Questions re satellite systems

Hazy Baby

Hi all! After nearly 40 years of various types of camping including 11 motorhoming we are at last thinking of getting a satellite system! We've never been too bothered about the tele (don't watch soaps, sport etc) but as we are entering our dotage think a nice reliable system may be worth investing in so on dreary, rainy days we have a little entertainment other than each other or a good book! So what recommendations do folk have? Pros/cons of different types. Has anyone experienced vandalism or theft of freestanding dishes being left out overnight? If we choose a roof mounted model ie a dome any experiences of the extra height (40 cms) being a problem? As you can tell we are completely ignorant of the subject and if we do go ahead will probably listen to radio more than tv but we would really appreciate any tips to stop us spending lots of money and not choosing sensibly. Ta very much. Hazel

We have a Oyster system with an 85cm dish, although the big dish can be useful the further you venture away from home it come at a cost, an expensive system. Often have to lower the dish in high winds as the signal drops out with dish movement.

If you are looking at auto systems and do not want the height of a dome a friend of mine has a Snipe, he is very pleased with if. Smaller than most dishes and gives good performance half the weight of the bigger dishes and a lot cheaper about £650 plus £75 for the mounting bracket then around £70 for a 12V FTA receiver, or you could buy a TV with a built in sat receiver.

utube video here

Hazy Baby - 2013-07-31 3:47 PM

After nearly 40 years of various types of camping including 11 motorhoming we are at last thinking of getting a satellite system! We've never been too bothered about the tele (don't watch soaps, sport etc)........ and if we do go ahead will probably listen to radio more than tv but we would really appreciate any tips to stop us spending lots of money and not choosing sensibly.

Hazel

Best tip to save you spending lots of money would be buy a radio!

Why bother spending money on a satellite system if most of the time you will listen to the radio?

lennyhb - 2013-07-31 4:40 PM

We have a Oyster system with an 85cm dish, although the big dish can be useful the further you venture away from home it come at a cost, an expensive system. Often have to lower the dish in high winds as the signal drops out with dish movement.

If you are looking at auto systems and do not want the height of a dome a friend of mine has a Snipe, he is very pleased with if. Smaller than most dishes and gives good performance half the weight of the bigger dishes and a lot cheaper about £650 plus £75 for the mounting bracket then around £70 for a 12V FTA receiver, or you could buy a TV with a built in sat receiver.

utube video here

Thanks for all this info! We have looked at the Snipe and liked what we saw but thought you could not mount it on roof - only use it freestanding. Are we wrong? Hazel

We need to resolve a few variables here first methinks?

Do you want to just switch on and play or are you happy to faff about rigging it all up, in which case do you have storage (and the inclination) for a removable or free standing dish and stand, or would twidling knobs and handles to tune it in as with a cheaper non self aligning roof fixed dish suit you?

How about the added height of a dome on the roof - does that concern you - if so you can get fold flat self seeking dishes which are a bit lower.

As good a place to look to start with is the Roadpro website and if we can ascertain a few of your buying parameters as above together with your perceived budget you stand a better chance of getting an experience based reply.

Definitely don't want to faff Tracker! Have seen people on site take ages in all weathers setting up. We just want to press a button or two and go!!! Yes, the height does bother us slightly. We've just exchanged from a 3 metre high Knaus to a 2.8 metre Laika so don't really want to go back to having to watch fuel station headroom which always seems to be 3 metres. We have looked on the Roadpro website and will ring them for advice but first thought we would ask the experts ie the people who have systems on this forum! Hazel

Hazy Baby - 2013-07-31 5:14 PM

lennyhb - 2013-07-31 4:40 PM

utube video here

Thanks for all this info! We have looked at the Snipe and liked what we saw but thought you could not mount it on roof - only use it freestanding. Are we wrong? Hazel

They now do a roof mounting plate at £75 (that's what I meant when I said bracket), it's a bit expensive for a bit of aluminium but even with the cost of the plate it is still a cheap system. Friend got reception in mid France OK but don't know how well it will perform when the new Astra satellite comes on stream. Worth making sure any receiver you buy can tune into other satellites, if you can get Hot Bird at least you will be able to get BBC news over most of Europe.

Thanks Lenny. The Snipe is certainly a front runner as it can now be roof mounted and as you say good value for money. The OH is a bit neurotic about leaving stuff loose outside the van especially when on Aires/wlld camping. Hazel

Hazy Baby - 2013-07-31 5:30 PM

Definitely don't want to faff Tracker! Have seen people on site take ages in all weathers setting up. We just want to press a button or two and go!!! Yes, the height does bother us slightly. We've just exchanged from a 3 metre high Knaus to a 2.8 metre Laika so don't really want to go back to having to watch fuel station headroom which always seems to be 3 metres. We have looked on the Roadpro website and will ring them for advice but first thought we would ask the experts ie the people who have systems on this forum! Hazel

I think you are still going to be pushing 3m, depending what website you look on the Snipe is either 188mm or 195mm high without the mounting plate.

