12V FRIDGE MALFUNCTION

7704PZ

Hi and welcome to the mad house. :-D

We used to have a Chausson Flash 04 and had a similar problem which I mentioned in the attached thread which I original started due to another electrical problem, but it ended up with it being a fuse problem to the fridge:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Charging-problems-engine-battery/22204/#M245070

TOP MAN, YOU ARE A MONEY SAVER ....:)

I FOUND THE PLASTIC COVER UNDER THE SCUTTLE PANEL AND HEY PRESTO..... INSIDE WERE TWO RELAYS AND 4 FUSES.

ONE OF THESE RELAYS HAS COMPLETLY MELTED ON ONE OF THE PINS AND SUBSEQUENTLY BLOWN ONE OF THE FUSES.

NEXT QUESTION, ARE THESE RELAYS SOMETHING SPECIAL TO THE FUNCTION THEY ARE INTENDED FOR OR ARE THEY A A SIMPLE AND GENERALLY AVAILABLE RELAY FOR MANY APPLICATIONS.... CLEARLY THIS ONE HAS HAD ITS DAY AND I NOW NEED A REPLACEMENT.

THANKS AGAIN SSHORTCIRCUIT

Great, please switch capitals off. Relays are not specific to MHs so it might be worth a try at a motor factors or even a auto electricians. It looks like Swift have retained the Sargent layout.

Fuse 1 = Spare, Fuse 2 = Fridge 15A, Fuse 3 = Leisure battery 20A Fuse 4 = Vehicle battery 20A

I had a very similar problem in that the fridge fuse was melting which I put down to cheap fuses. I changed the fuse block and fitted quality fuses and have had no problems since. Good luck. :-D

• 2 years later...
7704PZ - 2013-07-29 6:16 PM I have a Ducato/Bessacarr E450 with a Dometic 3-way fridge which has decided to stop working on 12v. I favour the relay to be at fault but I am not sure where it is ?

I own a Bessacarr E445 on a ducato chassis. (2005) I had a similar problem when the Fridge stopped working as well as the omnistep alarm (also not retracting the steps) and the automatic Satellite dish (not folding down) whenever the engine was started.

I found the relay and fuse hidden inside the engine compartment. Looking from the front - at the top of the engine bay - in the centre there is an oblong black plastic box with two 10mm retaining nuts. The two relays and three fused are housed underneath. I found one fuse had only just failed and seemed to be intact at first look. The fuse are the bigger 20mm type and not the smaller standard ducato type.

I know its an old thread - but I hope someone finds this useful...

Mick G8VHB

Archived