The Motorhome Stopover book

Rees

Last year I purchased membership of the Motorhomer Stopover book paying the annual subscription for membership. I am most disappointed with this guide.

Their site on the www is difficult to use and often refuses my pass word. Also the stopover sites (mainly pubs) are primarily in remote locations to which I do not want to go. In the case of Wales the entries are ambiguous primarily because the guide relies of what pub licencees state is their postal address. Entires for Wales are sometimes under the old counties (no longer in existence) or quite frankly listed under the wrong county or town. Many entries are still awaiting information and apart from a phone number little information is given. In one case I phoned the pub to be told it had changed hands and they would not be able to accommodate my van.

So, I shall not be renewing membership. A disappointing and erroneous guide. Particularly poor on Wales and Scotland.

Is this the "club" run by the chap from Newcastle way (Kevin...??)

If so I'm surprised that people still subscribe. Since he started the operation others have followed with concepts like Britstops (seems much more professional and follows the lines of France Passion) and there are many other resources available that point towards suitable stopovers (Camper Uk?)

Plus most Pub landlords will agree to stopovers if you have a drink/meal there-assuming they have the space

Hi

Many of us complain about the lack of aires in this country, I think maybe the best we are ever going to get is something like Britstops (www.britstops.com). I like to spread the word about this because the more people use the pubs, farms, vineyards etc in the Britstops guide the more likely it is that other such places will want to get in on the act and give us more choice.

Paul

I've used quite a few pubs as overnight stops and only one refused a direct request to stay in their carpark.

I have looked at the various stopover schemes including the Motorhome Stopover (I didn't think much to the website either) because I liked the idea of having suitable locations in advance and have been using http://www.clubmotorhome.co.uk which for £10 a year has been great.

I believe Motorhome Stopover and Britstops guarrantee a free night whereas the Club Motorhome listings may or may not charge (I've never been charged by one) but if you are using the pub for food and drink its hardly 'free' anyway.

As for pubs changing hands, this happens a lot these days and you can't really blame the stopover organisation.

Lots of Pubs will allow overnight stopovers if you ask and patronise their  facilities, this is hardly a bargain though, by the time you have had an iffy meal and a pint or two you have done about £25, so why not stay on a CL or CS site for £5 -£10 club members only though and be assured of a good quiet safe night rather than an iffy pub car park ?

Archived