Payload Issues

pat-hack

Hello, Can anybody please advise me, I am looking to purchase a 6-7 berth motorhome and I was wondering if anybody had any advise/experience with what sort of payload would be adequate for this type of vehicle? The ones I've seen have been around 500-600Kg which to me seems a little inadequate as 4 adults could weigh around 250-300Kg Cheers.

Hi Pat, Our two berth has a weight in running order of 2850kgs, this includes full water tank, two gas cylinders (90% full)and the driver weighing 80kgs. Most camper specs will give this type of technical info in their brochure, downloadable on line. The maximum permitted weight allowed on ours is 3300kg giving a user payload of 450kgs. When loading up for a couple of months cruising, we find the weight is 3200kgs overall, making us under the max permitted load by 100kgs. Realistically I reckon you need to allow another 100kgs for each person, you may find it difficult to find a good user payload for seven people in a camper. I found that its not alot of good asking salesman about questions on payload, but look at the brochures yourself. Regards Terry

Hi Terry, Brian, Thanks for the advise, it looks like I should be aiming for a vehicle of around 3850Kg. I have my eye on the Chausson Flash 09 which has not yet been released in the UK and it's a little difficult finding all the details on this model, but I think there will be some at the NEC in October, then I can have a really good look. It's funny when you first start looking the Payload is the least of your concerns but down the line you realise how important it is. Especially when you might be carrying 6 people. Thanks again. Pat.

Please do not rely only on the published payloads as some of these are just pure fiction and cannot be attained. Again,one overall payload figure is not enough. You need from the manufacturer the total weight each axle can carry and the remaining payload on each of these with all habitation gear on board. You can then approximate what you will add to each axle to get some idea as to the true figures. Dont forget that you are looking not to exceed the total payload or either axle. This is only a rough guide to what is an involved subject and you cannot beat weighbridge readings when fully loaded.

Guest starspirit
If you have a convenient weighbridge near the dealer of choice ask to weigh the van of your choice, at your expense (usually no more than a tenner) before you buy it. The van will obviously be unladen but you can easily add the weight of water, gas, people etc to find out how much luggage, kit and junk capacity remains. It will also help with sorting out tyre pressures. If the dealer refuses go somewhere else.

Hi,

Don't forget that your payload goes down after you have added to your camper, outside chairs,spring assisters, wind break, table, awning or tent(very Heavy) bike rack, bikes, Tv, sat dish, books, pots,pans, ground sheet, doormats, Towbar,

I now have a payload of 15 kg or Hand luggage. but at least I have hand luggage and not a plastic wallet ( yet )

• 3 weeks later...
Pat Just a word of warning. Our Chausson Allegro was bought and registered as 3800kg. The plating on the vehicle is only 3500kg. Make sure when you view a vehicle you check the engine plating for correct weight. Refer to thread "poor service from dealership" as I am about to carry on my fight to get it plated right.

[QUOTE]starspirit - 2006-08-11 6:44 PM If you have a convenient weighbridge near the dealer of choice ask to weigh the van of your choice, at your expense (usually no more than a tenner) before you buy it. The van will obviously be unladen but you can easily add the weight of water, gas, people etc to find out how much luggage, kit and junk capacity remains. It will also help with sorting out tyre pressures. If the dealer refuses go somewhere else.[/QUOTE] Hi starspirit It's the right advice but, unfortunately, if you are buying new (from brochure) even weighing any demonstrator they may have doesn't necessarily guarantee that your 'ordered' vehicle will come in at the same weight. But it is still important to get the dealer to have YOUR new vehicle weighed when it arrives in stock and check this against the advised weights at the time of ordering. Regards, david

Dont forget that any weight carried behind the rear axle is greater than the actual weight.My spare wheel weighed 28kg but actually put 42kg onto the rear axle because it was stowed about 7 ft behind it !!Ihad to remove it & fix it behind the front seat so as to remain legal when carrying the normal stuff in the garage that one takes on holiday.I also only carry the minimum amount of water.It was plated at 3500kg but weighed 3520 empty except for myself so I had it upgraded to 3850kg to have piece of mind.Make sure you check out the weight factor & get the dealer to have it weighed at the local weighbridge with the certificate.The formular for calculating loads placed on the rear axle when carried behind it were published in the MMM some time ago. 8-)

Archived