travel insurance

derek pringle

lennyhb - 2013-07-28 8:09 PM

starvin marvin - 2013-07-28 2:43 PM

Just insured both of us with Insure&Go, this was the best price I could find to cover our pre-existing conditions for an annual Worldwide multi-trip policy, I had to pay extra for our next trip which is over 31days as I'm over 65.

Incidentially if you have raised cholesterol this is also a pre-existing condition which attracts an additional premium at the same rate as if you have had cancer! I guess because of the risk of a heart attack or stroke.

I think with high cholesterol it depends if you are taking statins, had this when looking into pensions I was taking statins so they offered better rates, when I got new quotes as I'd stopped taking them due to reactions I got a worse rate as not taking medication did't class it as a medical contion. Exactly the opersite to what you would expect .

I agree this is strange, because Statins are usually prescribed when the risk of a heart attack or stroke is over 15%. By definition those who are not prescribed statins are considered to be at a lower risk by their doctors. Insurance companies are indeed a strange bunch, but good at taking money.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
snowie - 2013-07-31 10:41 AM

nowtelse2do - 2013-07-30 3:09 PM

Hi derek. If (I hope) you have your EHIC card, it's an upgrade insurance of the EHIC card. Google EHIC then scroll down until you see EHICplus, click on and read.

Hi there, some interesting suggestions.

I've just Googled EHICplus, and paste the following from their website;

"The EHIC card is available free from the Department of Health.

?HICPlus Travel Insurance has no affiliation with the DoH."

It may well be good value in a very difficult market, and we all have experience of excessive or inconsistent quotes. Just don't go thinking that it is an extension of your EHIC cover, it's not.

( I really dislike companies that use this sort of "misleading" company/product naming,

regards

alan b

Whats misleading?

They state they are not in affiliated with DoH, the product is a 'top up' of EH1C to cover things not covered by the EH1C, so unlike many other products you are not paying twice for the same service.

• 4 months later...
nowtelse2do - 2013-07-31 6:07 PM

Hi Alan (snowie) I took up the EHICplus because of the recommendation of the Money Saving Expert website, but admit that I did not see the statement that you mentioned. Looking more closely at the policy it is pretty much in line with other insurers and with an age limit of 79. I took the Annual Multi-Trip - 31 day max trip at £51.93p for both of us. They do do 45 and 60 day durations either on Annual Multi-Trip or just single-trip.

All pre or ongoing illnesses must be declared and to contact them. All European Members participating in the EHIC are covered plus Andorra, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Croatia, Isle of Man, Northern Cyprus, Monaco, San Marino, Serbia and Turkey.

The main clause is that you 'MUST' have the EHIC card.

Anyone using this insurance do need to look at what illnesses are covered but it does give a long list of coverage and some activities, eg. Abseiling, Bungee Jumping (with a licensed operator) there are quite a few more.

The company Mapfre Assistance is regulated by the FSA go to www.fsa.gov.uk/register

I feel comfortable with them, but hope we don't need them :-D

Dave

Just thought I would let you know. The inevitable happened and my wife needed to see a doctor in Austria in August and get some treatment. The cost came to nearly £200. We knew there was an excess of £100 but last week we received £92 from the above mentioned insurance scheme. I put the claim in when we got back in the 1st week of September.

Quite a few letters went between us and the insurance company, mainly because I gave some wrong info but we got there in the end, so everything turned out ok and we are well satisfied with the outcome.

So when our renewal comes up next year and we go on holiday, I'm hoping the OH is reasonable and needs some treatment so I can get the premium back. ;-) :-)

Dave

Guest 1footinthegrave
Another vote for insure and go, with quite a few conditions to disclose with me and the missus, they were the only ones with a reasonable quote last time £160 against the next nearest one over £400, how good if something went wrong God knows, BUT, I have read recently that many companies insist EVERY visit to a doctor now needs to be disclosed, no matter how trivial, rather than the usual tick box ones, better check that with whatever one you go with. As for card based cover that people rely on, they may well find buried in the small print no cover for certain conditions, or as someone else may have said the need for disclosure if your aware of being a bit wonky. ;-)

If you already have insurance through your Barclays account your first step should be to speak to the insurers. You will see from the Barclays website that there is a contact number for the insurance company and a list of options for add ons and for you to declare pre-existing conditions and to pay a top up fee. That will be by far your best option.

If you do not want to go down the Barclays route then try the LV site on which you can put in your existing conditions and get an online quote.

Hi all,

I have just trawled through renewal of our policy and this is what came up for Annual multi-trip ,OVER 90 days, Over 70 (1 of us) and Pre existing medical conditions.

Comfort £169 (they would not insure some conditions and anything linked to them so we declined this but will try again next year)

LV 90 days max as many times as you like during the year £266

CCC 90 days max and only 183 days max a year £405

We went with LV and pleased to see that they came out top recommended by WHICH magazine too.

