Clearing rubbish from Heki Flyscreen

Bulletguy

My van has a Heki 2 rooflight with the usual flyscreen which I pull open whenever the rooflight is fully open. This often gets dead leaves, seedlings, and various other tiny bits of "plant life" dropping onto the screen which proves a problem in removing before letting the screen roll back.

I can't be the only person to have this problem so i'd like to know how others get rid of this stuff as eventually I can see it jamming up the 'coil back' mechanism which is far from robust anyway?

Hi, If you pull screen to half way poition twist bar diagonally across window then roll screen out fully, have someone hold to prevent springing back it can then be brushed clean, this works on mine wich is year 2006

At least your netting can be opened BG...

The skylight in our loo is a wind up Fiamma and the fly screen on that is *fixed with 8 screws :-S

. .and before now, in order to clear cobwebs, leaves etc, I've had to lean over the roof and thread the hoover hose into it..

(* unless I'm missing something obvious (lol) )

Never heard of a "wind up Fiamma skylight"!!

And whose batty idea was it to permanently fix a fly screen? *-)

I'd be tempted to 'modify' that and rip the damn thing out.....after all you don't get that many flies and bugs flying into the loo around the arse end. :D

pepe63 - 2013-07-30 5:17 PM

At least your netting can be opened BG...

The skylight in our loo is a wind up Fiamma and the fly screen on that is *fixed with 8 screws :-S

. .and before now, in order to clear cobwebs, leaves etc, I've had to lean over the roof and thread the hoover hose into it..

(* unless I'm missing something obvious (lol) )

We used to have a van with these stupid wind up ones and found the easiest thing to do is to take out the screws and remove the flyscreen (the little winding handle either pulls off or has a little screw in it I think), then put the screws back in and place some strips of sticky Velcro on the roof light edge frame and on the flyscreen you've removed so they meet up, and just stick it back on ... that way when you need to you can easily remove the screen to clean it as you only have the little winding handle to remove.

Bulletguy - 2013-07-30 5:31 PM

This is what they look like:

http://www.agentfiamma.co.uk/fiamma-vent-40-rooflight.html

I'd be tempted to 'modify' that and rip the damn thing out.....after all you don't get that many flies and bugs flying into the loo around the arse end. :D

modification as I've already suggested ... you do need a flyscreen though ... imaging being sat on the throne and a great bit fat wasp decides to come in and have a shuftie ... could be interesting with all your 'tackle' at risk!!!

8-) (lol)

Mel B - 2013-07-30 6:33 PM

Bulletguy - 2013-07-30 5:31 PM

This is what they look like:

http://www.agentfiamma.co.uk/fiamma-vent-40-rooflight.html

Thankfully my toilet/shower vent and van roof vent is a simple pull/push job and the flyscreen cover a simple "lid" which snaps shut or opens easily enough to clean out the bugs etc. Very cheap to replace and plentiful supplies.

The Heki rooflight on the other hand is an expensive bit of kit to replace if damaged with parts costing "silly money" (the gas struts are anything from £20 - 30 each), and the flyscreen mechanism IMO feels quite flimsy.

The idea of blowing the crap off is a good one though I think better than a bike pump would be a compressed air hose. Only problem with that is you've got to shut the rooflight before driving off.......which means coiling the flyscreen back in.

Archived