British Aires?

Geee246

Just returned from our first trip to France where for 16 days we explored much of Normandy and touched the edge of Brittany. The weather was fantastic and I have to say that it is probably the best holiday I have had. From what I saw, France is such a beautiful country and VERY Motorhome friendly with Aires everywhere.

On our return to rainy England, we stopped briefly at a service station a few miles out of Dover where I was approached by a French lady with her partner in a Motorhome. She said that they had just come into the country and were travelling to Scotland and showed me a thick book of French Aires.

She then asked where she could get hold of one for the UK and if there were many Aires that they could stop at along their way. I felt a bit daft as I could not answer this having never thought about it before.

For my own curiosity, does the UK have these similar facilities as France and are there any recommended books that highlight where they are? :-D

Geee246 - 2013-07-29 10:20 AM

For my own curiosity, does the UK have these similar facilities as France .......................

Short answer is no.

Nearest things we've got are the CLs ( Certified Locations ) organised by the Caravan Club

and CS's ( Certified Sites ) - Camping Club.

Also check out " Britstops " - and " Nightstops " ( Motor Caravanners Club ?? ) for motorhome friendly stopovers.

I'm surprised the French couple hadn't done any research before they came over - I just hope they don't get too frustrated !

;-)

WE LIVE IN A TIGHT ARSED SILLY LITTLE COUNTRY, TRYING TO MIX IT WITH THE BIG BOYS IN THE SO CALLED EUROPEAN UNION WHO MAKE ALL THE RULES & AND WE DUTYFULLY ABIDE BY THEM! EVEN OUR LOCAL ALDI ONLY ALLOWS 90 MINS TO SHOP!!!! THE LITTLE MAN IN THE DIRTY YELLOW NOT SO HIGH VIZ JACKET IS WAITING IN THE SHADOWS.

W H A T D O C A R P A R K S D O A T N I G H T ??

just got back from 6 weeks in france, it can be expencive, but it'll do for me !

I QUOTE A FRENCHMAN........."

.ENGLAND HAS NO VISION " MARCHHARE.....RIDING THE MAGIC CARPET

while i can!!

I suggested just this to my local Council, nothing has happened. I also mentioned it to the National Trust as a way of gaining members, they seem to be advertising like mad to get people to join, so this seemed an idea.

Both have no real response, so is it any wonder that a lot of places in sunny Cornwall are struggling with tourism. :-D

marchhare - 2013-07-29 11:52 AM

WE LIVE IN A TIGHT ARSED SILLY LITTLE COUNTRY, TRYING TO MIX IT WITH THE BIG BOYS IN THE SO CALLED EUROPEAN UNION WHO MAKE ALL THE RULES & AND WE DUTYFULLY ABIDE BY THEM!

Could work to our advantage.

If we stay in the EU - aires in the UK may become compulsory.

:-D

malc d - 2013-07-29 1:18 PM

marchhare - 2013-07-29 11:52 AM

WE LIVE IN A TIGHT ARSED SILLY LITTLE COUNTRY, TRYING TO MIX IT WITH THE BIG BOYS IN THE SO CALLED EUROPEAN UNION WHO MAKE ALL THE RULES & AND WE DUTYFULLY ABIDE BY THEM!

Could work to our advantage.

If we stay in the EU - aires in the UK may become compulsory.

:-D

We live in hope, a couple of years ago some states in Belgium brought in a law making it compulsory for towns to provide Aires for Motorhomes.

Archived