Sometimes cheap does not always cover you but at the moment if you want annual multi-trip insurance the above are the only ones I can really consider.

Chris

Guest 1footinthegrave
chris - 2013-12-07 11:13 AM

Hi all,

I have just trawled through renewal of our policy and this is what came up for Annual multi-trip ,OVER 90 days, Over 70 (1 of us) and Pre existing medical conditions.

Comfort £169 (they would not insure some conditions and anything linked to them so we declined this but will try again next year)

We went with LV and pleased to see that they came out top recommended by WHICH magazine too.

Sometimes cheap does not always cover you but at the moment if you want annual multi-trip insurance the above are the only ones I can really consider.

Chris

Chris I'm mystified why you haven't tried these as suggested by others.

"Goodtogoinsurance.com was specifically created to tackle the lack of choice in the market place for travel insurance over 65 and travel insurance for pre existing medical conditions.

We are proud to be able to provide travel insurance to travellers who have difficulty finding cover from a standard insurer due to their pre existing medical conditions or because they are over 65.

http://www.goodtogoinsurance.com/

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-07 12:28 PM

chris - 2013-12-07 11:13 AM

Hi all,

Chris

Chris I'm mystified why you haven't tried these as suggested by others.

"Goodtogoinsurance.com was specifically created to tackle the lack of choice in the market place for travel insurance over 65 and travel insurance for pre existing medical conditions.

We are proud to be able to provide travel insurance to travellers who have difficulty finding cover from a standard insurer due to their pre existing medical conditions or because they are over 65.

http://www.goodtogoinsurance.com/

I've just tried that website for Worlwide cover. Quote is £440 per couple with only cholestorol as pre existing conditions and this is for only 31 days. Very expensive.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Apologies perhaps that's not the one I used, and my last years docs ( well this years ) have since gone in the bin, bugger. :$

No they haven't, missus just found them, company was Insureandgo, covered us both for hundreds of pounds less than the next nearest quote, that was with COPD, and Osteoarthritis ages 68, 65

http://www.insureandgo.com/

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-07 1:05 PM

Apologies perhaps that's not the one I used, and my last years docs ( well this years ) have since gone in the bin, bugger. :$

No they haven't, missus just found them, company was Insureandgo, covered us both for hundreds of pounds less than the next nearest quote, that was with COPD, and Osteoarthritis ages 68, 65

Does it cover over 70,s though Mike (you still have not reached that "magical" no yet , I see.)

I am not looking as ours runs untill October next year, with Nationwide BS

PJay

Sorry 1foot but just entered age and request for multi trip annual insurance with insure to go and they cannot quote us. They will only give single trip insurance and that is not what we want.

The big factor is going over the standard 31 days; 60; 90 days. Being over 70 and pre-existing medical problems.

Very limited companies will give annual multi trip insurance for over age 70 and up to 90 days a trip.

If you want over 90 days then the only one is comfort home/ travel insurance. Otherwise you have to pay for just a single trip long stay insurance.

Chris

Guest 1footinthegrave
PJay - 2013-12-07 3:19 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-07 1:05 PM

Does it cover over 70,s though Mike (you still have not reached that "magical" no yet , I see.)

I am not looking as ours runs untill October next year, with Nationwide BS

PJay

No upper age limit......................that's what is says ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
chris - 2013-12-07 3:24 PM

Sorry 1foot but just entered age and request for multi trip annual insurance with insure to go and they cannot quote us. They will only give single trip insurance and that is not what we want.

The big factor is going over the standard 31 days; 60; 90 days. Being over 70 and pre-existing medical problems.

Very limited companies will give annual multi trip insurance for over age 70 and up to 90 days a trip.

If you want over 90 days then the only one is comfort home/ travel insurance. Otherwise you have to pay for just a single trip long stay insurance.

Chris

yes perhaps that is the case, and our average duration is around 7/ 8 weeks, and I'm reminded by the missus we only get single trip policies now as well, but non the less they were very much cheaper for those as well compared to every one else I tried, and I did try most of them last time, sorry hope you get sorted.

Hi folks, Travel insurance I HATE THOSE ON LINE get a quoteTHINGS,

I spent a lot of time on the phone yesterday after having failed to give an acceptable answer to the auto screening questions. The response to the auto inputs, repeatedly came back with "condition unknown, please reenter correctly,."

Eventually in frustration, I rang the magic help line on the 08 xx line , and got through to the screening agent.

He was unable to help, and told me to refer back to my gp, to get the proper medical name for the condition in question. (Bladder muscle failure leading to need to do self catherisation). Medically called Myogenic Bladder)

The screening agent didnt have this on his list, so put me on hold, and referred up to his doctor. Response from Doctor or whoe.ver he spoke to, was they dont know what that is, so go back to doctor and ask him again.

