12V FRIDGE MALFUNCTION

7704PZ

HI Forum , I am a Newbe and would like some help.

I have been reading all the threads about the 12v fridge problems.

I have a Ducato/Bessacarr E450 with a Dometic 3-way fridge which has desided to stop working on 12v.

I favour the relay to be at fault but I am not sure where it is ? The only relay I can find is next to the master switches in the wardrobe area.

If this is the only relay, does anyone now how it can be tested or where I can get a replacement?

One assumes that they are standard but I have no idea..thanks

7704PZ - 2013-07-29 6:16 PM

I have a Ducato/Bessacarr E450 with a Dometic 3-way fridge which has desided to stop working on 12v.

I favour the relay to be at fault but I am not sure where it is ? The only relay I can find is next to the master switches in the wardrobe area.

If this is the only relay, does anyone now how it can be tested or where I can get a replacement?

You should have a wiring diagram in the book that comes with the van?

We have for our Ducato/Sundance

PJay

PJay - 2013-07-29 7:07 PM

7704PZ - 2013-07-29 6:16 PM

You should have a wiring diagram in the book that comes with the van?

We have for our Ducato/Sundance

PJay

I have a nice wiring diagram for my Swift Kontiki and no where does it tell you where the relays are. Does your Sundance diagram have that info as it may well help?

sorry for satellite delay.

no wiring diagram that explains anything of this nature.

I have removed the fridge and checked wiring stability and the earth connections, alls good.

Fridge normally runs off the engine/alternator but after comming through a severe electrical storm in Europe recently, there appears to be a problem. works ok on 240v and gas?

Does anybody know where i might find the box of relays that operate the fridge and water pumps etc in my Fiat Ducato/Bessacar .

also , as a novice van owner, where is the best online store for parts and spares ?

It is a Ducato I have so hopefully will be similar. My engine relay box is to the right of the engine bay and just below the radiator fill/expansion bottle. To the left of the expansion bottle is the cover for the relays/fuses for the fridge etc. It is held on with two nuts and there are pipes running along the bottom to the expansion bottle.

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks, good call. This is where my van relays are also but not sure if they work the camping electrics.

Do you know if any of the relays in this box operate the fridge ? also. do you have a single relay next to your Master Circuit board in the wardrobe.

No. The relay box to the right is for the engine only. Is there a cover adjacent to the expansion tank as this is where the relays could be. I do not have a relay in the cupboard but do have one elsewhere which controls the electric step, possibly what yours is for.

No. The relay box to the right is for the engine only. Is there a cover adjacent to the expansion tank as this is where the relays could be. I do not have a relay in the cupboard but do have one elsewhere which controls the electric step, possibly what yours is for.

I trust you appreciate that this is all on the hope that Swift kept things the same. It is not a box just a cover for the relays and if the same will be right in the middle with the top running along the top edge of the scuttle and two nuts on the front. Please feed back so we can all learn.

sshortcircuit - 2013-07-29 9:20 PM

It is a Ducato I have so hopefully will be similar.

Hopefully this helps.

Hi;

As above........I don't know about your specific van; I have bespoke PVC, so it's likely to be a one-off; in most respects.

But on the basis that when I had a 3-way /12v fridge in our Ducato, it had a relay that caused some problems, I thought I'd tell you where the relay was located.

Not under the bonnet or behind the fridge..........but in the door cill! can't remember which side.

I mention this because this was obviously a good place to a) take a feed, and b) accomodate a relay

Hope this helps

alan b

Hi.

Not the obvious place but worth a try.

it appears to have power to the fridge but but not constantly, this is what leads me to think it has to be relay related.

I will check under the bonnet again with the other suggestion and feed back what i find. thanks to all.

if a relay has to be repalced, does anybody know where these can be obtained, i guess from a motorhome supplier and not just any Motor factor ?

Our motorhome is probably a lot older than yours (2002 Hymer on Ducato chassis)so this may be irrelevant. When we lost 12v on our fridge I eventually found a 3 amp (grey) spade fuse in a small fuse holder tucked into the wiring behind the battery. No mention anywhere in the documentation of its location - it was a Hymer modification inside the Fiat engine compartment. Suggest you look for fuse holders around the engine compartment.

Your fridge should have three power supplies to it.

1. A permanent 12volt dc supply from the fuseboard which supplies the fridge pcb to control the temperature etc. If the fridge is operating on gas and 220 volts then this supply is ok

2. A 220 volt supply when on hookup which if fridge working on 220 is ok

3. A 12 volt dc supply that is provided only when the engine is running. The engine alternator activates a relay which then provides a 12 volt dc supply to the fridge and this supply will be fused at or near the vehicle battery.

You need to find the relay and fuse to eliminate either. You are looking for a brown with green marker strip from the vehicle battery and a brown with blue strip from the relay/fuse to the fridge. They have to be there.

Again, not same model or make, but on Autosleepers there are two fuses hanging on cable by the vehicle battery, one is for the leisure battery split charger and the other is for the fridge. They get very corroded causing problems due to the water coming from the windscreen scuttle. Maybe Bessacarr used a similar wiring pattern.

Archived