Are you sure about 3m at filling stations I would have thought 4m was more the norm. My van is around 2.8m never seen it come anywhere close to a filling station canopy.

Perhaps we have just been unlucky with the height issue. On a few occasions in France we have used the HGV pump (with permission!) when we had our Knaus. But going over the 3m in itself would not stop us buying a suitable system. Hazel

We've just bought the Snipe system and it's wonderful. We haven't fixed it permanently yet but just lift it up through the Skylight when we get on site. Locks on in less than 30 seconds and good coverage down in Cornwall last week. Loads of pre set satellites to chose from at the press of a button.

I'm not sure the mounting bracket is worth the £75 We've got a friend who works in a fabrication shop who will get us an aluminium plate drilled and countersunk to fix the unit to and then either use Silkaflex or drill through the roof to fit.

I would wait until the new satellite is launched in September as it is doubtful whether motorhome satellite systems will be able to receive pictures/ radio programmes in most parts of Europe as the beam will be more focused on the UK.

Mike88 - 2013-07-31 6:33 PM

I would wait until the new satellite is launched in September as it is doubtful whether motorhome satellite systems will be able to receive pictures/ radio programmes in most parts of Europe as the beam will be more focused on the UK.

Firstly thanks, Donna. Snipe looking even better. OH would probably be able to sort out a fixing plate.

Mike - we are know about and are concerned about these changes but as we are off to France at the beginning of September would ideally like to have a system to go with! Oh, decisions, decisions..............Hazel

Hi Hazel

We have a 40cm dome, which puts us at 3.2 height, but not a problem, just be watchfull. Ours gets UK Tv down most of France and gets it in Northern Spain. Used to have a free standing Maxview, but gave up as took to long to find a satelitte OH is think of getting a 1 metre free standing for southern Spain, where we often stay longer, so worth the effort of faffing!!!Have noticed that dishes wobble around in high winds, and have seen some strapped up

Personally I think the dome is best, you can always get something to watch or we take DVD's and a cheap player, as our TV does not have a disc player in it.Waiting to see how the new stations work out, as we hope to go to France in Sept/October

PJay

PJay - 2013-08-01 6:00 PM

Hi Hazel

We have a 40cm dome, which puts us at 3.2 height, but not a problem, just be watchfull. Ours gets UK Tv down most of France and gets it in Northern Spain. Used to have a free standing Maxview, but gave up as took to long to find a satelitte OH is think of getting a 1 metre free standing for southern Spain, where we often stay longer, so worth the effort of faffing!!!Have noticed that dishes wobble around in high winds, and have seen some strapped up

Personally I think the dome is best, you can always get something to watch or we take DVD's and a cheap player, as our TV does not have a disc player in it.Waiting to see how the new stations work out, as we hope to go to France in Sept/October

PJay

Thanks PJay. This is all useful advice. As I've said the height issue in itself would not stop us buying if the system is perfect or as near as in every other way. We do fancy the dome but are now very drawn to the Snipe as for one it is cheaper, seems to be just as faff free and as our new van is very crowded with four roof lights would probably be easier to find space for! If we do make our choice in the next week or so will we be silly buying just now what with all the changes taking place? Should we wait and go to France in September "sans television"? Hazel

Hazy Baby - 2013-07-31 5:12 PM

Because when in Europe and no wifi we do miss Radio 2 and 4! We will watch some tv - not telephobes - just selective I suppose. Is there any other way for radio except wifi or satellite? Excuse my ignorance...............Hazel

I use Radio Downloader which will download any programmes you want.....including R2 and 4. I have literally hundreds of hours of listening on my hard drive which I then copy (don't ever move 'em!) on to a flash drive to use in the van.

An 8gb stick will cost no more than £1.50 and give hours of listening!

http://radio-downloader.en.softonic.com/

Bulletguy - 2013-08-02 11:32 AM

Because when in Europe and no wifi we do miss Radio 2 and 4! We will watch some tv - not telephobes - just selective I suppose. Is there any other way for radio except wifi or satellite? Excuse my ignorance...............Hazel

I use Radio Downloader which will download any programmes you want.....including R2 and 4. I have literally hundreds of hours of listening on my hard drive which I then copy (don't ever move 'em!) on to a flash drive to use in the van.

Thanks! What more can I say.............but this listening abroad lark is just getting more complex - well tons more choice that I thought anyway!!! Hazel

Hazy Baby - 2013-08-02 2:22 PM

Bulletguy - 2013-08-02 11:32 AM

Thanks! What more can I say.............but this listening abroad lark is just getting more complex - well tons more choice that I thought anyway!!! Hazel

Not wishing to complicate matters further but there are a huge variety of Radio stations from around the world which you can stream such as here;

http://www.live-radio.net/info.shtml

http://www.shoutcast.com/radio/World

http://www.mikesradioworld.com/

The CD/radio in my van has a USB port and I just plug a stick in with loads of programmes on. To be honest I have that many programmes downloaded at home, i've never heard half of them! The radio in my van is a Pioneer but wasn't expensive (about £50), but many others have a USB facility which is very useful.

Archived