Pickering Traction Engine Rally

Guest Peter James

Guest Peter James

Surprised not to see anything about the Pickering Traction Engine Rally on here (1-4 Aug 2013 http://www.pickeringsteam.com/ )

I went last year and it was Great. ( I parked in Pickering, but discovered they were turning a blind eye to overnight parking on the car park, perhaps because the Camping Area was full.) Must have been 100 steam traction engines / steam rollers / steam lorries - all working, old time fun fair, stage with ladies doing the can can :$ , stalls selling engineering tools & parts, took a full day to get round it all.

Whats not to like - well maybe the weather. Can't think of anything else.

We used to go to the Pickering Steam Fair in the 90s (we're into classic cars). Not been for a fair few years but heard reports of land owned by gypsies (the next field) and lots of pilfering going on - don't know if it still happens.

Upper Car caravan site is jst down the road and is where we used to stay. Was an excellent site but again, as we've not been for years can't say what it is like now

Why not try Driffield Steam Rally as another option - MCC have a reserved area within the Showground although you have to be a Motorcaravanners Club member

AUGUST 8 - 12

DRIFFIELD STEAM RALLY

Why not try Driffield Steam Rally as an option - parking on the Showground with MCC - although you have to be a member of the Motorcaravanners Club 8-12 August

Driffield Showground Kelleythorpe Driffield East Yorkshire YO25 9DN

From York, A166 to 1st big r/about. Turn right to Kellythorpe roundablout. Showground on left.

Facilities: Water, Elsan, Toilets

The cost for the Steam Rally is £40 for the 4nighs. This includes entry

into the Steam Rally. With a £5 reduction per night if cant come for the four nights.

Guest Peter James
Bolly1965 - 2013-07-27 11:14 PM

Cheaper to exhibit - was free!

I think the organisers supply free coal too, as a contribution to the high cost of running and transporting these machines to the site. Prestons of Potto put on a fabulous show. Peter Preston has been an enthusiast for many years, his wife Ann less so. Ann is a great fan of Margaret Thatcher, copying her clothes and hairstyle. She made a speech at the end explaining she wasn't really interested in steam engines, it was the first time she had stood on one, but she had provided the funds for their show because her husband Peter was so Enthusiastic about it. She reminded me of the Sir Humphrey Appleby Quote: Better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are an idiot than open your mouth and prove it. I must try to take heed of that myself :$

Guest Peter James

just looked at the prices - £10 Pickering, £18 Dorset . (both with free parking)

I don't know why Dorset costs 80% more.

But, seeing whats there, I would say Pickering is cheap rather than Dorset expensive

Archived