Tyre sealant gunk

Noyan

The walls and tread on our motorhome appear to be in good condition. I am wondering if I had the tyres filled with puncture protection gunk if I could get a few more years beyond the recommended five year replacement advice. Tyres coming up to four years old. And could I leave the spare wheel at home to reduce weight. Any advice please. :-S

My understanding is that DfT recomendation is 6 years max life so you've got two more years with those tyres. What use is a spare wheel left at home? If you have a puncture, or worse a blowout the spare being anything more than 5 metres away is 5/8ths of useless. If weight is such a consideration that you need to leave the spare behind then I respectfully suggest that you bought the wrong motorhome.

D.

welcome to the madhouse. Some countries require that you carry a spare wheel.. In my case the spare wheel is in the normal place for white van man. I will watch with interest when the breakdown man tries to get my spare out in the event of a puncture. I have to put the van on ramps (without a puncture) to be able to access the wheel and even then it is a bitch. However, countries and insurance companies dictate so make sure you check before ditching the spare. Dave has a point but in my opinion, because of the buggaration factor, it is wasted weight approaching 30kgs. Thats 30 ltrs of wine.

Art

Noyan - 2013-07-25 7:28 PM

The walls and tread on our motorhome appear to be in good condition. I am wondering if I had the tyres filled with puncture protection gunk if I could get a few more years beyond the recommended five year replacement advice. Tyres coming up to four years old. And could I leave the spare wheel at home to reduce weight. Any advice please. :-S

I had Punturesafe installed in my motorhomes tyres, over 5 years ago, and removed the spare wheel and carrier. No problems, so far.

I believe that Michelins advice re tyre replacement, is 10 years.

Mine are now approaching 8 years. Only this week, I removed all the wheels, cleaned them, and thoroughly checked the tyres, as part of my annual service/inspection routine. Visually, they are in good condition, with just the inevitable superficial kerb damage ( very minor). I am not planning replacement this year.

After contemplating removal of the spare, I read an article in MMM by the much respected, but sadly, now deceased, Mel Eastburn. He too had decided to do just the same, and install a tyre sealant and remove the spare wheel.

I didn't HAVE to go down this road, but chose to do so. My breakdpwn recovery company have confirmed recovery to a garage, if I have a tyre failure. Also,I do carry one of those 12v tyre inflators.

The benefits are, as someone else has remarked, being able to carry more wine, and, as with all weight reduction, improved fuel consumption,when extra weight isn't carried. With a lighter load, the tyres also have an easier life.

So it's a sunny Sunday bank holiday and you have a blowout,no amount of tyre gunk is going to seal a 4 inch gash in your sidewall and your very expensive pride and joy has to spend several hours waiting for a breakdown wagon only then to be told that they can't locate a tyre until Tuesday when suppliers reopen,why oh why would you leave your spare tyre home......I use puncture safe in my tyres just as a belt and braces but still carry my spare,in fact 2 years ago I refused to buy what I thought was my perfect Motorhome because it had no spare wheel and no provision for carrying one

In the last 15 years our family has had two tyre problems. The first was a rear blow-out at speed on the M6. The second was last year at slow speed but in both cases the tyre was destroyed. I too would not contemplate driving a vehicle without a spare wheel, except maybe a car which I was just using round town.

Hi Noyan

First of all I agree with all the advice of making sure your spare wheel is in the motorhome not at home in the garage.

We bought a spare wheel and store it in the garage of our Adria Marix as Adria like most manufactureers stopped providing a spare wheel some years back. Some of the places we go to I would definitely not want to be without a spare. I've also heard from others that they have waited up to five days for a replacement tyre in Spain and other southern European countries.

I have tyreseal in all five tyres but treat is as a first line of defence only. At £10 per tyre (installed) it's worth it and we saved weight by taking the Fiat Ducato tyre inflator/sealant kit. Not quite as heavy as the spare wheel but "every little helps".

This year the tyreseal saved us when the tyre partially deflated going on/off the levelling ramps when the wheel skidded and released air somehow, went down to 2.5 bar. Pumped the tyre back up next day and no problems since.

How much tread is left on your tyres after all those years? are they still legal?

Maybe it's my driving and front wheel drive on crappy Italian roads but after 24,000 miles I will be replacing my two front tyres on Monday as the tread on the Continental tyres is down to 1mm. No amount of tyreseal will stop external wear. Replacing with Michelin Agilis - superior tyre IMO. Interestingly the dealer could not get a Continental Vanco tyre for at least three weeks.

Oh yes and the Fiat dealer will be putting new tyreseal into replacement tyres as well.

Why skimp on one of your biggest purchases?

• 6 months later...

Archived