My new refillable bottle woes, mmmmm

Guest 1footinthegrave

Guest 1footinthegrave

So all fitted up, goes to the LPG place, fill it up ( still kept filling to 23.7 litres instead of the 21 before the 80% safety cut of supposedly kicks in, so that that was more than enough so I disconnected the gun, and then I notice the gauge was still on empty.

A call to the bottle supplier and they tell me " oh yes the gauges can stick until you've filled them a few times" and no real explanation why it kept filling either past the 80% mark either, so totally bemused, has anyone had similar issues please, thanks, Mike.

Never had any problems like that. I wonder if the bottles have been in stock a while and the floats are sticking. May all free up after driving down a few rough Welsh road. I would contact Stako direct see what they have to say (may have to brush up on your Polish).

Guest 1footinthegrave
All resolved now ( I hope ), decided to get back on to them and after speaking to a "tech support" guy at the suppliers seems all should be well, yes the gauge mechanism can stick ( should free up I'm told ) and the fact that it over filled was apparently due to the ambient temperature of the bulk tank. Thanks anyway for your post.

There is advice here

http://www.gaslow.co.uk/pdf/Filling-Instructions-2012.pdf

that a Gaslow bottle may 'overfill' initially. (I don't know which make of canister you have, but the advice may apply generally.)

Not sure why the "ambient temperature of the bulk tank" should have any relevance to the failure of the 80% cut-off valve to operate, but what do I know...

Good luck with the gauge.

I fitted mine and had the same problem with the gauge, when I contacted gaslow they said the same and about four weeks later the gauge did read full and has been ok since. I am in France and have just filled up here for the first time and the French GPL pump is much more simple than the UK.

Guest pelmetman
When Dave Newel fitted mine he said that may happen on first fill.............so I stopped filling at 22 litres ;-)

You are aware  I guess that the hoses connected to your refillables will also be filled with liquid gas as well as the bottles and depending on the length of said hoses this could account for the discrepancy in the  litres taken, happens on first fill.

vindiboy - 2013-07-27 9:22 PM

You are aware  I guess that the hoses connected to your refillables will also be filled with liquid gas as well as the bottles and depending on the length of said hoses this could account for the discrepancy in the  litres taken, happens on first fill.

I too seem to recall being told about the 'overfill' when filling for the first time - your explanation above certainly sound much more plausible than the "ambient temperature of the bulk tank" male cow poo! :D

mildi - 2013-07-27 8:28 PM

...I am in France and have just filled up here for the first time and the French GPL pump is much more simple than the UK.

I used to think that, but now I don't.

There are several designs of 'autogas' nozzle in use in France, as shown here

http://www.sanderiste.com/t190-TUTO-LES-DIFFERENTS-EMBOUTS-POUR-FAIRE-LE-PLEIN-DE-GPL.htm

and I've encountered at least three different ones when I've been refilling my gas-bottle there.

In the UK there are two types of nozzle - GasGuard or DeVissor. Both employ the same basic 2-stage principle, but the DeVissor nozzle is more user-friendly.

http://www.autogas.ltd.uk/refuelling/filling-instructions/

Over the years I've had quite a few exciting experiences with French GPL nozzles that may be OK when new (though none of the designs are, in my view, as 'safe' as the ones used in the UK), but become less so when wear-and-tear has taken its toll. I suspect that, if you come up against a really ropey French GPL pump, you'll change your mind!

Guest JudgeMental
Mel B - 2013-07-27 10:01 PM

I too seem to recall being told about the 'overfill' when filling for the first time - your explanation above certainly sound much more plausible than the "ambient temperature of the bulk tank" male cow poo! :D

yes the feeder hose in a 2 Bottle system can hold between 1-2 litres of gas depending on length of hoses...

last year i thought I had a major problem, but it was in fact a leak on this the filler side so easily sorted....

It will be the case that, when first filling a bottle, the quantity of LPG that can be pumped in will be the total volume of what goes into the bottle plus what's in the previously-empty filler-hose, but that's not what Gaslow's instructions warn against. I quote:

"IMPORTANT: FIRST FILLING ONLY. In some rare instances it is possible that on the FIRST FILL ONLY, the 80% shut- off may fail to activate. It is therefore IMPORTANT to pay attention when filling for the first time.

When using the 11kg cylinder - ensure your maximum fill is no more than 22.5litres. With a 6Kg cylinder - the maximum should be 12litres. If you are using a system employing 2 cylinders which are filled together, add the maximum volumes for the cylinders together. e.g. If you are using two 11Kg cylinders - your maximum fill should be no more than 45litres. If you are using an 11Kg and a 6Kg cylinder then your maximum would be no more than 34.5litres. Two 6Kg cylinders would be 24litres."

If the 80% cut-off valve on 1foot's bottle should limit the bottle's contents to 21 litres and (as I understand it) he managed to pump in 23.7 litres with the cut-off valve still not activating, the KISS reason would be that this was one of those "rare instances" that Gaslow warns about. The shut-off valve (like the contents gauge) is operated by a swinging-float mechanism that may well need some shaking about to get it to move initially.

With an opaque refillable bottle, unless there's the means to accurately measure the amount of LPG in it (eg. Truma's "LevelCheck" device or by weighing the bottle) there will always be the (unquantifiable) risk that the 80% cut-off valve will fail allowing the bottle to be filled completely.

Archived