Dumb Question

mojo

I have used the local weighbridge a number of times for various vans over the years.The max user payload quoted by the manufacturers are not normaly achievable before you max out on the front or rear axle loading quoted on the weights sticker.This particular van (Autotrail Tracker RB ) is no different and with the whole van weighed I still have 200 kg spare from the quoted 700kg .The rear axle is close to its 2400kg limit.

My dumb question is when the rear wheels are the only thing on the ramp to find the axle loading I am also weighing the axle and wheels also and not the vans weight bearing down on to the axle.For example,if the axle and wheels were say 400 kg should I not have a allowable weight of 2800kg before maxing out on the axle loading ?

Life isn’t a simple as that though is it otherwise all motorhomers will have suddenly gained much more payload on their axles.

If the gross vehicle weight is quoted as, say,3500 kg and the total weight of the vehicle exceeds that 3500 kg, or whatever it is,then you are overweight and what ever the maker says the payload may or may not be is totally irrelevant.

Similarly if either axle is over it's plated weight of 2400 rear and whatever it is for the front axle then load needs to be either shed or redistributed to bring both axles under their limit and the whole vehicle within the maximum total permitted weight.

The sum of the two axle limits is generally more than the total allowable so that you have some leeway in load distribution and not so that you can load each axle to it's limit.

If your rear axle weight is close to 2400 kg then you have no more payload available to use, and do bear in mind that if you add more load to the front it too will also add some extra weight to the rear axle if the extra load is between the two axles.

To reduce rear axle load you need to lose weight or add weight forward of the front axle - assuming your front axle has the spare capacity.

You might well need to reconsider what you carry!

Unless you can transfer some heavy items forward, to relieve the rear axle load a little while maintaining the overall vehicle weight. You might then be able to add new weight between the axles, so returning the rear to near its maximum but also gaining more of the advantage from the "lost" payload?

Archived