Net result, an expensive phone call at national rate, to a dumbo screening agent, to a Doctor who hasnt a clue about a relatively common urology problem, and no further forward to finding insurance.

Does anyone out there have any sensible and useful contacts that I could try.

I have just been trying another search engine, and run up against the same first line of screening questions, with the same brick wall,' Condition unknown' HELP.

TONYG3NWL

Guest 1footinthegrave

I think I've found it................www.halfdeadtravelinsurance.com...........

backed by www.ifyouthinkwe'llpayoutyourjoking.com

Tony, Go back onto page 1 and look at my post's if you are not going away for more than 60 days. You might find Adrian Flux's Travel Insurance helpful, I think they do for over 80's and they do do insurance for MotorHomes also but I've never had a quote for that so don't know if its ok.

Dave

tonyg3nwl - 2013-12-07 3:49 PM

Hi folks, Travel insurance I HATE THOSE ON LINE get a quoteTHINGS,

I spent a lot of time on the phone yesterday after having failed to give an acceptable answer to the auto screening questions. The response to the auto inputs, repeatedly came back with "condition unknown, please reenter correctly,."

Eventually in frustration, I rang the magic help line on the 08 xx line , and got through to the screening agent.

He was unable to help, and told me to refer back to my gp, to get the proper medical name for the condition in question. (Bladder muscle failure leading to need to do self catherisation). Medically called Myogenic Bladder)

The screening agent didnt have this on his list, so put me on hold, and referred up to his doctor. Response from Doctor or whoe.ver he spoke to, was they dont know what that is, so go back to doctor and ask him again.

Net result, an expensive phone call at national rate, to a dumbo screening agent, to a Doctor who hasnt a clue about a relatively common urology problem, and no further forward to finding insurance.

Does anyone out there have any sensible and useful contacts that I could try.

I have just been trying another search engine, and run up against the same first line of screening questions, with the same brick wall,' Condition unknown' HELP.

TONYG3NWL

Tony, is Myogenic Bladder not known as Overactive Bladder? I have no medical expertise but when you google Myogenic Bladder it comes up with Overactive Bladder.

Dave

Hi again, re query

Myogenic bladder I understand is when bladder output is blocked by prostatic obstruction , in which a second TURP is not recommended because urologist feels that resection again is more likely to result in incontinence, and not guaranteed to clear the obstruction without causing incontinence. The preferred solution is to persist indefinitely using self catheterisation. The blockage and resultant back pressure on kidneys potentially could lead to kidney failure, and the muscle has in effect been overloaded and given up.

Self catherisation is somewhat inconvenient, and just possibly might introduce a bladder infection which would need medical intervention in form of antibiotics. Hence it becomes necessary to declare it, even though the risk is small. I have a regular supply of catheters, which I have to take on holiday, and my gp will provide enough to cater for my abscence from home,, and will also provide antibiotics in case as a precaution.

The enlarged prostate has been declared as non malignant, just a function of OLD AGE the cheek of them..I am not old, just maturing nicely....

tonyg3nwl..

johnnerontheroad - 2013-07-28 10:26 AM

Hi Derek,

We used this company last year they were by far the cheapest we could find. We also had Barclays cover a waste of time if you have pre existing conditions, when we asked for a quote it was a re mortgage job.

http://www.holidaysafe.co.uk/ look bottom right insurancewith

Good luck

Dave

Thanks for that info. Dave, they've just given us (65- 74 age group), a very competitive quote, for up to 31day trips. Just waiting for "the boss" to make her mind up before accepting said quote.

Hi All,

Thanks for the contributions. A point worth mentioning that was part of another thread on Travel Insurance is the position people are in who have stand alone insurance to cover problems or whatever and yet still maintain the insurance they have through their Bank Account. A question regarding the legality or Double Indemnity arose, I for one was unaware of this and for years had my Bank insurance [ which I ignored due to restrictions on length of stay and medical condition] and had running alongside this a policy with Tesco travel ins. totally oblivious this could be wrong even though I would have no intention of claiming from the Bank ins.

cheers

derek

Guest 1footinthegrave
Off topic, but I knew of a guy once that years ago would buy a car, insure it with multiple companies, then have it disappear down his local scrappers and claim on all the policies, I know for a fact he did it on more than one occasion, before he got his collar felt for ringing cars, my missus reckons I've mixed with some dodgy folk in years gone by, I said well I've never mixed with politicians. :D

Hi again.

In the situation I find, I try to declare a condition, the insurer doesnt recognise the condition and wont quote as they dont know what the risk is.

How can they exclude a condition that they dont know,..what would they state that they were excluding.

alternatively, if they quoted and include the condition , how could they define the condition that they dont know about..

since they dont understand what it is, does it make more sense to not declare it in the first place, but that poses the question, what condition could be claimed for if it arose. They would be almost certain to state that it should have been declared in first place, and void the whole policy.

catch 22 me thinks..

tonyg3nwl.

Archived