man had problems getting round.

HTH

Nigel B.

Archived