Anyone want a tablet?

Mel B

I struggle to see where these tablet things sit in the range of options.

For really light pocket-able internet access, any smartphone is useful, if small-screened.

For decent internet/database/video playback etc, then a laptop is surely the only way to go....with massively more hard drive capacity, DVD drives, USB's etc etc and loads more features than a tablet.

Guest 1footinthegrave

If anyone does want one however a Blackberry playbook with 64 gb capacity can be had for around the same price, a far more superior bit of kit ( well it should be launch price was close to £500 )

I rip around 60 full length movies on to mine in MP4 format, before we go away, and hook it up to the TV via HDMI if we want to view on a bigger screen,

it also has a decent HD video and still camera, wifi connection, bluetooth, and much longer battery life than any laptop, I can also bridge it to my cheapo Nokia phone for internet access on 3g if no wifi is available, the screen is a size that is very usable, and fantastic quality, so much so it has all but replaced my laptop, especially since I've bought a cheap bluetooth keyboard for email etc as I do find the onscreen keyboard a bit of a faf like all of them, but the "suggested" word feature when composing text is quite amazing and time saving, all in all I'm a convert, although like Bruce I was not entirely convinced what it could do for me before I bought it, but it does save lugging a heavy laptop around, not too mention the space saving whilst in the van ;-)

Battery life is amazing, and although not an android device, you can sideload android apps on to it, not that I've bothered apart from one which is an English French translator that does not need internet or a 3g connection access to use.

I guess you can see I think its a fab bit of kit

Bit of a bargain here for one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACKBERRY-PLAYBOOK-64GB-FREE-RAPID-CHARGER-BUNDLE-1GHZ-DUAL-CORE-1GB-P100-16WF-/321134520765?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BUA%252BP%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BIIUM%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D121117967605%26ps%3D54

BGD - 2013-07-27 12:07 AM

I struggle to see where these tablet things sit in the range of options.

For really light pocket-able internet access, any smartphone is useful, if small-screened.

For decent internet/database/video playback etc, then a laptop is surely the only way to go....with massively more hard drive capacity, DVD drives, USB's etc etc and loads more features than a tablet.

I have a google nexus tablet which has been a godsend. We neither of us have fancy phones, just cheap payg and although we also have the laptop in the van, the tablet is invaluable to carry in my bag when we go out and usually be able to get free Wi-Fi somewhere to check on e mails from home and the weather. Much better than paying for Wi Fi on a lot of campsites or paying silly money on a phone for roaming.

These "smart" phones are ideal for travelling.......if only the damn things didn't need charging every other day! I bought one a few weeks before coming away thinking it would prove more use than humping my laptop around. I gave up on the thing after a week and having to charge it all the time (my old Nokia 7250i lasts ten days on a full charge.....and thats left switched on 24/7!).

Plus my laptop has a DVD drive (very useful) and I have all the Dell connectors enabling me to run or charge off a 12v supply if needed. And at least I don't have to keep swiping the screen with my fingers or stabbing it with a pen thing!

Ideally I would prefer a smaller laptop (mine is a 15" screen), but these "smart" things still have a very long way to go IMO regards poor battery life.

Bulletguy - 2013-07-29 1:20 PM

These "smart" phones are ideal for travelling.......if only the damn things didn't need charging every other day! I bought one a few weeks before coming away thinking it would prove more use than humping my laptop around. I gave up on the thing after a week and having to charge it all the time (my old Nokia 7250i lasts ten days on a full charge.....and thats left switched on 24/7!).

Plus my laptop has a DVD drive (very useful) and I have all the Dell connectors enabling me to run or charge off a 12v supply if needed. And at least I don't have to keep swiping the screen with my fingers or stabbing it with a pen thing!

Ideally I would prefer a smaller laptop (mine is a 15" screen), but these "smart" things still have a very long way to go IMO regards poor battery life.

My OH has the same gripe, have to charge it every day. I have a very basic old mobile which is good enough for what I use it for.

Re laptop, I went for a net book, as it has a keyboard, but no disc drive, and does not support a printer, so just use a plug in stick to transfer. battery lasts 8 hours. My lap top is now getting on a bit ( like me) but still take it with us in van, though battery does not last more than 2 hours. Thay seem to making Lap top computers bigger now, I think. I suppose because of all the tablets in use.

PJay

Archived