travel insurance

derek pringle

Hi,

We have used "Insureandgo" travel insurance for the last 3/4 years as they have always been the most competitive, we have also made a claim from them, albeit it was only for the loss of some equipment NOT medical cover, but if that is anything to go by they paid out without any problems, so full marks to them.

As for the Nationwide flex account free European travel insurance, the additional premium to cover our pre-existing conditions was more than the full premium from Insureandgo,

Not sure if its relevant and just how far the cover extends, but if you have breakdown cover with ADAC they do offer as part of the Plus service an Air Ambulance service, which from what I have been told is one of the major reasons for taking travel insurance over and above just using the EHIC card. I'm not sure if ADAC provide any additional medical cover as part of the breakdown service, as that is one of the drawbacks of using a German company when you can't understand German ?LoL

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tonyg3nwl - 2013-12-07 4:58 PM

Hi again, re query

Myogenic bladder I understand is when bladder output is blocked by prostatic obstruction , in which a second TURP is not recommended because urologist feels that resection again is more likely to result in incontinence, and not guaranteed to clear the obstruction without causing incontinence. The preferred solution is to persist indefinitely using self catheterisation. The blockage and resultant back pressure on kidneys potentially could lead to kidney failure, and the muscle has in effect been overloaded and given up.

Self catherisation is somewhat inconvenient, and just possibly might introduce a bladder infection which would need medical intervention in form of antibiotics. Hence it becomes necessary to declare it, even though the risk is small. I have a regular supply of catheters, which I have to take on holiday, and my gp will provide enough to cater for my abscence from home,, and will also provide antibiotics in case as a precaution.

The enlarged prostate has been declared as non malignant, just a function of OLD AGE the cheek of them..I am not old, just maturing nicely....

tonyg3nwl..

Insure and go had an area on their medical screening for prostate enlargement using a catheter and standby antibiotics, unfortunately they wouldn't insure me for my COPD

We had travel insurance for Hungary this year. I needed emergency hospital treatment and the camp manager in telephone consultation with the local GP arranged for an ambulance to take me to Debrecen (about 30 miles away) where I was treated by two doctors. The ambulance would have taken me back to the camp as well but only after a long wait so we returned by taxi. The hospital was modern and the treatment was first class including expediting lab tests (done in less than two hours). I left with a three page report for my GP (albeit not unreasonably in Hungarian). These costs were completely covered by my EHIC. Not a reason for not having travel insurance but a demonstration that the EHIC does what it should at least some of the time. Full marks to Hungary.

We have in the past had reason to be thankful for the EHIC card, we were on holiday in Denmark when I was taken ill and hospitalised, they were really efficient and even arranged for somewhere for my wife to stay and then made sure we enough medication to last until we arrived home. Agree though that we should have other insurance to back it up.

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2013-12-07 1:05 PM

Apologies perhaps that's not the one I used, and my last years docs ( well this years ) have since gone in the bin, bugger. :$

No they haven't, missus just found them, company was Insureandgo, covered us both for hundreds of pounds less than the next nearest quote, that was with COPD, and Osteoarthritis ages 68, 65

http://www.insureandgo.com/

Dunno if the website is down but the links not working...........and just tried googling them as well :-S......

I wonder if they've insured and gone 8-)

Hi folks

I have just been on to Caravan Club and have found they will offer medical cover with all my pre existing things included.

210 pounds approx for single trip 6 week to europe including switzerland,2 persons, personal cover.

motorhome breakdown and rescue is covered by Safeguard policy.

Prices quoted are at todays figures and subject to any new year increases, not yet announced.

For me, this seems to be acceptable, so planning can proceed.

Tonyg3nwl

Hi, That link appears to put something after the .com for some reason try this

pelmetman - 2013-12-12 3:23 PM

Apologies perhaps that's not the one I used, and my last years docs ( well this years ) have since gone in the bin, bugger. :$

No they haven't, missus just found them, company was Insureandgo, covered us both for hundreds of pounds less than the next nearest quote, that was with COPD, and Osteoarthritis ages 68, 65

Dunno if the website is down but the links not working...........and just tried googling them as well :-S......

Guest pelmetman
enodreven - 2013-12-12 5:33 PM

Still not working :-S........

Hi, The link I gave is working fine for me, the one given by 1FiTHG doesn't appear to work it comes up with an error ?

pelmetman - 2013-12-12 6:01 PM

enodreven - 2013-12-12 5:33 PM

Still not working :-S........

Hi again folks.

I am just having a re read of the red pennant leaflet to understand it after yesterday's screening call.

The leaflet offers motoring and personal package, single trip plan, for 2 personsplus outfit, for the period of 45 days on the Standard package for a sum of187 pounds.

over the page it offers personal only cover single trip 24 days plus a further 21 days at 55.25 pounds per person for first 24 days, then each extra 7 days at 15.50 per person

So 110.50 plus ,(3x((7 daysfor15.50pounds)) x2persons) which if my calculations are correct works out to a total of 202.50.

Unless I have misread or misunderstood something, it is therefore cheaper to get standard Motoring and Personal cover, than it is to get personal only cover for the same period..More cover for less money..????

The figures are based on 2013 prices, and there will probably be some increase for travel next year.

The screening questions relating to my medical conditions revealed no problems provided conditions dont change before date of travel

John 47 - 2013-07-30 9:54 AM

Hi

We always use "Insure and Go" because the rates are competitive and they have no problem with either of Jenny's pre-existing conditions. Their cover is also valid for trips of up to 90 days, which is longer than some offer. Worth a look.

Not correct. I've today spoken to Insure & Go and their maximum normally is 31 days which can be extended to 60 days for additional premium. They would not cover for up to or in excess of 90 days

I'm 67 and my wife is 64.

Archived